So this might be the wrong place in the forum, but I kinda need suggestions. I just got an SG today and I love it so much. Only problem is the guitar and case smell like cigarettes from whatever dickhead of an owner it had before. Any ideas on how to get rid of the odor?
Lots of baking soda.

Or coffee grounds in the case.

There are enzyme deoderizers.

Put the case, open, in the sun.

Or just air it out for several weeks.
Fabreze spay and put a couple of scented dryer sheets in the case.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
So then.. wouldn't this be called third-hand smoking?
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
I ordered pups from a guy who hand winds them. They are called Robusta, and they smell like cigars. Its lovely smelling and sounding. I even told the guy setting up the action to smell the pups.
Take the guitar apart and detail clean it with an ammonia based cleaner like Windex then oil the fretboard with a lemon oil. Use a spray on carpet cleaner on the inside of the case as per the directions on the spray can and Windex on the vinyl. Easy Peasy.
"It's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war"
Last edited by Smith357 at Jun 3, 2017,
Quote by ImNeverSalty
it's called CHARACTER!!!!

C*A**(N)C*ER
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
When my exwife burnt down my house about 12 years ago the insurance company told me to use listerine mouthwash to clean the smoke out of fabric.  It actually works very well.  I don't know what it is about the Listerine brand but other brands don't work.  If it can get the smoke of a burnt down house out of a sofa I bet it can get the smoke out of your guitar case.  If you get the smoke smell out of the case the smoke smell on the guitar will fade quickly.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 4, 2017,
Quote by CorduroyEW
When my exwife burnt down my house about 12 years ago the insurance company told me to use listerine mouthwash to clean the smoke out of fabric.  It actually works very well.  I don't know what it is about the Listerine brand but other brands don't work.  If it can get the smoke of a burnt down house out of a sofa I bet it can get the smoke out of your guitar case.  If you get the smoke smell out of the case the smoke smell on the guitar will fade quickly.

ExWives.

WE KNOW A THING OR TWO BECAUSE WE'VE SEEN A THING OR TWO
Allstate Insurance.
Quote by CorduroyEW

I dunno what happened between you and your exwife, but uh.. I think burning down someone's house is a crime..

Anyways, won't his guitar smell like mint afterwards?
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Quote by Parac
I dunno what happened between you and your exwife, but uh.. I think burning down someone's house is a crime..

Anyways, won't his guitar smell like mint afterwards?

Hence the terminology on eBay, Reverb, etc., "Mint Condition".
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I wouldnt spray is with anything if it is a nitro finish listerine would probably melt nitro too.
Last edited by geo-rage at Jun 4, 2017,
Quote by CorduroyEW

There is a Blues/C&W song in there somewhere.

Quote by geo-rage
I wouldnt spray is with anything if it is a nitro finish listerine would probably melt nitro too.

I'm not suggesting they spray the guitar with listerine.  Just scrub the case with it and let let the case fully dry.  Once dry it's not going to harm the guitar.  I still have the sofa from that fire and many of my guitars have spent hundreds of hrs sitting on it.
Not taking any online orders.
Werd!

Quote by CorduroyEW
I'm not suggesting they spray the guitar with listerine.  Just scrub the case with it and let let the case fully dry.  Once dry it's not going to harm the guitar.  I still have the sofa from that fire and many of my guitars have spent hundreds of hrs sitting on it.
i know. Im just saying...