5 29%
Worth it- cool people
5 29%
Not worth it- bad hosts
0 0%
Not worth it- get a hostel or AirBnB ya damn hippy
7 41%
Voters: 17.
^ Is it just a way for lazy college kids to get a free place to stay while posting to instagram about their "life changing travels" or is it an actually interesting way to meet people around the world?

I'm doing some travelling this summer and had some friends recommend it as something they think I'd enjoy. They're right,I love meeting new people and I think it's a big part of travelling. I don't just want to go to the big tourist attractions, I want to see the life blood of the city and it's people. 
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Couchsurfing is a good way to get your organs stolen.

At least, it would be on my couch.
It'll be good if you can vet the people correctly properly before using it and make sure it's safe. It's very dangerously for small groups of females though.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
It's essentially AirBnB, but without all the tax evasion and whatnot.
And if you do get fiddled about, at least you didn't have to pay for it. 

I say go for it
Not familiar with the term
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I've done it once in Germany and it was fine.

worth paying for Airbnb's though in my experience, cheaper than hostels and much nicer because you're not surrounded by wankers.

but that's why you should stay at a few hostels too, it can be pretty funny.
I've stayed at over 100 Airbnb's and only met one host who wasn't a legend.

the couchsurfing guy was cool too, but literally being on the couch is kind of shit, and they're also nowhere near as easy or reliable to organise.
slapsymcdougal will you host me?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by matt bickerton
To each their own, but I'd never even consider it. 

Yup.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I wouldnt stay in a random persons house / apartment just to take instagram pics around the world. If I really wanted to travel I'd save up, take a friend or family member, and stay in a hotel. I can respect the practice, though a bit risky.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

There are networks set up for couchsurfers where guests and hosts can rate each other. I forgot the app name but I let people bum my place like 6 years ago and it was a fun experience.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
ithink the term comes from the chance you might wake up with your face pinned down in a cushion while some guy is riding you like you're his boogie board 
I've only used Airbnb a few times but couchsurfing sounds fun too.
Quote by Diamond Dave
I've stayed at over 100 Airbnb's and only met one host who wasn't a legend..
Heheh
I am an Airbnb host and decline to comment out of conflict of interest.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Would rather stay in a hostel. Less of a risk imo.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by k.lainad
I wouldnt stay in a random persons house / apartment just to take instagram pics around the world. If I really wanted to travel I'd save up, take a friend or family member, and stay in a hotel. I can respect the practice, though a bit risky.

huh? this is a pretty warped perspective to be honest (except for the take a friend part).

I can see why people might assume that only creeps would invite strangers into their home but its the complete opposite in reality. Only the nicest, friendliest and trustworthy people you're ever likely to meet are prepared to do it, and they're totally normal unlike all the hippies you get at hostels who have been living out of a backpack for two years.

Couchsurfing isn't particularly nice though, Airbnb's on the other hand are awesome - much nicer and even cheaper than cheap hotels. If you'd prefer to stay at InterContinentals or something that's fair enough, but regardless of your budget you can do a hell of a lot more for longer if you're saving on accommodation.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's a little bit blinkered to believe that 'only the nicest, friendliest and trustworthy' people are prepared to do it. There is inherent risks, no doubt about it.

sure, but like I said before I've stayed at well over 100 places on Airbnb and only have one less than great story.

I feel like its too big a sample size to just have gotten lucky.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I am an Airbnb host and decline to comment out of conflict of interest.

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Am going through Europe alone this year so will look into couchsurfing/airbnb for sure.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I would say most people are not rapists and murderers so you should be fine, but some people are rapists and murderers so why take the chance?
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Nero Galon I just got back from a Euro trip. Did lots of couchsurfing, I had a great time. Most of my hosts were great. One of them was rather boring though. 
Quote by JD Close
Most_Triumphant 

awesome!

how did you find booking/arranging stays? I have a train plan set out so I have a good idea of when I'll be needing places to stay, but say I wanted to do it on the fly, how easy is it?

Also how much do the hosts interact with you? Imagined most would be like, well here's your room see you when I see you since you're probably gonna not be here much...

Quote by metal4eva_22
Nero Galon The more popular a destination meant a harder time finding a host. In all honesty, I didn't have a super hard time. When you send them a message, make sure to try to understand that person, find things that you both have in common. 

Actually, when I surfed in London, my host and I hung out almost every day. We even took a weekend trip together, he was a great guy. The only host that did the "here's the keys, see you later" was the boring one I mentioned above. I liked getting to know my host or having them show me parts of their city. 
Quote by JD Close
Eh, I see no problem with it.

Better than those self entitled jizz stains that beg for money to finance their trips.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Nero Galon I just got back from a Euro trip. Did lots of couchsurfing, I had a great time. Most of my hosts were great. One of them was rather boring though. 

nice man

Quote by Nero Galon
Most_Triumphanthow did you find booking/arranging stays? I have a train plan set out so I have a good idea of when I'll be needing places to stay, but say I wanted to do it on the fly, how easy is it?

on AIrbnb its very easy, couchsurfing is a bit harder on short notice because its a more open-ended/flaky system.
^ Airbnb is great. Whenever I surfed, I always had a backup (usually hostel) picked out ready to call.
Quote by JD Close
One of my buddies has invited me out to Bordeaux to stay with him this month but gonna cost £141 for my flights (not the worst). I would like to go, Bordeaux is the coolest place i've ever been, but not sure if its sensible for me to do it financially. I know he would cover the flight costs too but still, I hate to have other people pay for me.

EDIT: Motherfuckers put price up from £141 to £166 as I was making my mind up. Had to book it in the end. Money is no good sitting in the bank. 

Also, what is the system with couchsurfing? I was under the impression you guys mean't doing it through apps but is it just a matter of meeting people and agreeing with them to let you stay on their couch?

Quote by metal4eva_22
Last edited by Nero Galon at Aug 8, 2017,
Quote by Nero Galon
Also, what is the system with couchsurfing? I was under the impression you guys mean't doing it through apps but is it just a matter of meeting people and agreeing with them to let you stay on their couch?

nah there is a service you use to find people.

to go into a bit more detail, on Airbnb you kind of find a place, send a request for the nights you want to stay and then if you get a confirmation you're locked in. It just feels more definite. The Couchsurfing website is more like Facebook or something, you find people and kind of just ask them if and when you can stay and kind of work it out between yourselves.
Diamond Dave 

Signed up to it last night. I will definitely try it out it seems super cool but I think I will as you mention use AirBnB for backup if needed.

Quote by metal4eva_22