Page 1 of 4
It definitely looks disrespectful, but this is an interesting take:
Others defended the Saudi team, suggesting the minute’s silence was not a recognised way to show respect and condolences in the country’s culture or in Islam more broadly.

But anyway, why didn't they stand for it? Really? Has anyone asked them?
Quote by whywefight
It definitely looks disrespectful, but this is an interesting take:

But anyway, why didn't they stand for it? Really? Has anyone asked them?

Even if it isn't their culture who cares? They were in Australia where it apparently is their culture.

EDIT: Which isn't to suggest you need to completely follow another country's culture if you're visiting there, but it's something like this you should.
Last edited by TheChaz at Jun 8, 2017,
Yeah, that "it's not their culture" claim is just apologist B.S.

The level of hatred and disrespect for Westerners is far more widespread in the Middle East than most people realize, or want to accept. It may only be a tiny percentage of extremists who commit the atrocities, but a significant number are okay with it.
Cunts will be cunts.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by stratkat
Is that the team name?

Please tell me that's what Australia calls their national team. 

I'm in no way trying to redirect to you google as a jerk, but I googled it and the description that came up made me laugh.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by ImNeverSalty
lmao what are you expecting i mean rly

international perspectives.
Quote by stratkat
Is that the team name?

Please tell me that's what Australia calls their national team. 

yes lol
Football/soccer players being dicks, woah
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

Quote by Nelshizzle
I'm in no way trying to redirect to you google as a jerk, but I googled it and the description that came up made me laugh.

That's magical.  I only read that part of article, amazing. 
Quote by ultimate-slash
Football/soccer players being dicks, woah

To clarify, I'm not saying all football/soccers players are dicks.

I'm just heavily implying it

didn't some other national team pull a similar shitty stunt after the paris attacks? i wanna say the turks

in other words, we should just ban all international football until joe hart decides to retire from the english national side

Quote by TheChaz

EDIT: Which isn't to suggest you need to completely follow another country's culture if you're visiting there

Saudi Arabia however would disagree with you there entirely.
The important thing is we won 3-2
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
I dont know to me it didnt look that bad. Looked like they just stood in their positions? didnt have sound on but it really didnt show them. I dont watch soccer but is it possible since the team is from saudi arabi they dont understand english?
Quote by N8dagreat3
I dont know to me it didnt look that bad. Looked like they just stood in their positions? didnt have sound on but it really didnt show them. I dont watch soccer but is it possible since the team is from saudi arabi they dont understand english?

It wouldn't be a spontaneous thing. Someone from the Saudi team would have been told, well in advance of them arriving at the stadium, that it was planned. 

As far as I can tell, the Saudis didn't actually break the silence, they just didn't stand in a big stupid line with their arms over each other's shoulders.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
It's not in my culture to export religion to their country and blow up little kids at Ariana Grande concerts so they can fuck off.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Also customs can differ. Even here in the US its widely known to stay silent for the national anthem. If you go to a chicago blackhawks game everyone yells and makes as much noise as possible during the national anthem. Its a really cool experience to hear everyone cheering during the anthem, but some people frown on it.
ah yes the "moderate muslims" I hear so much about
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by gerdner
What else would you expect from the ragheads? 

Don't be a dick m8. Australians can't help it that all they all have to wear shabby clothes...

IDK I can't say that I am shocked.

WWAS What would Ali Say
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by SoftSway
Yeah, that "it's not their culture" claim is just apologist B.S.

The level of hatred and disrespect for Westerners is far more widespread in the Middle East than most people realize, or want to accept. It may only be a tiny percentage of extremists who commit the atrocities, but a significant number are okay with it.

a significant number are just indifferent to it. why should they bother taking a minute silence for 7 people in the UK when millions of their neighbors in Iraq and Syria and Afghanistan have been dying for years, in particular DUE to involvement from the west? 

i aint no terrorist sympothiser, but i am one hell of a middle-east sympathiser. looking at the pure numbers are you saying they have any reason whatsoever to stand there for one minute out of respect for SEVEN people who died when millions of their arabic neighbors have been dying for years now? i consider the deaths due to terrorist attacks in the EU/US a casualty of the war happening in the middle east. why should they feel compelled to pay their respects to just 7 of the casualties?

i dont remember any minute silences for syria in the UK.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Jun 9, 2017,
Quote by laid-to-waste
i dont remember any minute silences for syria in the UK.

Came here to say this. The people most affected by these terrorist organizations aren't you or me, it's the people that live right next to these goofballs that have to deal with them constantly. Last year there was even an attack at Medina of all places. I don't remember anyone giving a fuck about that.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by TheChaz
Even if it isn't their culture who cares? They were in Australia where it apparently is their culture.

EDIT: Which isn't to suggest you need to completely follow another country's culture if you're visiting there, but it's something like this you should.

In Australia, they kick each other in the nuts before the game to make sure they're paying attention because, you know, easily distract...oh, look!
The Sauds really don't know which part of that other country's culture they should follow, but I'm sure someone will tweet them and let them know.
One wonders what would happen if the North Koreans got their guidance wrong and accidentally dropped a nuke on Mecca.

Hand me the popcorn, would ya?
Quote by laid-to-waste
why should they feel compelled to pay their respects to just 7 of the casualties?

Maybe cuz they're in someone else's fucking country and it's the respectful thing to do?
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Remember when most of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudis and when "rogue" government officials gave/still fund terrorist organizations around the globe as partly a response to Sunni nations like Iran but also to peddle influence in other resource rich parts of the world with instable institutions?? No??

Best ally ever.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Did not notice anything particularly disrespectful or outlandish during any of that. Seems like an issue of perception and mania to generate controversy. It literally seems like all of this is being brought up due to some folks' need to see an avatar of a nation apologize. Was the moment of silence truly just that, or was it a reason to ask folks to do a simple thing, then desperately scan the area in witch-hunt fashion? What does a terrorist attack have anything to do with the sport being played? I'm seriously not trying to be contrarian here, but all of this seems like a ridiculous compulsion to seek and destroy. Maybe that was their "silence", who exactly is the grand arbiter in deciding these matters?
Quote by Zaphikh
Did not notice anything particularly disrespectful or outlandish during any of that. Seems like an issue of perception and mania to generate controversy. It literally seems like all of this is being brought up due to some folks' need to see an avatar of a nation apologize. Was the moment of silence truly just that, or was it a reason to ask folks to do a simple thing, then desperately scan the area in witch-hunt fashion? What does a terrorist attack have anything to do with the sport being played? I'm seriously not trying to be contrarian here, but all of this seems like a ridiculous compulsion to seek and destroy. Maybe that was their "silence", who exactly is the grand arbiter in deciding these matters?

A moment of silence is a really easy thing to observe. It takes more effort to not observe it, so by doing so they're making a statement of "we don't give a shit" and when your response to people being murdered is "I don't give a shit" then you're garbage  
Quote by CaptainCanti

December 14, 2017
If we had a moment of silence every time 7 people died we wouldn't ever make a sound again.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Page 1 of 4