Hey everyone,

So I was at the local GC the other day and noticed they had a 68 PRRI and I fell in love with it.  The only issue was that it didn't have a lot of clean headroom, which generally is ok with me.  New they are 899, but GC gives you 10% off so it brings it down to 810.  The used one was 750.  I thought that was strange, considering new ones have a 5 year warranty, but anywho.  Then I moved to the 65 DRRI and it sounded very similar to me tone wise and I loved it too.  This one was about 1050 with 10% off so a bit more but not that much.  I like buying used so I don't take too big of a hit  as I tend to go in and out of amps.  So I asked why the used (with no warranty other than the 45 day return policy which is great) one was almost as much as the new one to which the guy said "they hold they're value".  Wow, they must really hold a bunch of that value then.  Is this true?  I found a couple 65 DRRI's on CL but again everyone is asking 800-850 for these where new is 100 bucks more, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me.  Is this really what the used price for these amps are?  If so then I'm definitely going new, but if they are had more reasonably then I'll hold off.  Just seems like newer used amps should not be 85-90% of new ones with warranties is all?  If I'm missing something please school me, I could understand if I'm buying a true vintage amp but a RI?
There are a few for $750 here. https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Deluxe%20Reverb&condition=used&year_min=2010&year_max=2020 If you browse CL for a while longer you might find one at a lower price.

GC often overprices their used items. CL or the like are a lot better for finding the actual used prices. Stack that upon GC giving you 10% off a new item and you can see why your perception of the used prices are so close to new. Since when did they do 10% off anyway?
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 6, 2017,
I like the DRRI too.  I think it is overpriced in the market but no doubt it is a nice amp for classic Fender tone.  I also like the Blues Jr, HRD, and Super Champ XD.  Clean channel on these is really pretty close to a DRRI at less than 1/2 price.  Go play through a few and see if you agree.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Will Lane Not sure if it is something they do, but they told me on either one of the amps if I buy it they'll give me 10% off of it.  Maybe that was only if I trade in my amp that they priced for me?  I can see them giving me that 10% off considering how bad they are hitting me if I trade my current amp in lol.
Quote by Cajundaddy
I like the DRRI too.  I think it is overpriced in the market but no doubt it is a nice amp for classic Fender tone.  I also like the Blues Jr, HRD, and Super Champ XD.  Clean channel on these is really pretty close to a DRRI at less than 1/2 price.  Go play through a few and see if you agree.

Oh man I wish I did agree, I do but sadly I don't, not at all.  I've owned a HRD and a BJ and played through a champ, while they are ok to me tone wise, they are harsh and bright compared to the PRRI or DRRI.  That honestly is why I don't own a fender amp at this point, b/c of the ones I have owned in the past.  I just tried the PRRI on a whim in the store cause I had time to kill and it looked cool and was like "DAMN" after the first lick.
Quote by cfiiman
Will Lane Not sure if it is something they do, but they told me on either one of the amps if I buy it they'll give me 10% off of it.  Maybe that was only if I trade in my amp that they priced for me?  I can see them giving me that 10% off considering how bad they are hitting me if I trade my current amp in lol.

I have never heard of them doing anything like that except for specials. Maybe they are being nice considering its a floor model that probably has some use in it?
Quote by cfiiman
Oh man I wish I did agree, I do but sadly I don't, not at all.  I've owned a HRD and a BJ and played through a champ, while they are ok to me tone wise, they are harsh and bright compared to the PRRI or DRRI.  That honestly is why I don't own a fender amp at this point, b/c of the ones I have owned in the past.  I just tried the PRRI on a whim in the store cause I had time to kill and it looked cool and was like "DAMN" after the first lick.

Interesting.  Of the four I found the DRRI to be slightly more harsh and bright than the others.  Maybe just the room...

I gigged with a HRD for 5 years and still own a SCXD.  They compare tone wise pretty well with my original Blackface 64 Super Reverb.  All of them can get my mojo goin'   

YMMV
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 7, 2017,
if you are considering spending nearly $1000, consider a used '63 Vibroverb RI. strongly.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
thanks for the replies everyone.  Question, so I have found a DRRI on CL in excellent shape.  It is 10 years old and on the original tubes.  Asking price was 800.  What would be a fair offer?  I feel like it would require a retube in short order after starting to play it regularly.  I don't know a lot about higher priced used amps so this is why I'm asking.
$800 for used 10 year old amp that will need tubes.  What's the price of a new one that comes with new tubes and a warranty?  If it's not much I'd buy new if that's the case and I realize there's an argument about wanted to retube a new amp that has cheap stock tubes anyway (but not sure if that's the case with this amp).
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Jun 7, 2017,
Quote by metalmingee
$800 for used 10 year old amp that will need tubes.  What's the price of a new one that comes with new tubes and a warranty?  If it's not much I'd buy new if that's the case and I realize there's an argument about wanted to retube a new amp that has cheap stock tubes anyway (but not sure if that's the case with this amp).

