Page 1 of 2
Little game here. Imagining you were granted with the wish of getting one guitar, regardless it's price or rarity, but you couldn't get any other guitar besides it for the rest of your life, what would it be? Would you even accept such proposal?
  • You'd be free to choose any guitar you'd wish;
  • You wouldn't be allowed to own or play any other guitar besides it. This includes acoustic guitars as well;
  • You'd have to give up on all the guitars you might have right now. To make things more plausible, let's imagine you'd be also paid a fair price for all of them;
  • You could mod the wished guitar later on if you want, but you'd have to keep it's structural parts (body and neck), if you broke it your only chance would be to get it repaired;
  • You could sell it, at the cost of not playing guitar ever again.
'07 Jackson Pro Dinky DK2M (MIJ)
Squier Strat SE
Marshall Valvestate VS15R practice amp
I probably wouldn't go for the proposal (why bother?) -- there really isn't a single specific guitar I'd want over the variety I have now. Neither price nor rarity are of particular interest to me (I've turned down a '59 Burst that was offered as a swap for an old car I own).

There *are* folks who've been known for a single guitar, but the things do wear out over time (Clapton's famous Blackie has become unplayable, for example).

But in the interests of playing along... I'd transfer the hardware/firmware from one of my Line 6 JTV 89F's onto a Carvin (oh sorry, now Kiesel) 24-fret neck-through construction guitar. I like the smooth neck heel better than on the 89F's bolt-neck. The Variax's ability to mimic virtually any other guitar and its ability to do alternate tunings on the fly without changing string tension (and screwing up the Floyd Rose) is unparalleled. The current magnetic pickups are good enough (and I'm allowed to mod the guitar, so those are changeable), and its ability to work closely with something like the Helix makes that a pretty spectacular combination.

So there you go.
Mayones Regius 6, with the Triple Shot and P-Rails, of course.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Probably my Dean or my affinity Telecaster.

They're both my best playing guitars and I could probably play them every day. 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
andre.fontes.es What you're proposing is a pretty shitty deal. I could just buy this hypothetical dream guitar within a reasonable amount of time thanks to my job anyway, and still retain my freedom to own all my other guitars.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Rickenbacker 660, fireglo.
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
I'd keep my Jackson SL1. Or get another brand new one. Maybe with a flamed veneer to make it look less metal. The neck pickup is going to have to get swapped out for something hotter though.
I'm already living that game...

My one and only for the last 30 years (over 10K hrs of stage performance) has been an early "E4" Strat Plus in rare Bahama Green, one of only twenty-five made in that color. The name stamped inside is John Cruz (Master Builder, Fender Custom Shop). I didn't know about "E4", John Cruz, or Bahama Green for the first 20 years, just knew it was special in sound and feel.

Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Gibson ES 335. Covers all genres well.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by PlusPaul

My one and only for the last 30 years (over 10K hrs of stage performance) has been an early "E4" Strat Plus in rare Bahama Green, one of only twenty-five made in that color. The name stamped inside is John Cruz (Master Builder, Fender Custom Shop). I didn't know about "E4", John Cruz, or Bahama Green for the first 20 years, just knew it was special in sound and feel.

Poetry.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
andre.fontes.es What you're proposing is a pretty shitty deal. I could just buy this hypothetical dream guitar within a reasonable amount of time thanks to my job anyway, and still retain my freedom to own all my other guitars.

Eheh you're quite a lucky guy though, I must say! I wish someday I could say the same, buuuut... I'm sure you wouldn't still be able to get, say, Slash's *real* Appetite LP, or Billy Gibon's fur guitar - in an hypothetical situation we can come up with such imaginary situations that I'm sure irl no money could buy the real thing.

Quote by PlusPaul

I had obviously already checked yours on your avatar but - just like you - I wasn't aware of it's rarity. Still, it's clear the reason you love it is far superior than just regarding it's value and I think that's great.
Squier Strat SE
Quote by andre.fontes.es
Eheh you're quite a lucky guy though, I must say! I wish someday I could say the same, buuuut... I'm sure you wouldn't still be able to get, say, Slash's *real* Appetite LP, or Billy Gibon's fur guitar

Meh. Owning a guitar that was owned by a celebrity would be a novelty, but not an aspiration.

I'd rather have guitars that truly represented me, not somebody else.
Quote by TheSennaj
Oh hell yeah. If it was a celebrity guitar I'd take Jeff Hanneman's ESP with the heineken logo. 
Con: Thin neck might suck for playing bar chords alot.  

If it was just a stock guitar, i'd take a PRS custom 24. Mainly because they are the most playable guitars I've ever touched.  
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Well, you are not playing by the rules of the game. The OP described various scenarios in hopes of having a catch-all; but his failure doesn't mean you should cheat. Ok then, the aliens come in all their might, and all they care about is leaving you with only one guitar for your entire life, which they will fetch you for free. And there is no way to cheat them. What then?
Quote by Xander_X
White Peavey Vandenberg Custom.

