Hey all,

Been playing guitar for about 12+ years now. I own a Gibson Flying V and am on the market for a new addition,

My budget is up to USD 1.5k and I'm looking for something which would be good long term (similar to my Flying V which still plays really well)

Reason for looking a new guitar: playing style has changed quite alot since I picked up guitar, shifting from heavy metal to rock / blues so I'm thinking a Stratocaster could be the way to go.

I'll be in Japan in a few days and have heard alot about the guitar market there so will hope to make my aquisition there. 
Any recommendations on what would be a good model to "invest" in, Strat USA vs. Strat Japan?

Or If a Les Paul could also be a good way to go?

Thanks! 
Well, it would help if we knew your amp. A V can play Rock and blues pretty well with the right amp, pedals and knob tweaking. So would a LP.

That said, Japan has some tasty stuff. Even if you don't need a new guitar, one would still make a hell of a souvenir.

The Fender Aerodyne springs to mind.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Japan-Exclusive-Aerodyne-Stratocaster-BLK-Electric-Guitar-Musical-Music-/142403662029?hash=item2127eb70cd:g:JXgAAOSw71BXQATX

Brands like ESP/LTD, Fernandes/Burny, Edwards, Killer, Fujigen, Ibanez and others are based in Japan, and some stuff rarely leaves the home market.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz Thanks alot! I'll look it up when I'm there looks awesome!
Haven't invested in a great amp yet, using the Marshall MG30CFX

As for pedals I try my best not to use any, but I own an old BOSS GT-8 which I play around with every now and then
As a general note, Ishibashi Music Club is an okay place to start as there are chains all over the country, and they do get some Japan exclusives. My Japanese Tele isn't quite on the same level as my American one, but I also paid about half the price in the respective local currencies. Happy trails and enjoy Japan! It's awesome here.
I am a fake mountain.
i don't think "invest" is the right word. it's highly unlikely you'll make any money, or even get back what you paid (unless you keep it for years so inflation does that for you, but that doesn't count ) if you buy new, even if you buy the most sought-after brands.

that being said (and be well aware that past performance isn't necessarily a guide to future performance), a USA fender is probably the better "investment".

but there's a lot of cool japanese stuff if you just want a good guitar- tokai, edwards, bacchus, schecter japan, navigator, etc. etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc Thanks for the input!  just to clarify I'm not looking for something that'll appreciate in value I guess that was a poor choice of words on my part. I'm more interested in something that will be durable and that I won't get bored of too quickly. For now I guess I'm leaning for the Strat Aerodyne which seems to have pretty solid reviews
(imo)  A Gibson Flying V can cover Rock / Blues perfectly.... Albert King, Lonnie Mack even Hendrix pulled out a "V" for Blues numbers and of course a "V" has no problem in the Rock realm... pup change if it has the Ceramics is optional (me, I like them).... 

You mentioned your only amp as a Marshall MG30CFX... it's cool but (imo) I would upgrade the amp before buying another guitar..... Get a decent tube amp to go along with that Flying V and you will be in tone heaven.
Quote by karlbachian
Dave_Mc Thanks for the input!  just to clarify I'm not looking for something that'll appreciate in value I guess that was a poor choice of words on my part. I'm more interested in something that will be durable and that I won't get bored of too quickly. For now I guess I'm leaning for the Strat Aerodyne which seems to have pretty solid reviews
The Aerodynes are super cool, but to be honest most of the brands mentioned in this thread are worth a look if you have the time
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by karlbachian
Guitaraxe Anything specific you can recommend on the amp side?

Lots of options out there, at all kinds of prices, power levels, and speaker configurations, depending on what you're looking for ...

Peavey Delta Blues 115
Fender HRD, Bassbreaker series
Supro
Mesa Transatlantic, Royal Atlantic, Triple Crown, others
Carvin Nomad, Belair, Vai Legacy 3, V3, V3M
Quilter Aviator Gold, Mach 2, etc. (all non-modeling solid state)
Vox AC15, AC30
Orange Rockerverb, Thunderverb, etc.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Then there's all those boutique brands, like Dr. Z, Tone King, Divided by 13, etc.