Hi, yes, that is my feeling exactly, I'm not sure why I see them all priced at the 800 mark being 2-10 years old, are these actually selling for that price?  I don't know the market at all but it seems silly to me to pay that much for a used one with no warranty and old tubes, etc.  So if that is the case I will 100% buy new, I just keep thinking that this can't be right and that these change hands for much less but not sure.
cfiiman Yeah, I don't know the market for these amps either.  According to Reverb $800 is a bit high. . .  https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/3383
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
cfiiman Yeah, I don't know the market for these amps either.  According to Reverb $800 is a bit high. . .  https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/3383

Very cool link thanks!!!  Looks like the average price if my calculation is right would be 678, although that last one is kind of a weird one asking 1900 selling for 950, thinking it might have something done to it so average might be more like 650 ish I would think.
Last edited by cfiiman at Jun 7, 2017,
Quote by cfiiman
Very cool link thanks!!!  Looks like the average price if my calculation is right would be 678, although that last one is kind of a weird one asking 1900 selling for 950, thinking it might have something done to it so average might be more like 650 ish I would think.
The worst they can do is say no The '65RIs and the '68 Customs are really nice amps, good luck!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
play it for a little bit first. test every knob. etc.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
hey guys, so ok I found a vintage 1979 Deluxe Reverb SF for sale at a vintage music shop about an hour and a half away.  They are asking 1000 bucks, would you go for this before a new DRRI for the same money?

Last edited by cfiiman at Jun 7, 2017,
Quote by cfiiman
Hey everyone,

So I was at the local GC the other day and noticed they had a 68 PRRI and I fell in love with it.  The only issue was that it didn't have a lot of clean headroom, which generally is ok with me.  New they are 899, but GC gives you 10% off so it brings it down to 810.  The used one was 750.  I thought that was strange, considering new ones have a 5 year warranty, but anywho.  Then I moved to the 65 DRRI and it sounded very similar to me tone wise and I loved it too.  This one was about 1050 with 10% off so a bit more but not that much.  I like buying used so I don't take too big of a hit  as I tend to go in and out of amps.  So I asked why the used (with no warranty other than the 45 day return policy which is great) one was almost as much as the new one to which the guy said "they hold they're value".  Wow, they must really hold a bunch of that value then.  Is this true?  I found a couple 65 DRRI's on CL but again everyone is asking 800-850 for these where new is 100 bucks more, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me.  Is this really what the used price for these amps are?  If so then I'm definitely going new, but if they are had more reasonably then I'll hold off.  Just seems like newer used amps should not be 85-90% of new ones with warranties is all?  If I'm missing something please school me, I could understand if I'm buying a true vintage amp but a RI?

Try to buy direct using Graigslist or Ebay or something similar - the 65 DRRI's are very popular amps, so you may find some - there are also tons of used Fender amps of similar quality out there.  I would go that route rather than buy used at a store.
Quote by cfiiman
hey guys, so ok I found a vintage 1979 Deluxe Reverb SF for sale at a vintage music shop about an hour and a half away.  They are asking 1000 bucks, would you go for this before a new DRRI for the same money?

Yes, but play it first. 
The used prices mentioned are (imo) not out of the ordinary for a clean example bought at a store. Typically you can get a bit shaved off going private sale. With vintage vs new, idk tough call... lots of killer new amps out there. The vintage amps are cool but old and most have been gone through a few times over so who knows what's what with them. I would need gut shots before buying. Also, with vintage factor in spending some money on a go through (diy or tech).  Me, if I was going vintage Fender I would prol' go vintage Fender amp head rather than combo..... Bassman, Bandmaster, Bandmaster reverb etc,... of course I wouldn't turn down a deal on a combo!
Quote by Guitaraxe
The used prices mentioned are (imo) not out of the ordinary for a clean example bought at a store. Typically you can get a bit shaved off going private sale. With vintage vs new, idk tough call... lots of killer new amps out there. The vintage amps are cool but old and most have been gone through a few times over so who knows what's what with them. I would need gut shots before buying.
Absolutely to this (the bit I didn't quote is pretty much beyond my experience so I can't say yes or no to it).

I know for Twins the '70s stuff is generally less well regarded than the '60s (including CBS '60s) stuff, and can usually be had for real cheap as a consequence, but I don't know the extent to which that's corksniffer stuff, nor the extent to which that applies to Deluxes. Myself I would (and did, with my Twin) go for modern '65s or '68s because you know what you're getting.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I agree about the vintage stuff being "gone through".  Every one I find has had numerous "upgrades" or "tweaks" to it, which in theory may make it better, but may make it worse.  I'd rather start with an all original which the one above is advertised to be.  I don't know, I feel like I'm screwing myself up here b/c I fell in love with the 68 PRRI at the store, then was talked into playing the DRRI and now looking at Vintage.  I'm thinking the cheapest/safest bet is to go with a 68 PRRI, but for 750 used no warranty vs. 810 with 5 year warranty it is a no brainer.  The only thing I worry about is getting a new one and it not sounding as good as the used one in the store to me.  I hate that, it happens with furniture.  You sit in an awesome chair at the store and it is soooooo comfy, then you get the "new" one and it doesn't feel the same at all.  I know things have to be broke in, like the speaker, etc. but sometimes I wonder if it is worth paying almost new price and no warranty for a used one "if' it sounds the way you want, dunno   I will say the good thing about buying from a place like GC is the return policy, if you decide you don't like it as much you can just take it back without having to sell it yourself, that IS worth a lot to me honestly.
Last edited by cfiiman at Jun 8, 2017,