we don't always have the time to stretch, practice scales, etc right before a performance. When I'm at home practicing I always warm up by stretching and practicing scales etc, and my hands feel great like i could play anything(but in reality not lol). Does anyone have a routine they do before playing?
Last edited by brenton393 at Jun 6, 2017,
I don't play my guitar right before a gig. I always make sure I get there with plenty of time to set up and make sure everything is working then I like to just relax and get ready to play. My mental attitude is more susceptible to making me play badly than anything I could improve on by sitting and playing scales or anything like that. If I don't know the material we are playing that night well enough the last minute playing will only make it worse for me. It's like cramming for a test at the last minute. It rarely works (for me) but if I am relaxed and looking forward to playing, I play much better.  That's just my way of getting ready for a gig.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jun 6, 2017,
Quote by Rickholly74
My mental attitude is more susceptible to making me play badly than anything I could improve on by sitting and playing scales or anything like that. 

I couldn't have said it better myself! I almost exclusively get nervous when I don't feel confident with the material. My guitarist and I have a ritual of doing pushups together before we go on, which gets my blood flowing and makes me feel pumped and energized. I practice daily meditation to help keep my mind focused; I find that if I'm thinking too much about what the audience is thinking, whether it's good or bad, my attention is divided and therefore weakened, and my performance suffers.

On the day of a show, I tend not to practice a whole lot, because I am so excited about the show that I can't stay totally focused :^)
Here's some things I usually do, they're basically all geared to get me as relaxed as possible before the gig:

- Practice the material if I'm uncomfortable with it. This is leaving this step extremely late, but on the rare occassion (like if I'm required to learn a large amount of material in a short timeframe, or doing live session work where the gig is the first and only time the band will play together)

- Pack the car an hour before leaving. This avoids last minute rush.

- Arrive at the venue either at loadin time, at the start of the gig or otherwise 1 hour before I start. This will give me enough time to loadin and chill out for a while.

- Make sure I eat before the gig (depending on time). My timing goes out the window if I'm hungry.

- When the band before us annouces that it's their last song, tell rest of bandmates to start getting ready.

- I always set up in the same way, and set down in the exact opposite, meaning:

Setup: Amp on stage, setup amp. Pedalboard on stage set up pedalboard, guitar on stage, tune, check volume levels with amp and pedals, mute guitar.

Setdown: Guitar off stage. Pedalboard off stage. Amp off stage.

- Practice chromatic scales on muted guitar while waiting for soundcheck/others are soundchecking.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
There's always time the day of a gig to practice if you get organized, but at that late stage you shouldn't be trying figure things out, just mechanical playing. I try to get in at least an hour's worth of basic noodling to get warmed up.  I just strap up the guitar and play unplugged while talking to others etc. backstage or at the hotel. 

If I won't have time after travel, I make a point to get a few hours in the morning before I leave.  It really makes a big difference depending on the style you have to play. 
I chug a beer.

No but seriously. I don't warmup or anything but I usually empty my pockets and make sure my set list has all the notes and hints I need, plus ensure that the band leader didn't print a new an hour earlier. And then I chug a beer.
I try to get warmed up before the show, if time allows. The surest opportunity is in the morning before the gig. It's more about getting that mental and physical circuitry activated than getting the muscles ready.

Your first minutes of playing are always a little clumsy, just like your first steps getting out of bed in the morning. Unless you're playing something intense right from the get-go, being simply warmed up won't make a big difference. What does make a difference is getting your head into the music and feeling confidently in control.
Quote by cdgraves
What does make a difference is getting your head into the music and feeling confidently in control.

Exactly; I always feel like that ... that's why I don't warm-up!
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.