I was wondering have any of you guys done some unusual shit that was actually pretty succesful in promoting your band? Or have you heard about something like that?
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
I got a new amp.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I once took so long to release a new album, Dr Pepper said they'd give everyone a can if I released it.
Spray-paint your name on every billboard, every church, every house
On every teacher's ass 'til kids laugh and point it out
live a tragic life and wait until thirty years after your premature death
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Serious answer:

The stuff that works the best, is the stuff most people are too lazy to do. Having a facebook and a bandcamp isn't going to do much, as people actually have to know who you are first.

When you have a show, print up posters/flyers and post them in places.  On street lights, telephone poles, any place that will let you.  The more the better and the more wide ranging, go up to 20 or 30 miles out of town and post them, too.

Talk to some radio stations about buying some ad time (it's not that expensive unless you live in a top market like New York city, Los Angeles, etc)

All, the bands that "made it" hit the ground and relentlessly self-promoted and they didn't have the advantage of the internet or PC's for home printing flyers, etc.

Promoting a band is a lot of work.
jugglingfreak Yeah it is, it can sometimes burn you out even.
Current Gear:
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
When I was in a two-piece band, my guitarist decided to make us a Tindr profile. I hated the idea immediately. I hated it even more when he told me he set us up on a double date.

So we showed up to the date (I was already kinda drunk) and it turns out I had already hooked up with one of the two chicks a few nights previously. Already drunk and nihilistic, I just went all sorts of "who gives a fuck" and got sloppy drunk. That night, I got laid, and bandmate didn't.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...not sure if this story helps at all.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
snipelfritz noted, make tinder profile
Current Gear:
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
   are you already getting  gigs on a regular basis and wanting to go to the next level, or are you just trying to get your foot in the door as opening acts and get a following? 
I got cry to use a few of my songs in lets play outros, aki dearest also used a remix in a review video, both combined result in over 1 million listens.  A spanish female lets player who uses my song snowday in video outros is gaining a lot of fans.  Basically create a pack of songs that people can use in youtube videos for free, it pays off in the long run.

Last edited by stratkat at Jun 9, 2017,
mattedbird Probably the second one mostly tbh.
Current Gear:
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)