Hi everyone,

I've only just created this account so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I've recently wanted to get back into playing but I don't know where to start. When I stopped playing I was at a point where I didn't feel like I was getting better so I eventually stoped. I could play a few basic scales like pentatonic and major but only in one section of the fret board. I also couldn't think of anything good to come up with while improvising which is something I'm really keen on doing because I think it's the most fun.

I just don't know where to go for advice and where do start, I don't mind learning some things from the very basics so I have a solid foundation. I'm really interested in improvising jazzy/funky/bluesy riffs and licks over a backing track (jazz mostly). I don't have any music theory behind me so I guess that would help alot, I don't know where to look online for the recorded I need.

I really want to get this rough patch out of the way before I decide to put the guitar down for its lifetime. If any one can help me with my problems then I will most appreciative. Also how can improve my speed and precision?

Thanks people,
Jord.
Last edited by jordl33 at Jun 9, 2017,
Quote by jordl33
Hi everyone,

I've only just created this account so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I've recently wanted to get back into playing but I don't know where to start. When I stopped playing I was at a point where I didn't feel like I was getting better so I eventually stoped. I could play a few basic scales like pentatonic and major but only in one section of the fret board. I also couldn't think of anything good to come up with while improvising which is something I'm really keen on doing because I think it's the most fun.

I just don't know where to go for advice and where do start, I don't mind learning some things from the very basics so I have a solid foundation. I'm really interested in improvising jazzy/funky/bluesy riffs and licks over a backing track (jazz mostly). I don't have any music theory behind me so I guess that would help alot, I don't know where to look online for the recorded I need.

I really want to get this rough patch out of the way before I decide to put the guitar down for its lifetime. If any one can help me with my problems then I will most appreciative. Also how can improve my speed and precision?

Thanks people,
Jord.

1. Practice two things: exercises like scales and whole pieces (songs, etc.).
2. Play your exercises against a metronome, and when you can do the exercise slow, bump up the speed and do it until you can do it perfectly, bump it again.
3. Play those songs against backing tracks or against recordings of the songs themselves with the idea of getting all the way through without a mistake. There are things called "phrase trainers" that will allow you to play specific sections (say, 40 seconds) of the song over and over and over again so that you can practice specific passages.
4. Play with someone else. Songs, exercises, whatever.
5. Take breaks. Take a day off. Practice something over and over and then go practice something completely different.
6. Play new things slowly. There are "slower-downers" that will reduce the speed of a recording without changing the pitch. This allows you to play along at a slow pace and build it until you can do it at the original speed.
7. Don't downtune. It's a waste of time and fuckwithage. There are pitch-changers that will maintain the speed of a piece, but change the pitch.
8. Ignore the specs of your guitar. You'll waste more time fussing over the sound of your guitar and not practicing. Don't worry if your amp doesn't sound like that of your favorite band. You'll get a brand new amp that's exactly like what they play...and you'll still suck because you can't play.
9. Play something that's not "your genre." If you like metal, learn to play some stupid country tune. If you like classical music, learn some classic rock thing. You'll find techniques and skills in those songs that you can bring to bear on your favorite music at some point.
10. Don't solo. Learn to be the best damned rhythm player on the planet. Don't try to write songs. Play everyone else's songs until you can live inside that songwriter's head. Learn to play an entire movie sound track expertly. Learn to play a part in a theater orchestra. Learn everything on at least two places on the fretboard. Go back and re-read that last sentence and actually do it. Once you've learned to do something on two places on the fretboard, go back and devise a harmony for it that uses the chord structure of the piece. Devise a *three* part harmony for it. Now devise a bass run for that harmony. Learn what a counter melody is, and write one for that same piece. At some point in this little journey, you'll have discovered you can solo, both in your head and with your fingers.