My Black Peavey V-Type EXP Limited Edition (another Vandenberg) - though it is under extensive care right now. Previous owner wasted it like no other I have seen.
A '62RI Telecaster like mine but with the little details done more perfectly to vintage specs. Bluer Ocean Turquoise Metallic like the original stuff, "Custom Telecaster" written on the headstock like the originals. I think that's pretty much it. Sound- and feel-wise I adore that guitar as it is. Oh, I wouldn't mind stainless steel frets also because the vintage frets feel real nice but they don't last forever since they're so little.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Really interesting choices of everyone. More than just a game I was curious essentially to know what people would expect from a single guitar as their only one. Put in other words, people with nice guitar collections might have one for different genres of music or style of playing, yet here each mate would have to choose a fit for all guitar that answered the best their own preferences.

Heck, why not my turn as well, right? Of course I have plenty of guitars I'd love to have, but my choice is based pretty much on looks, general specs that would fit the genre of music I play and other people's opinions. I've been playing for 5 years now and so far I've played 3 (three) different electric guitars: my own two guitars, plus a friend's random unknown brand superstrat only once. Problem is I never feel ok about going into a guitar store and testing their instruments; not that I feel ashamed or something like that but, well, I never went into one with the purpose of buying one it the first place. Then, I never played in a band either and declined all the invites of friends to either form or join a band with them so I didn't had a chance to jam and try their instruments either.

Going back to the point, if at this moment I had to pick one, I'd probably look for the most versatile thing I could find to play different types of rock and metal. Probably a PRS since they're pretty high quality, I could then pick one with a floating bridge (I never use it and actually prefer hardtails but that's my 5 year experience, who knows when I'd want to have it - and I can lock it all the time as well) with passive pickups and coil splitting. This way I'd be sure to get an high quality instrument that could adapt itself to most of the stuff I'd ever want to play and learn without much experience regarding what I like the most on a guitar.
Squier Strat SE
Mine would be acoustic and a compromise, since I play two distinct styles for which I prefer to quite different sounds - fingerpicking and slide. The Bourgeois MS Sig I have now would be pretty good, but it would come down to a specific guitar rather than a make or model.

Easier for an electric. - Hardtail strat Warmoth bitsa, chambered alder body, mahogany neck, 2*P90.
Tele if you can only have 1 , I guess I'm living the dream right now because there's really nothing else I want that I don't already have
Quote by yakplays
My Black Peavey V-Type EXP Limited Edition (another Vandenberg) - though it is under extensive care right now. Previous owner wasted it like no other I have seen.

The V-Type, even the Limited, shares NOTHING with the Vandenberg other than the shape. All Vandenbergs, Signature, Custom, and Quilt, were all made in the USA in Peaveys custom shop with prime cuts of poplar, mahogany, and rock maple. They have customs wound pick ups and Schaller tuners, with Kahler trems, ebony boards, custom inlays and wizard thin necks. The V types are basswood, plain maple with RW boards a thick neck, junk pickups and make over seas. Completely different. That like comparing a Jackson Custom Shop with an X Series
Last edited by Xander_X at Jun 9, 2017,
Xander_X
I guess your model is the earlier one that Peavey originally introduced then? Well, thanks for the info. It's unlikely i would get this much if i asked the question... I'll keep an eye out on those.
guitars are like lays potato chips you can't just play one. if it were 2 the i might be able to pick that and live with it but even then it would be really hard. 
Quote by yakplays
Xander_X
I guess your model is the earlier one that Peavey originally introduced then? Well, thanks for the info. It's unlikely i would get this much if i asked the question... I'll keep an eye out on those.

Yes. Its really quite simple. If it says "Vadenberg" its an original USA custom shop. If it says "V-Type" its ... Well completely different. There is a VERY rare V-Type USA, which would says so on the headstock, they're more like a V-Type than a Vandenberg, but made with better parts and a bit finer attention to detail.
Pretty easy for me. Anything HSH and Floyd Rose.

You can coil split for good enough strat tones, humbuckers for everything else. You can fully block, partially block, or free float the trem. Versatile enough for me.
andre.fontes.es et al...
Some of you are misunderstanding me, sorry. This is not a celebrity owned guitar. He is very famous now (in the Fender guitar world) but this guitar was not owned by John Cruz. He was one of a handful of Fender employees building these guitars when the new Corona plant started up in 1987.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Quote by guitarkid8
Pretty easy for me. Anything HSH and Floyd Rose.

