so i only have money to buy either a compressor or delay pedal. i am going for the trey anastasio sound. already have a tube screamer and envelope filter but would like to boost mids but also combine a delay with filter to get more of a washy sound. what do people think would be most useful in this situation? should i invest in the compressor for sustain and a boost or delay for the spacey sound? 

gear:
fender strat
peavey classic 30
q-tron envelope
ts mini
ehx360
Delay is a much more noticeable effect. A compressor isn't really going to boost the mids, and you've already got a tubescreamer anyway which is perfect for that. So I'd start with a delay. 

Compressor is something I like a lot, but I would add it later. 
i would go delay between the two. IMO its not an 'VS' situation in any way EXCEPT the budget aspect.

for delay if you want digital, go with TC or BOSS if you want analog look into the malekko 616, MXR CC, or a way huge aqua puss (only if you don't need longer delays).

for compressors, i am not a fan of the MXR dyna-comp. i like my pigtronix one, at the moment. not a fan of boss. i would look for a wampler ego or a diamond compressor or a clone of one of them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Delay in your situation.

Just a comment on delays in general. I have an Ib DE-7 that I never use in delay mode because I think it sounds sterile. I've discussed this, and it has been suggested that I might prefer an analog delay. The reason is that their effect is somewhat frequency-dependent, and this gives a more organic feel. However, it has also been mentioned that analog delays can be noisy. I'm not making any suggestions, but perhaps someone with more knowledge than me will comment.
Quote by Tony Done
Delay in your situation.

Just a comment on delays in general. I have an Ib DE-7 that I never use in delay mode because I think it sounds sterile. I've discussed this, and it has been suggested that I might prefer an analog delay. The reason is that their effect is somewhat frequency-dependent, and this gives a more organic feel. However, it has also been mentioned that analog delays can be noisy. I'm not making any suggestions, but perhaps someone with more knowledge than me will comment.

digital are definitely more sterile. I have gone through a few digital delays in time, there are definite plusses like tap Tempo (being more common) and can do certain rhythms. but I like analog delays because they are more natural to me. they are not necessarily louder, but that could be a price point issue.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I use my compressors a lot more than my delays but I'd still go with the delay 1st.  When you use a comp you can usually hear a dramatic difference in an a/b test however you rarely want to be able to listen to a song and say to yourself "that sounds like they are using a lot of compression."  A delay, on the other hand, does stand out and has a very noticeable effect. 
Not taking any online orders.