Where I strum with my left hand and play the cords with my right. I am right handed but I had surgery on my left hand which takes away from dexterity.

Basically my pinky on my left hand is slightly pushed away, and there are some motions that are very hard to do. So should I just keep that my strumming hand?
If it's possible that your surgery will eventually lead to a good or full recovery, wait until it fully recovers and buy a right-handed guitar an don't look back.

Learning guitar left-handed offers very few advantages to left-handed players and all of them are only short-term. Learning to play right-handed really isn't much more difficult to a left-handed person as it is a right-handed person. Unless there's a particularly special circumstance that physically completely prohibits you from holding a pick in your right hand and fret strings with your left and there's no hope of recovery, then definitely go right-handed.

Otherwise, you're going to have to get used to being incredibly disappointed that the guitar you've always wanted to own doesn't come in a left-handed version. 99% of guitars in the world are right-handed only. Manufacturers very rarely bother to make left-handed versions as they're so much less profitable to make; they're significantly more expensive to produce from a mass-production standpoint and customer demand for left-handed guitars isn't enough to justify that additional cost.

The only way to get out of that trap is to learn the instrument in the more popular orientation in the first place. It sucks but that's the reality, and manufacturers are not going to change their minds any time soon.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 12, 2017,
have you gone through occupational or physical therapy? I would ask them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If it's possible that your surgery will eventually lead to a good or full recovery, wait until it fully recovers and buy a right-handed guitar an don't look back.

Learning guitar left-handed offers very few advantages to left-handed players and all of them are only short-term. Learning to play right-handed really isn't much more difficult to a left-handed person as it is a right-handed person. Unless there's a particularly special circumstance that physically completely prohibits you from holding a pick in your right hand and fret strings with your left and there's no hope of recovery, then definitely go right-handed.

Otherwise, you're going to have to get used to being incredibly disappointed that the guitar you've always wanted to own doesn't come in a left-handed version. 99% of guitars in the world are right-handed only. Manufacturers very rarely bother to make left-handed versions as they're so much less profitable to make; they're significantly more expensive to produce from a mass-production standpoint and customer demand for left-handed guitars isn't enough to justify that additional cost.

The only way to get out of that trap is to learn the instrument in the more popular orientation in the first place. It sucks but that's the reality, and manufacturers are not going to change their minds any time soon.

actually there are no advantages to playing leftie at any point. i know i'm a leftie. in most modern music (ie rock, country, pop) the reasoning for using your weak hand to fret isn't there so has no advantage. so in theory being a rightie  and playing a leftie guitar would work just fine. as pointed out though most guitars are made for rghties so that is a huge consideration.