Hi all

I have been looking for a Jackson recently.. a Soloist or Dinky... trying to hunt one of those 90's Professional series. However, I spotted a 2008 DXMG with many upgrades.. it is MIJ but I know that X series is one of the low end Jacksons even if they are MIJ... somehow like the Jackson Performer I used to have back in 90's which wasn't bad but it was a huge step down from Professional series at this time... especially when it comes to hardware

My question is: With the following upgrades, does this DXMG be somehow comparable to a Professional series Dinky? Does it worth?

1. Pickups upgraded to Seymour Duncans
2. Original Floyd Rose brass block, claw, and springs have been installed
3. Pots upgraded to push/pull for coil split
4. Treble bleed capacitors 
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
mockbel I'd say it depends on the neck and fret work on that particular guitar.  The hardware upgrades are really nice spec wise.  How much are they asking for it?  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
All of the DXMG I have ever played were on the professional level. In the U.S. I would expect that guitar to sell for around $300 stock (as always, depending on condition). Considering it has mods can sway the price ether way. For me, I would not want any of those modifications so for me the value would go down. If you like the pickups and mods than you might be willing to pay more.
The guy is shooting for the moon asking for $500... The guitar is mint as the owner bought it in 2014 (the guitar is 2008 but it was sitting there at guitar shop).. sure i will fairly inspect it but I just want to confirm that I am not wasting my time..

I will shoot him a $350 which is the maximum I would pay for it.. it's his call then
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Quote by guitarkid8
All of the DXMG I have ever played were on the professional level.

I hope this statement is correct... I used to have a Jackson performer back in 90's and I hope this DXMG is not of same quality... Performer series wasn't that good !
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Sounds like a good deal to me I wouldn't pass it up.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Quote by mockbel
I hope this statement is correct... I used to have a Jackson performer back in 90's and I hope this DXMG is not of same quality... Performer series wasn't that good !

the old performers are much better. the DXMG is a step down in experience, even if it is MIJ.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the old performers are much better. the DXMG is a step down in experience, even if it is MIJ.

DXMG is even below performer ??!!!!
So it is a pass no doubt.. my performer was early 90s and it had very bad hardware... neck was amazing but overall it is not the guitar I regret selling
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Hmmmm I have a DXMG and it is quite a bit better than any Performer I have played are you thinking of the 90's MIJ Professional series?

mockbel I think Trashed may be thinking of the Professional series being way better I have a stock DXMG and it is way better than any Performer I ever played, that said my DXMG has grwat fretworks and overall build quality it plays as well as any of my other MIJ Jacksons DKMG, DKMGT, RR3, DK2M even pretty close to my 93 King V Professional and 89 Charvel Fusion Custom, the factory pups blow of course and it could use an OFR but the one your looking at has already solved those issues, if you can play it first to judge for yourself and you like it I'd go maybe $350 -$375 tops if it is near mint it would be worth that with the upgrades, sounds like the seller is trying to get all the money back that he invested into the upgrade and unfortunately it does not work that way on the used market.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine my mistake i was thinking 90's professional series.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Evilnine my mistake i was thinking 90's professional series.

No worries Jackson was confusing back then they had the Pro series neck throughs that rivaled the USA guitar and Professional that were bolt on still great but not all of the premuim features and Performer which was the budget TBH I could never wrap my head around Charvette it was budget Charvel but always sounded like it was ment for girls or kids.

mockbel If you can get that DXMG for $400 or less (if it is in great shape) it would definately be a worthwhile investment they normally go for $200-$300 but if it was near mint and played well personally I could go as high as $400 with the Floyd and Duncan's!

Offer $300 and then dicker until you can get it for $350-$375
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
No worries Jackson was confusing back then they had the Pro series neck throughs that rivaled the USA guitar and Professional that were bolt on still great but not all of the premuim features and Performer which was the budget TBH I could never wrap my head around Charvette it was budget Charvel but always sounded like it was ment for girls or kids.

mockbel If you can get that DXMG for $400 or less (if it is in great shape) it would definately be a worthwhile investment they normally go for $200-$300 but if it was near mint and played well personally I could go as high as $400 with the Floyd and Duncan's!

Offer $300 and then dicker until you can get it for $350-$375

Thanks boss... that would be my tactic... now i knew that the guitat was refinished too.. dont know whether it should be a go away thing or just another bargain point that i can use..
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Few pics...

'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Last edited by mockbel at Jun 9, 2017,
Not sure exactly what you're looking for but have you seen this?

https://www.amazon.com/Jackson-JS32-Dinky-DKA-M-White/dp/B00I5R29OK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497046476&sr=8-3&keywords=jackson+dinky

You aren't going to notice that much of a difference between this guitar and the DXMG. imo the maple fret board is an improvement over rosewood any day.

