I have a Mesa Recto 2x12 vertical slant cab (V30s) and I run a 100 watt head through it; usually have the volume at 11 or 12 o'clock. I'm thinking of getting an ENGL Savage because I found one used at a very fair price, but now I'm a little concerned about cab/head wattage match. I realize that on paper they are both 120 watts, but I've heard that amp heads can push out more juice than their 'on paper' rating. 

If I run the Savage at 11 or 12 o'clock volume, would I be at risk of pushing the speakers too hard and potentially flirting with a costly mechanical failure? 
No. What you're describing is basically correct, but it doesn't tell the full story.

The rated RMS wattage for speakers and amplifiers is only based on an average for continuous load. In reality, the amount of power an amp is actually pushing and the amount of power the speaker can handle varies (and be greater than the RMS) depending on the frequency you're reproducing, the duration that you're playing at that frequency, and of course, the amplitude.

Speakers can reproduce at wattages that are much higher than their rated RMS wattage, and this is sometimes called the speaker's peak wattage (You might've heard this term be thrown around by marketing ads for car stereo systems). This amount of power can be multiple times greater than the RMS. But this power can only be handled by the speaker for a brief period of time before the voice coil overheats. It's exactly the same story with the amplifier, and this is likely where you got your internet wizzdumb from. The RMS rated wattage for an amplifier and the power handling for a speaker is based on an average for continuous load. Your cabinet can handle 120 watts continuously, and so can the ENGL Savage.

In layman's terms, as long as the RMS of the cabinet isn't exceeded by the amplifier, you'll be fine.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Even simpler, are you planning on playing any louder?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

In layman's terms, as long as the RMS of the cabinet isn't exceeded by the amplifier, you'll be fine.

T00DEEPBLUE is correct about this, but it should not be laymans terms, it should really electrical engineering terms.

There are RMS Watts which are real Watts (actually very close, but some very complex differences can be cited) and there are BULLSHIT Watts which manufacturers use and call them "peak", "music peak" which are not what the amp is capable of producing and the speaker capable of taking for more than a few milliseconds (if at all). The law should be changed so that using these BULLSHIT Watts is illegal.
Quote by DarthV
Even simpler, are you planning on playing any louder?

I'll never pass 12 o'clock, 100% certain of that. Will be at 11/11:30 95% of the time. 
you'll probably be ok if you're using celestions (they're pretty conservatively-rated, from what i hear, though i haven't tested it myself), but it's a "do at your own risk" type of thing. But as long as you don't crank it to 10, you'll probably be ok.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I emailed Celestion and got a quick response -- they said it's safe. 
yeah i thought they would likely say that, that's what they said when i emailed them a good while back about using two 25 watt greenbacks with a 50 watt tube amp. good news, at least you know now for sure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?