I have a vintage Peavey 412F cabinet.  One of the things I’m thinking of doing with it, (since I barely use it in it’s current state) is creating a dual guitar/bass cab.  I’m thinking of modifying the 412 enclosure by loading it with 2 new guitar speakers (I’m thinking Celestions), and 2 new bass speakers, essentially creating 2 seperate 212 cabs in a single enclosure.   I would obviously have to drill out a second input jack hole to run the bass speakers independent of the guitar speakers.  If I were to do this, what do you think, would this be cool or a stupid idea?  Also if I went this route, can anyone provide me with a good recommendation for bass cab speakers?  Thanks!
Thread was moved to forum: Gear Building & Customizing
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It's only cool or stupid depending on how usefull it would be to you.
If I was doing it I would separate the inside - i.e. make it into two separate zones - so that the guitar speakers could not be driven by the bass speakers and the other way round. Use 2/4 inch plywood and glue it in. You might want to also re-enforce the back in the bass section.

Celestion also do bass speakers:
https://www.watfordvalves.com/products.asp?ID=4&man=171

Make sure the power and impedence match your amplifiers.
Last edited by PSimonR at Jun 8, 2017,
Quote by crazy_guy16
I have a vintage Peavey 412F cabinet.  One of the things I’m thinking of doing with it, (since I barely use it in it’s current state) is creating a dual guitar/bass cab.  I’m thinking of modifying the 412 enclosure by loading it with 2 new guitar speakers (I’m thinking Celestions), and 2 new bass speakers, essentially creating 2 seperate 212 cabs in a single enclosure.   I would obviously have to drill out a second input jack hole to run the bass speakers independent of the guitar speakers.  If I were to do this, what do you think, would this be cool or a stupid idea?  Also if I went this route, can anyone provide me with a good recommendation for bass cab speakers?  Thanks!

Just buy an ISP Technologies Vector.

This is a pretty sophisticated cabinet that's exactly the size of your basic 4x12, but it takes the output of your favorite 100W (or so) tube head, strips out the lows and feeds the whole 100W with mids and highs to a pair of 12" speakers arranged vertically (better horizontal dispersion). It then feeds the lows that it's stripped from the signal into a 400W power amplifier. That feeds a single 15" subwoofer that lives in its own sealed/ported compartment *inside* the enclosure.

Here are some of the issues you need to deal with if you just throw low end speakers into your 4x12. One, most bass speakers work best inside an enclosure sealed off from those other speakers, so you'd probably want to build an airtight compartment for them. Two, bass speakers generally need about 4X the power to reproduce the same volume one octave down. You'll usually want to separate highs and mids from the lows and feed each separately into its own side. And so on.