Ok so everyone knows my story so I'm just gonna say this, I need a break... I've always had the feeling where I felt completely depleted when I played video games like crazy, or when I done skateboarding, but I've never quite had this feeling. I want to practice and make progress, but I'm bored when doing so. Now I live in a area where there is just not much to do so generally I was in love with guitar when I first started playing. I'm practicing usually up to an hour and a half a day and I'm making great progress, but I'm just in a dry spot, but I want to continue on because I get bored... I mean what else can I do? Play Mario games all day? I've never had this feeling before, it feels like I wanna continue on, but I just can't. When I was skateboarding, one day I got exhausted with it and I was jusr done. But its not that way with the guitar... I just can't put my finger on this feeling... For one I mentioned I've gone back and am re-learning and learning my basics which I mostly skipped and well that hit at a bad time honestly. Two, I can't hardly play! My fingers are so blistered I just can't play and for some odd reason, they just will not callous over. Three, I'm just tired of the same music... I feel like my musical tastes are maturing, and by that I mean I'm just bored with Rock, Blues Rock, Metalcore, Thrash Metal, Hard rock, Blues Metal and for sure, Nu-Metal. I've been listening to some Jazz instrumental and I'm really enjoying it... It almost brings me into a calm and it really inspires me, by the way can anyone tell me of any great instrumental Jazz bands?

In general I just need a break, but I'm scared of losing progress... What do I do? Do I just need a 5 day break or something like that? I just need my mind to refresh a bit. In my time of playing the guitar, I've never took more than 3 days off and that was over a year ago because I got sick... Anyone else know this feeling?

P.S. I'm being serious about wanting some good instrumental Jazz bands! Please let me know!
Taking a break is normal. Everyone gets burned out. Take days, weeks or even months off. If the passion is there you'll want to pick it up again sooner or later.
I was kinda burning myself with practice, now if I have an hour to practice I'll stop after about 45mins. Practice was beginning to seem too much like work, and that's not something most of us look forward to. So I wanted it to become something I look forward to, backing my practice time down a little left me wanting more and put me in a position were I couldn't wait to practice again, so that was goal #1 for me. If your honest with yourself about just taking a break then I don't see a problem, but for me when I was at that point I think I was really saying "I don't want to do it anymore", but instead of completely shutting down I got this book called Guitar Aerobics with these little basic 15min exercises, and damn if it didn't get me more interested that ever. Also, I think I was obsessing over it, "I got to learn how to play this now" actually no you don't, what also worked for me was not having my practice scheduled, like practice for this long at this time, life didn't care about my schedule, if I have 20 mins at 4pm then that's what I have to work with, probably get more time later in the day to pick it up again. Moderation was the key for me. Maybe, instead of just stopping / taking a break just relax and enjoy it, don't make it so serious and interfering with your life...make it part of it.
Flying in a blue dream
Practice needs to be for improving (perfecting) various aspects, from technique to rhythm (time awareness) to guitar familiarity (navigation around the neck) to bringing out different sounds, to building vocabulary (chords and licks), to seeing theoretical aspects on guitar.

If technique is practiced and nothing else, than the music will rapidly get very boring (for you and everyone else), and have little musicality in it.

If "progress" means technique (playing faster, cleaner ...) then taking a break will make no difference over a short period of time.  I was forced to take a break for around 3 years due to injury,but once recuperated (more or less) my technique came back in a couple of weeks short practicing.

As for Jazz, there are zillions, but check out some of these:

John Schofield , gtr, (Blue Matter, or Electric Outlet)
Scott Henderson, gtr,  with Tribal Tech  (e.g. Necessary blonde track)
Michael Brecker, sax,  (Some Skunk Funk)
Charlie Parker, sax, (1940s bebop ... amazing player)
Miles Davis, trumpet,  (Kind of Blue)
Al di Meola gtr
John McClaughlin. gtr
Quote by vayne92
Taking a break is normal. Everyone gets burned out. Take days, weeks or even months off. If the passion is there you'll want to pick it up again sooner or later.

days and maybe a week or so is reasonable. but months? nah, then you'll start to decline in skill and progress. 
You must not depend on some feeling to practice the guitar.
Play anyway every day, independent of how you may feel.
If playing it makes you feel good, just accept that as a gift.
Waiting to feel it before practicing; that is just a dead end.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Hi, take a break and let the calluses heal (btw I have to do this for a bit because I got a new one after many years of playing(on a part of the ring finger I never thought of using before -developed by a total new radical approach to playing I came up with). Anyway, while you are letting your tips rest and generate new stronger tougher skin(this is the process by which your mind/body integrates the information they received by way of the nerves of the skin being overloaded with sensations because you were doing this and the response was to create  a barrier to protect themselves from the assault. This is good and proper and natural of the body to do, and you may find that these calluses may only be an intermediate stage on the progression to even more and refined calluses that will develop over time. The reason you are "bored" with your playing is probably because your mind is over developed relative to your bodies abilities and also willingness to express what you feel.