You can coil split for good enough strat tones, humbuckers for everything else. You can fully block, partially block, or free float the trem. Versatile enough for me.

yep pretty much ditto
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by andre.fontes.es
Really interesting choices of everyone. More than just a game I was curious essentially to know what people would expect from a single guitar as their only one. Put in other words, people with nice guitar collections might have one for different genres of music or style of playing, yet here each mate would have to choose a fit for all guitar that answered the best their own preferences.
I'll skip outlining my views on versatile guitars, but with regard to this question I'm not really thinking about "fit for all". There's tonnes of things my '62RI Tele isn't ideal for, but what I like about it is it does what I do, well. It feels, looks and sounds beautiful and whenever I play it I feel like Goldilocks eating tepid porridge. I'm never going to bust out Sylosis solos on it (well, I might try...) but when I play the things I like best, like funk and blues and ska punk, there's nothing better.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
^ yeah versatile means different things for different people- if the type(s) of music you play are better suited on a tele, a superstrat isn't necessarily better even if you want versatility.

I mean, I know I always say I really like superstrats, and one reason is because they're versatile- but another is that, and this is maybe more important, in addition to that, they actually suit what I play very well indeed. In fact they might be the perfect guitar for what I mostly play (80s rock and metal, hair metal, instrumental shreddy type stuff like satriani etc.)- most of those bands' guitarists also used superstrats. It might be more accurate to say that I'm buying the superstrat because it suits me; that it's very versatile too is just the icing on the cake.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Music Man Majesty seems like a good choice b/c of how versatile it is, but I'd have to play it first. Either my SG or Mockingbird would do nicely.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah versatile means different things for different people- if the type(s) of music you play are better suited on a tele, a superstrat isn't necessarily better even if you want versatility.

I mean, I know I always say I really like superstrats, and one reason is because they're versatile- but another is that, and this is maybe more important, in addition to that, they actually suit what I play very well indeed. In fact they might be the perfect guitar for what I mostly play (80s rock and metal, hair metal, instrumental shreddy type stuff like satriani etc.)- most of those bands' guitarists also used superstrats. It might be more accurate to say that I'm buying the superstrat because it suits me; that it's very versatile too is just the icing on the cake.

Yep, to me versatile can easily mean, how well a single, individual sound can work for a wide variety of genres.

I mean, I don't think there are many genres of music that a tele/esquire bridge pickup couldn't work well for, for me at least - noise issues notwithstanding, a good tele bridge pickup can have a whole lot more balls when overdriven than I think a lot of people realise.

This is a difficult question for me to answer, but I think I've already answered it somewhat, while teles don't do everything exactly how I want them to, If I didn't have a good telecaster I'd be lost without the things that it does exceptionally well for me. I would miss that more than I miss anything else, I think. So if I really really, REALLY had to stick with one guitar for the rest of my life, it would probably have to be a tele...

...but, I certainly would consider modding it. Perhaps a P90 in the neck position (although, I do love the neck pickup for certain things too.. might even miss that!), and definitely a piezo system so that I can still get some acoustic-like tones out of it, if I'm not allowed an acoustic guitar.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The Music Man comes with 4 pickups and 11 possible sound configurations, it actually cover country, blues, bluegrass even and all the way to death metal.
When I get called on studio sessions that's the guitar I take as you never know what sound they'd be after.
I have had mine since 2006, a Music Man JP6, it is the perfect guitar for me. Has everything I want, the liquifire and crunchlab pickups are great, the piezo is flexible, but overall, it is just a great guitar. I own a few guitars, and I am sure I will buy more for fun at some point in the future, but my JP6 is what I play 95% of the time. I don't expect that it will ever change. 

I would highly recommend anyone considering this kind of guitar. 
Quote by Blompcube
Yep, to me versatile can easily mean, how well a single, individual sound can work for a wide variety of genres.

I mean, I don't think there are many genres of music that a tele/esquire bridge pickup couldn't work well for, for me at least - noise issues notwithstanding, a good tele bridge pickup can have a whole lot more balls when overdriven than I think a lot of people realise.

This is a difficult question for me to answer, but I think I've already answered it somewhat, while teles don't do everything exactly how I want them to, If I didn't have a good telecaster I'd be lost without the things that it does exceptionally well for me. I would miss that more than I miss anything else, I think. So if I really really, REALLY had to stick with one guitar for the rest of my life, it would probably have to be a tele...

...but, I certainly would consider modding it. Perhaps a P90 in the neck position (although, I do love the neck pickup for certain things too.. might even miss that!), and definitely a piezo system so that I can still get some acoustic-like tones out of it, if I'm not allowed an acoustic guitar.

Yeah. I always say that we need to differentiate between (at least) two different types of versatility- the type you said (a guitar which more or less has one sound, but where that sound works for a really wide range of stuff- most of the "classics" are in this camp, like teles as you said, strats, les pauls etc.) and the other type, where a guitar can cover the sounds of more than one type of guitar and/or pickups (e.g. HSS and HSH superstrats).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
’62 strat
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
I wouldn't take the deal.  I only play a few of my guitars and could give up most of them but at this time I couldn't cut back to just one.  If I had to take the deal I'd go for a pre war Martin OM 28.  If it had to be an electric I'd go for a '57 Les Paul.
Not taking any online orders.
Page 1 of 2