Hey everyone. Hope you are all doing well. I've just been doing my thing and going through youtube watching guitar covers etc. I hope someone could give any advice. Its in regards to barre chords. I can play barre's no problem, however i've always struggles with one thing. For example, when i play a B barre chord, i always go to the 7th fret and play in average shape. When i've seen many guitar videos and people live, they play a B on the 2nd fret using only the 2 fingers. I have tried many times to do this to open up more options to play barres all around the neck, but just cant seem to do it. Is there any advice anyone can give on this. I dont mind running up and down the neck, but it would be useful for certain songs e.g the who 'cant explain'. Many thanks
Is the problem that you don't naturally play the 2nd fret B during a song, or that you don't have the knowledge of every note on the fretboard to play different variations of barre chords? If the former, then you just have to remember while you're playing the song that you want to play the 2nd fret B, and not the 7th fret B. Otherwise you can just learn more unusual barre chord shapes and work out where to play them for the current song you're playing.
rye93 Think of the nut as fret zero of the guitar, and that, instead of your fingers holding the strings down on that fret, the tension from the tuning pegs does the same thing.  Any chord that involves an open string can be thought of as using fret 0 on that string.

E.g:  A major triad...

e: x
b: 2
g: 2
d: 2
a: 0

This can be slid up the neck, so long as the overall shape is maintained.  This will keep the chord type exactly the same, but just change the chord root.  If the shape is changed somehow, you are changing the chord type.

So, slide up two frets, and you have B major triad ...  Instead of the nut, your finger acts as the nut, by placing your finger just behind the 2nd fret.  ( A capo does exactly the same)

b: 2+2   4
g: 2+2   4
d: 2+2   4
a: 0+2   2

and so on.

Next: in standard tuning, the 5th fret of the bass E string and the open A (fret 0) of the A string are tuned to produce the same pitch (so are called the same).

So, if fret 5 on the E string is "A", and 2 frets higher on that string creates the pitch B therefore 2 frets above fret 0 on the 5th string must also produce a B.

A useful little tip for finding the same note on an adjacent string pair is this:

Think of the shape your hand makes when you play the bottom two notes of a minor pentatonic.  For example., frets 5 and 8 for A minor pentatonic.  Put your hand on the neck and look at this 2 finger shape, and in particular look at your little (or 3rd) finger in the shape.  Practice relocating that shape, concentrating on your little finger and ensuring your first finger is always 3 frets lower.  Get used to that, even with your eyes shut.

Once you've got that nailed (should only take a couple of minutes), now put your little (3rd) finger on the neck (e.g at 9th fret on bottom E string), and visualise that shape you'vge been practicing (see in your mind's eye your 1st finger at the 6th fret, but don't actually play that).

Next, pretend you're targetting 2 frets lower (the 7th fret in this case) with your little (3rd) finger, and hence viusalise where your 1st finger has to be, to maintain the shape you've been practicing. (i.e visualise the 4th fret).  

Practice this, so you can now easily visualise moving down by 5 frets from where your little (3rd) finger was initially.  Try with your eyes closed.

Finally, once this is nailed (may take another 3 - 5 minutes), then simply change strings with your 1st finger at the same fret.

So, you'd start at 9th fret 6th string.  Visualise the 7th fret (pinky), and hence the 4th fret (using the "minor pentatonic bass string shape") for where your 1st finger should go, but then play the 4th fret on the 5th string.  This is the exact same pitch, same named note.

Do the same in reverse, when you want to go from a note on a higher string to the same note in the adjacent lower string.  This time you move up 5 frets on the upper string, and then cross at that fret.

(This has to be modified if the string pair involved is the 2nd and 3rd strings... here the distance is 4 frets rather than 5)

In reality, the ascent or descent, and crossing, all takes place "at once", as you get used to it.

With this, you can then easily find the same chord root on different strings.
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jun 4, 2017,