So i recently built and finished my first guitar build. But, the action height is still much higher than i prefer. I am wondering the best way to change it. The bridge is a gotoh tune o matic and i have an unbleached bone nut. I already have the bridge adjusted to the lowest setting so im thinking to file down the nut slots quite a bit. Will this cause any buzzes or anytging else i should worry about?
Country music sucks
-MintSauce- well unfortunately i didnt know anything about bridges when i bought the tune o matic so i made my guitar with no neck angle (like a strat)
So i had to recess the bridge into the body a tiny bit and the strings are at a playable height now, just not low enough
I bought the nut pre slotted but the thicker strings stick out above the rest of the nut. Is that normal? My other guitars arent like this so i need nut filing tips if i need to file the nut
Country music sucks
Did you make it with a set neck or bolt on?  If you did a bolt on then I think your best option would be to take the neck off and either shim it or reshape the cavity slightly.
Not taking any online orders.
Is the action hieght on the first fret the same as the action hieght on the second fret with a capo in the first? I think this is what it should be if you nut slots are right (actually not quite this since you want to allow a couple of years of nut slot wear).

You can set the action as low as you like but it's real limit is having all the frets level. 
PSimonR had good tips and unfortunately if his tips don't do the trick there isn't a lot you can do.  This is why it is so important to get the neck angle correct before it's glued.  You could try to steam the neck off but this is a very difficult job without causing other damage and depending on exactly what shape you routed the neck cavity steaming may not even work .  The only other options would be to remove the bridge and recess it even more or replace the bridge with something that naturally sits lower.  Replacing the bridge would probably be more difficult and still might leave you with a bad neck angle so I'd suggest further recessing your current bridge if at all possible.
CorduroyEW
I was going to get a hipshot style bridge or whatever once i realized it but the holes for the stop piece were already drilled so i cant put on a different bridge without seeing two 7/8 inch holes. The string height next to the nut is still high so if i recess my bridge more the strings would be angled towards the bridge. So can i file the nut slots down to a better height? Would there be any consequences to this?
Country music sucks
Lowering the string height at the nut will have positive consequences.  It will improve intonation and make the guitar easier to play on the 1st 4 or 5  frets.  It won't have a dramatic impact on anything higher than about fret 5.  PSimonR was correct when he said that the nut should be low enough that the open string is the same height over the 1st fret as it is over the 2nd fret if  you press down the 1st fret.  There are two ways to go about filing the nut.  If you have nut files it's easiest to simply file the slots deeper but if you don't have nut files then remove the whole nut and sand the bottom of the nut.
Ok thanks everyone im gonna try filing the nut down this afternoon and ill let you know if it works
Country music sucks
Worked quite well once i cut them low enough. But i still am going to lower the bridge more so that the strings will be the same height across all the strings bc the strings arent perfectly level across the fretboard
Thanks for the help
Country music sucks
Quote by CENSORED.
Worked quite well once i cut them low enough. But i still am going to lower the bridge more so that the strings will be the same height across all the strings bc the strings arent perfectly level across the fretboard
Thanks for the help

What radius do you have built into the fretboard? You're likely going to have to adjust the individual string heights to match radius, right?
dspellman
It was a pre cut and radiused board from stew mac. But yes, I made sure that radius matched the string heights
Country music sucks