Also,

All those upgrades, with the exception to the floyd mods, are subject to preference. I personally do not care what pickups and electronics are in the guitar that I'm buying because I know I'm going to be ripping them out as soon as I get home.
kohit7
I don't believe I will be satisfied with JS series at least from feeling perspective.. I am hesitated on this Japanese X series so I am not considering Indian one
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Quote by mockbel
kohit7
I don't believe I will be satisfied with JS series at least from feeling perspective.. I am hesitated on this Japanese X series so I am not considering Indian one

MIJ to JS is a big drop.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Guitar looks to be in good condition.

The JS that I have played in store were not even close to MIJ quality.
Quote by kohit7
Not sure exactly what you're looking for but have you seen this?

https://www.amazon.com/Jackson-JS32-Dinky-DKA-M-White/dp/B00I5R29OK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497046476&sr=8-3&keywords=jackson+dinky

You aren't going to notice that much of a difference between this guitar and the DXMG. imo the maple fret board is an improvement over rosewood any day.

Also,

All those upgrades, with the exception to the floyd mods, are subject to preference. I personally do not care what pickups and electronics are in the guitar that I'm buying because I know I'm going to be ripping them out as soon as I get home.

The MIJ's absolutely kill the JS guitars. Sorry.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
The X series a great value for the money, honestly. I've got a Rhoads RRXT that was $550 US new, and after throwing a Custom 5 in, putting a Tusq nut on, and changing the tuners (a total of about $160 of parts), it keeps pace with guitars I've got that cost a grand, give or take. Just great guitars if you're willing to put a bit of love into them. Most guitars in that price range, what you're paying for is a body and neck that (hopefully) are in good shape. You're always taking a risk at the sub $800 price as far as fret jobs go, but absolute worst case, you'll get them leveled. 

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I love my X series, and wouldn't get rid of it at this point. I've got Ibanez Prestige, American Strats, and a PRS SE, and the RRXT is one I grab the most.

As far as a custom paint job, stuff like that doesn't really factor into resale values unless it's something highly popular or desirable. Generally, the more personalized modifications are done to a guitar, the smaller its resale value is because it's so specifically tailored to the person customizing it. This excludes restoring, obviously. But that's not what you're talking about here.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Another player entered the game... Jackson Soloist SL4
it is a rare model that was made in Japan between 2000 and 2002 I guess.. neck-thru with Seymour Duncan and Licensed FR ... would that be any better than the DX?
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
mockbelmy thought is yes but I've never played one. These were discontinued when the Japan plant closed.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by mockbel
Another player entered the game... Jackson Soloist SL4
it is a rare model that was made in Japan between 2000 and 2002 I guess.. neck-thru with Seymour Duncan and Licensed FR ... would that be any better than the DX?

Never played one but I would assume that it plays awesome I did read online that the nut is pretty high and the e string can slip off the fretboard, not sure if that person knew what they were talking about. Also that's a 22 fret guitar and it doesn't have any binding if the cosmetics matter to you oh and the Licensed FR suck.

It looks like its neck thru construction tho? That's a bonus.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Last edited by UFC on VHS at Jul 2, 2017,
if you like the Jacksons in that time period, I would seriously consider an ESP LTD MH-301 or MH-401. They are early to mid 2000's made in Korea neck thru guitars that look and play similar to the DXMG (they play better in my opinion) and comparable to the soloists but cheaper. In the U.S. the ESP's go for $350 to $450 and are great value for the quality and playability. 

The 301's have EMG-HZ pickups (not as bad as they are made out to be) and the 401's have EMG 81/85. they also have licensed floyds, which are average. 

Overall, the Jackson sounds like you found the options you want, but you may want to try the ESP's above. 
Quote by MAChiefs
if you like the Jacksons in that time period, I would seriously consider an ESP LTD MH-301 or MH-401. They are early to mid 2000's made in Korea neck thru guitars that look and play similar to the DXMG (they play better in my opinion) and comparable to the soloists but cheaper. In the U.S. the ESP's go for $350 to $450 and are great value for the quality and playability. 

The 301's have EMG-HZ pickups (not as bad as they are made out to be) and the 401's have EMG 81/85. they also have licensed floyds, which are average. 

Overall, the Jackson sounds like you found the options you want, but you may want to try the ESP's above. 

I tried the MH400 before and it was very good but overpriced locally here in Egypt (seller asked $600)... I tried also a Chinese neckthru MH327 and I didn't like at all.. felt so cheap

I am GASing for a Jackson I don't know why
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Quote by mockbel
I tried the MH400 before and it was very good but overpriced locally here in Egypt (seller asked $600)... I tried also a Chinese neckthru MH327 and I didn't like at all.. felt so cheap

I am GASing for a Jackson I don't know why

Totally understandable. Don't settle, you will just regret it later. Let us know what you pick.