i'm looking to upgrade my G1ON effects unit ( cuz it sounds like shit ) because i do a lot more jams now and i'm in a band so i need something powerful to stick into the mixer and roll, and I've got 2 options here.

first would be to just get a POD HD500X and i think it sound really good in this price range and it's kinda more practical ( correct me if i'm wrong ).

second would be to get a scarlett solo and use my laptop to get  bias effects or guitar pro but i'm afraid there will be latency issues because i'm going to use it for live playing and jamming not for recording. 

unfortunately i don't think i can push my budget any further, i'm a student and i live in the middle east ( where gear is really really expensive ) 

what do you guys think ? 
HD500X.

While I appreciate FX on a laptop, you really want to consider the overall cost (including the cost of your laptop), the complication (including the business of loading up the files and how many wires you need to have plugged in at once) and your ability to change something quickly (foot pedal) if you're playing live. You might also consider what happens if your laptop is broken while you're playing (it's a bit more delicate than the HD500X) and what OTHER information or capabilities you have on the laptop that you'd be without until it's fixed or replaced.

The HD500X has a tuner built in (yeah, I know you can bring one up on the laptop, but how long does that take compared to a quick stomp, check, and stomp again between songs?), a built-in expression pedal for volume/wah or assignment to an FX, etc., hands-free operation, uncomplicated setup (at the live venue) and more.
dspellman but won't the sound be much better using a bias fx ? 
if i can live with the wires thingy do you think i'll encounter latency issues ? 
and what if i get a foot switch ? what do you think of that ? 
and is there any other same price range opponents to the pod ? 
thanks !
Get an Atomic Amplifire
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by DeathmoniC
dspellman but won't the sound be much better using a bias fx ? 
if i can live with the wires thingy do you think i'll encounter latency issues ? 
and what if i get a foot switch ? what do you think of that ? 
and is there any other same price range opponents to the pod ? 

I'm not all that concerned with latency issues with Bias. You're going to deal with it more because a PA system delays getting the sound to you a certain amount anyway. That's not the thing to focus on with Bias.

Will the sound be better? "i do a lot more jams now and i'm in a band" Define "better."

When folks come out of their bedrooms and begin playing live, priorities change. A lot. First, what you thought you heard in the bedroom, you can't hear any more. And what you thought sounded great in the bedroom doesn't sound great live. For starters, you no longer have the headphones or the small environment with hard walls that you're used to in a home practice area.

Last night I was asked to listen to a small (guitar/bass/drums/singer) band at an outdoor charity function. Drummer and bass player sounded pretty normal. The guitar player, who was working with a Gibson Trad Pro and an Engl amp with a 2x12 (also Engl) sounded like someone had packed pillows over his speakers whenever he shifted into solo mode. Seriously muffled. HE didn't hear it because he was standing right in front of the amp and hearing what he'd heard in the bedroom. But when I played it back to him, he said, "uh...oh." It was pretty nasty, muddy and muffled, and it was like that all night long. At the end of the evening, it took us 10 minutes to dial up a sound that worked better for everyone.

I'm a bit cork-sniffy, and I have a Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. that I use in conjunction with an HD500. It does a better job with cabinets (in part because it allows the use of IRs) and it offers tube power amp simulations (EL34, KT88, 6L6, etc.). I've also got a Helix now, which also offers the use of IRs. And yes, these combinations sound better than the HD500 alone. But in a live setting, the HD500 through a PA system can sound so much better than some of the $2K and up amps ("the real thing!") if set up properly.
Quote by DeathmoniC
H4T3BR33D3R it's more expensive. it sounds killer though. 

One of my issues with the Amplifire series is that it can only be purchased from a single source. I've dealt with Atomic before (I have three of their original Atomic Reactor tube-amp-powered setups for Pods), and while I like Tom King and while some of his products have been well designed and thought out, it's a lot more comforting to be able to walk into a random store and pick up a replacement unit if something goes wrong.

There are also a lot more opportunities to find good quality used gear (backups, etc.) at reasonable prices -- with Amplifire, not so much. A used HD500 these days on most Craigs will be under $350 and as low as $250. It can be a bit embarrassing to get to a big, find out your main gizmo is inoperative, and have to announce to the people that hired you for an event that your gizmo isn't working and you can't play that evening. This applies to the laptop that you're using for Bias as well. What do you want to spend for backup? And by that, I mean backup that won't have you missing most of the sound choices that you use during a set.
H4T3BR33D3R

+1
dspellman

+1

since he is just coming out, odds are that he isn't doing anything huge or crucial or that there would not something else to plug into.

he can't afford a second, and its not like he is touring.

You should ALWAYS have a backup anyways though, even if it is a butchered peavey bandit turned into a head that you keep in the trunk. my buddy did that, I did the same thing first, just with an ampeg head (err butchered combo).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
H4T3BR33D3R

+1
dspellman

+1

since he is just coming out, odds are that he isn't doing anything huge or crucial or that there would not something else to plug into.

he can't afford a second, and its not like he is touring.

You should ALWAYS have a backup anyways though, even if it is a butchered peavey bandit turned into a head that you keep in the trunk. my buddy did that, I did the same thing first, just with an ampeg head (err butchered combo).

When I first started working, it somehow never occurred to me that I might need a backup (which is pretty much an impossibility when your primary is a B3 anyway), but there were about three nights when something vital didn't work, and I never forgot it. You explode in sweat, your IQ drops one digit and you can even forget to breathe . And all the bad words you know are used up within the first three seconds.

We've identified a friend of ours as seriously anal, and confirmed it once evening when we found that the one spare he has for his car is a tail light. The definition of backup.
Quote by dspellman
When I first started working, it somehow never occurred to me that I might need a backup (which is pretty much an impossibility when your primary is a B3 anyway), but there were about three nights when something vital didn't work, and I never forgot it. You explode in sweat, your IQ drops one digit and you can even forget to breathe . And all the bad words you know are used up within the first three seconds.

We've identified a friend of ours as seriously anal, and confirmed it once evening when we found that the one spare he has for his car is a tail light. The definition of backup.

It's happened to me twice. I do know that it does suck. stupid things too. ripping a jack straight out of the wood on a tele because I stepped on it, and a tube issue (used the ampeg i mentioned ^ ). got through it thankfully.

but at the moment with his budget its not easily done.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
It's happened to me twice. I do know that it does suck. stupid things too. ripping a jack straight out of the wood on a tele because I stepped on it, and a tube issue (used the ampeg i mentioned ^ ). got through it thankfully.

but at the moment with his budget its not easily done.

Thinking beyond his budget, then -- some things are easier to source, both for temp use and as repairs, if something should go amiss. Bias FX in your personal laptop and a Scarlet interface probably less so than a Pod. Ditto Amplifire. I used a Pod XT as a backup for my HD500 early on, but if one or the other had gone down, I was pretty sure that even in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, I could find one to use for the show.