Quote by Tony Done
With that amp and that kind of money, I would be thinking about spending the bulk of it on a new amp, such as listed in danny's post above, and a modest HSS strat. The sound is in the amp and pickups, not the lump of wood.
I might agree normally, but it's not every day you get easy access to the Japanese guitar market, and I'd say it's an opportunity worth seizing Also, the "just get an HSS Strat" recommendation still makes me die a little inside, but I realise most people have a higher opinion of that setup than I do.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jun 5, 2017,
Quote by Tony Done
With that amp and that kind of money, I would be thinking about spending the bulk of it on a new amp, such as listed in danny's post above, and a modest HSS strat. The sound is in the amp and pickups, not the lump of wood.

I'm not sure that I see things from that perspective (guitar as "lump of wood"). I've always viewed it as the actual instrument, and one that can be fed through a bunch of electronic gizmos to get a specific sound, whether tube amps, solid state, modelers, or direct to a DAW or computer.

There's also this: the Variax guitars I have exist because guitars DO make a lot of difference in the sound of things. If you're not just playing into a wall of gain, that is. There are very distinct differences between strats and teles, LPs and 335s, a Super 400 and a Rick, and even between the various 12-strings.

One other thought -- if he's got the opportunity to look into the Japanese guitar market, I'd suggest that he look at the Japanese guitars that are SO much easier to find there. A lot easier to ship somewhere else than most amps.
Quote by karlbachian
Guitaraxe Anything specific you can recommend on the amp side?

Tough call as there are loads of different tone variations in the Rock and Blues realm. What kind of Rock and Blues are we talking about? 

Dannyalcatraz's list looks like a pretty good one for starters. I'll add a Fender DRRI to the list if you are interested in that "blackface vibed" mid-scooped Fender clean tone with tube driven reverb and vibrato. Lots of people will take that amp and use it as a clean base/ pedal platform. Trying one, if anything, can give you a base Fender tone to be familiar with then you can take it into other directions.
Quote by karlbachian

Ah no worries, sorry for reading too much into how you worded it. Just sometimes you get people asking which guitar they should buy which will definitely increase in value, and if we knew that we'd all be buying them!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dspellman 

Yeah, I see the instrument as a modular device comprising the transducer, amplification chain, hardware and timber, and your Variax fits fine into that framework. I agree that different pieces of wood give different sounds to some extent, but it it well down my list of variables, plus I like my guitars very plain-looking. Just a different POV.

K33nbl4d3

That reminded me that Japan could be a good place to buy used. For a long time  the mainstay of Tym Guitars in Brisbane, where I bought my (used) Gibson, was importing used guitars from Japan. Apparently the Japanese like to buy new, so used prices are low, at least compared to Oz; it might not look so attractive compared to the US.

Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 5, 2017,
Quote by Tony Done
Apparently the Japanese like to buy new, so used prices are low, at least compared to Oz; it might not look so attractive compared to the US.

[anecdotal nonsense]This is partially true (I rarely see cars from more than 10 years ago), but it's also worth noting that there are exceedingly high standards for what shops will buy back at a half-decent price. If only used pedals weren't so needlessly expensive. [/anecdotal nonsense]
I am a fake mountain.
Quote by Tony Done
dspellman 

Yeah, I see the instrument as a modular device comprising the transducer, amplification chain, hardware and timber, and your Variax fits fine into that framework. I agree that different pieces of wood give different sounds to some extent, but it it well down my list of variables, plus I like my guitars very plain-looking. Just a different POV.

Sort of the Amish Aesthetic ("very plain looking")?

I did not, of course, mention anything about different pieces of wood contributing to the differences in sound, but certainly the construction has some say. And I think you'd agree that pickup types and placement affect sound (piezo bridge pickups, three single coils on a strat, toaster pickups on something else, P90's on another guitar, etc), as does scale length. Even a mostly-acoustic player can identify differences in size, shape and wood selection of his guitars In addition to sound, there's a pretty wide variation in playability, and a jumbo-fret wide-fretboard, 20" radius thin neck 27" scale guitar will be noticeably different from a 24" scale flat-fret 7.5" scale, etc.

If I've got a choice between a "lump of wood" and a great-playing guitar with a specific sound (and they do have a specific sound), I'm going there first. It's where the rubber meets the road. Modifying the signal after that can happen a lot of ways, including several that really don't involve an amplifier as a purchased "lump" at all.
dspellman 

I had a brief spell working in Hutchinson, Kansas, and we had trials close to the Amish village of Yoder, so I used to go there for lunch. What the ladies lacked in fancy, they certainly made up for with good food and nice smiles.

