I play a lot of music with riffs that involve 4 note per string tremolo (alt) picking. My big issue is changing string without clipping other strings or not playing the last note of each group of 4. I've watched my playing in slow motion and can see that I'm not playing right. I've practiced a lot of different rudiments including constant inside picking, constant outside picking, scale runs and whatever, but nothing changes how I play up to speed. I can play these riffs really slowly at which I can think about ever upstroke and downstroke, but it's not relaxed enough to play at any normal speed. For whatever reason all the metal musicians just happen to know how to do this and no one of youtube really makes specific tutorials on this kind of thing.

Examples (240 bpm)

E-----------------------------------------------------------------
B-----------------------------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------7777---------------
D---------------77778888-------7777-------7777--------
A--------5555--------------6666-----------------------------
D-0000-------------------------------------------------8888-

E-----------------------------------------------------------------
B-----------------------------------------------------------------
G--------10101010-------9999-----------------------------
D------------------------------------10101010---------------
A-8888--------------8888------------------------------------
D--------------------------------------------------88888------

C-------------------------------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------------------------------
D#-----------------------------------------------------------------
A#-------5555-------6666-------5555-------4444---------
F-------------------------------------------------------------------
C--3333-------3333-------3333-------3333----------------

Most of the time, as seen in slow motion, I pick short of the last upstroke when changing strings, like this.

E----------------------
B----------------------
G----------------------
D---------------7777
A--------555---------
D-000----------------
Well I mean, I don't mean to be a dick but what I'm about to say might come off that way:

You know what you're doing wrong.  There's no special trick.  You need to slow down, concentrate on what you're actually doing, and fix it at a tempo where you have complete control over everything your body is doing.  That may very well be a tempo that can only be described as obnoxiously slow, but if that's the case then so be it.

That said... if you really can't figure out how to fix it, we need to see what you're doing.  Sounds like you took video of yourself playing, both regular speed and in slow motion, so we need to see that.  Throw it up on youtube and put a link here.  If you're not totally comfy with that, you can always make it unlisted and if you link here we'll still be able to see if.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I assume that you're alternate picking each string starting with a downstroke hence moving to the next string after an upstroke? How much are you slanting the pick when you play? If you're downward pickslanting it should make it easier to cross the strings at speed.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You need to slow down, concentrate on what you're actually doing, and fix it at a tempo where you have complete control over everything your body is doing.  That may very well be a tempo that can only be described as obnoxiously slow, but if that's the case then so be it.

That said... if you really can't figure out how to fix it, we need to see what you're doing.  Sounds like you took video of yourself playing, both regular speed and in slow motion, so we need to see that.  Throw it up on youtube and put a link here.  If you're not totally comfy with that, you can always make it unlisted and if you link here we'll still be able to see if.

What I've started doing over the last few days is attempting to consciously string hop. I can do it reasonably well at around 140 bpm or so. I deleted those videos, but there's not much to see. I'm going to see where my new practicing takes me.

Quote by jimmynipple
I assume that you're alternate picking each string starting with a downstroke hence moving to the next string after an upstroke? How much are you slanting the pick when you play? If you're downward pickslanting it should make it easier to cross the strings at speed.

See I've watched Troy Grady's videos where he recommends similar things but mere pick slanting is troublesome since it makes it hard to mute lower strings with my picking hand.