Now if you are developing an ear for jazz that means you have an opportunity to explore music in a way most people pass up because there physical abilities match their current musical tastes(in a way that's to bad).

So go listen to the real thing which for you is going to be Miles Davis but I feel that the best period for you would be during the second classic  which of course is Herbie, Ron, Wayne and Tony, but also the records(dating myself) with George Coleman on tenor like Seven steps to Heaven and 4 and more and especially my funny valentine. Some of the Second quintet recordings are Nefertiti, ESP, Miles smiles and plenty of live recordings. Nobody and I mean nobody touches this in terms of musical sophistication, all they can do is copy it. 

Another thing, technical practice is only boring if the player approaches it in a way that is boring and don't worry about bands for your playing to mean something, if you build it( that is to say your musical approach) you will not have to worry about finding people to play with, they will find you.

phenomenology
But seriously take a break, maybe buy a cheap Casio keyboard and learn some chords on that, whatever you do don't get a girl friend that's the single biggest waste of time.
33db Lol, Yeah I actually do! But, honestly, I never thought about a getting a keyboard... You already sparked my interest... I just might do that honestly. I was tempted to buy a bass guitar one time, but never followed through due to me thinking it be a waste of time and money since I already know how to play the guitar. But honestly I might do that if I can get a summer job sometime soon!

Also not gonna lie I was already really liking this one girl Hahaha.
phenomenology Thanks man! I'm taking a week off, I'm gonna start back up next Tuesday! I actually heard that are bodies and mind run on a cycle of 7 so I figure I'm gonna give myt body and mind a rest. I'm not playing my guitar, listening to the same music, or watching any videos about the guitar for a week. I'm trying to give my mind a rest from it all.
Last edited by intheJungle at Jun 6, 2017,
Taking a break is normal. I usually don't go more than 2 days without picking up a guitar. When I get bored I learn a new song, maybe something that is a little more challenging but not too difficult for my skill level(baby steps). It may also help if you find someone else that plays that you can practice and jam with.
Guitar breaks are awesome. Don't be afraid to take them.  I make sure to take at least 2 consecutive days off each week.  You don't get worse.  You actually improve after the break.  All of the sudden something you were struggling  with before the break becomes easier after you return.   I've noticed this improvement in my playing even with week long breaks. 
I might put the guitar down one day a week, usually the day after a gig. Some rest is good, if only to avoid physical injury. It's also good not to get burned out and stressed by thinking that you have to get in a bunch of hours every single day.

If you have professional aspirations you should probably limit yourself to very short breaks, but if you're a hobby player, take all the time you want. Nobody is counting on you to sound awesome, so why stress it? 
Considering youre not gonna progress by having a lack of interest then youre just delaying an inevitable break.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
June 6 "I need a break..." and "I'm taking a week off, I'm gonna start back up next Tuesday!"
June 13 The "next Tuesday!" 
June 20 Tomorrow, will have been two weeks...

I wrote:

You must not depend on some feeling to practice the guitar.
Play anyway every day, independent of how you may feel.
If playing it makes you feel good, just accept that as a gift.
Waiting to feel it before practicing; that is just a dead end.

You replied:

"I totally understand what you're saying, but sometimes I feel people need a rest" 

It's a good thing that you "already know how to play the guitar".  
Quote by reverb66
PlusPaul I started back last Tuesday and have been having a great time with my guitar once again. I stated in a few comments above that I'd be taking a 7 day break and well, it worked. Why did this bother you so much?
Last edited by intheJungle at Jun 19, 2017,
intheJungle Another good idea, is pick up a new hobby or something you kinda started before and get lost in just that for a week or two.  Maybe fool around with piano or anything different.  Even play a Uekele once in awhile to break it up since its in different tuning so makes you get creative.  Outside of that, sports and fitness is great to break it up, plus can listen to random music while doing it that may trigger you to want to go home and try it on guitar.  
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
intheJungle 
Just checking on you, glad you're back at it.
Quote by reverb66
nemjeff13 I'm actually saving for a new instrument right now (probably a keyboard). I decided to start saving saving for one when I was taking my break... Just to switch things up y'know? I also actually decided to start working out more that week when l I took that break. I play a lil bit of video games, mainly the older video games so I have no trouble there. I was actually talking to my Mom the other day about this very thing and she suggested buying a cheap crossword puzzle book for when I get really bored.