I agree that all those things make a difference, but I'm not very sensitive to most of them, pickups and their placement being the big exception, as I only play slide on electrics, andhave  all kinds of neck shapes and sizes in acoustics. Put it this way, I would walk past a whole rack full of LP Standards to get to an LP Special with P90s.
Quote by Tony Done
dspellman 

I had a brief spell working in Hutchinson, Kansas, and we had trials close to the Amish village of Yoder, so I used to go there for lunch. What the ladies lacked in fancy, they certainly made up for with good food and nice smiles.

I agree that all those things make a difference, but I'm not very sensitive to most of them, pickups and their placement being the big exception, as I only play slide on electrics, andhave  all kinds of neck shapes and sizes in acoustics. Put it this way, I would walk past a whole rack full of LP Standards to get to an LP Special with P90s.

We had a ton of Amish in eastern Iowa -- pretty much grew up with them.

Because you only play slide, you have a very different perspective and even an indifference toward some things that are important to most guitar players.
Looks in a guitar matter to a LOT of people. In fact, beyond looks, the name decal on a headstock can mean a lot to some folks. But finishes, inlays, binding, metal plating and even the color of a switch handle can matter to some others. On the other end of things, look at how many drool over a guitar hosed down in matte black. It's all a matter of taste. Or the lack of it.
DanTheHobbit thanks! I'm not sure if you live there or not but any insight regarding the whole applying for a license? I got in touch with a few vendors in Tokyo all of whom said it takes 2-4 weeks to receive that license (for certain restricted woods) from the day of purchase.
Am I right in understanding that there's pretty much no chance of me testing a guitar and walking out with it?
karlbachian I'm an American living abroad outside of Osaka. I've purchased 4 guitars (a MIJ Tele, an Epiphone acoustic, a Martin, and an Epiphone Explorer) from the guitar shop in Kobe, the first of which was done within a couple of weeks of arriving here 4 years ago. Never did they ask to see my identification to verify my home country or resident status, but none of the guitars have any restricted woods.

How likely/realistic is it that you're going to buy something with a rare wood?
I am a fake mountain.
Well, I had for years a Les Paul then I bought a Strato. But now I think that maybe the best choice was to buy a PRS guitar. They are so versatiles. If you didnt check them, you should take a look, you can play funk to hard rock. Good luck
dspellman 

Yeah, my opinions are off the beaten track and represent a minority (of one?) view, and I do tend to overstate my case a bit. In fact, I might be something of a hypocrite, because although I frequently refer to the guitar as a lump of wood, I'm just as concerned with aesthetics as anyone else, maybe more than most, but it is minimalist. It isn't easy to explain, but in my world too much bling is a distraction (misdirection?) from functionality. I feel the same about acoustics, but not to such a marked extent. - I've had some robust arguments with soundhole sniffers who go on about fancy timbers.
Tony Done

The beauty is in the functionality.

You'd make a great Tolkien dwarf.

Quote by Tony Done
dspellman 

Yeah, my opinions are off the beaten track and represent a minority (of one?) view, and I do tend to overstate my case a bit. In fact, I might be something of a hypocrite, because although I frequently refer to the guitar as a lump of wood, I'm just as concerned with aesthetics as anyone else, maybe more than most, but it is minimalist. It isn't easy to explain, but in my world too much bling is a distraction (misdirection?) from functionality. I feel the same about acoustics, but not to such a marked extent. - I've had some robust arguments with soundhole sniffers who go on about fancy timbers.

And yet, I respect your opinions.

I'm somewhere in between -- I like "pretty" and I have some guitars that were heavily designed to be pretty -- some very fancy woods, inlays, bindings, etc. OTOH, I've got some pretty plain guitars as well, and I've got a bit of reverse (perverse) snobbery in there somewhere, because I've *always* felt a bit smug about getting really good results out of gear that others stick their noses up at (I think there's a grammar lesson I missed there somewhere).
Woooot!

What color? When do you get it in your hot little hands?

dannyalcatraz Picked it up straight away Haven't touched my V in 2 weeks haha - feel like a traitor a little.
Got the dark blue one. Loving it! Thanks again
Hello. I just started a new company building custom guitars at a reasonable price. Please feel free to check is out.*nope*
Hello, don't bump old threads to advertise. 

Also don't make threads in EG advertising either please. 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.