hi, does any1 knows if the RGA from the Iron Label, the one called RGAIX6FM, have a coil tap or split coil?

the website say "coil tap switch" and describe it as "a lower output-to provide a more vintage-like tone" which kinnda sound like coil tap, but in the picture it shows split coil cuz only one of the pickups in the humbucker is painted red....

also, when I use the switch it kindda sounds more strat-like and has a lot more "huming" or buzzing or w/e u call it...

so, which is it?
It's a split coil, tapping is completely different but unfortunatley the nomenclature is commonly misused, much in the same way as tremolo is used in place of vibrato when describing a whammy bar thanks to Leo Fender!

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Gear-Tech/en-us/Tuned-Coil-Tap-vs-Tap-vs-Split.aspx
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 8, 2017,
If you see something described as a coil tap when the guitar has humbuckers, odds are it's actually a split. You can have taps with humbuckers, but they tend not to do them (I think it costs more). If a guitar has genuine single coils, though, and it says it has a tap, then it's a tap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah the main point of a tap is to give a lower output more vintage sound to modern higher output single coils.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Well, I mean it should (presumably, I haven't tried them) work the same way for humbuckers, except nobody does them
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Well, I mean it should (presumably, I haven't tried them) work the same way for humbuckers, except nobody does them

I suppose it would if you want the option of hi-lo output buckers which does sound enticing, so wouldn't the ultimate be a humbucker that is both tapped and split?
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

yeah. and maybe parallel too

then you just get confused with all the knobs
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Evilnine
It's a split coil, tapping is completely different but unfortunatley the nomenclature is commonly misused, much in the same way as tremolo is used in place of vibrato when describing a whammy bar thanks to Leo Fender!

Okay, so coil "split" means the pickup has a whammy, but coil "tap" means the tremolo does vibrato?
Quote by dspellman
Okay, so coil "split" means the pickup has a whammy, but coil "tap" means the tremolo does vibrato?

Exactly!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Dave_Mc
If you see something described as a coil tap when the guitar has humbuckers, odds are it's actually a split. You can have taps with humbuckers, but they tend not to do them (I think it costs more). If a guitar has genuine single coils, though, and it says it has a tap, then it's a tap.

Quote by Dave_Mc

Tap tap tap on the ceiling if you waaaaant meeeeee....

You'd think all of this would have been sorted out long ago.
Wait, it was.
I have an '82 Ibanez AR300 that has two Tri-Sound switches, which allow you to choose standard humbucking (serial)/parallel/coil split modes for each pickup.

Well, hell, come to think of it, My old Gibson L6-S (early '70's) has a six-way pickup selector that uses serial, parallel and out-of-phase choices (in conjunction with an inductor or a redactor an interdigitor or something) to produce a fairly wide range of sounds AND it has a mids rolloff pot in addition to the treble rolloff we all randomly call a "tone" pot. Tell me again why we don't have those options now?
the getting confused thing

also it costs more money
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Sounds like something Frank Zappa would do TBH!

- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge