So I got a new amp head (Randall RG1003H) and I'm having some difficulty choosing a cabinet for it. The minimum impedance is 4 ohms; but I can't really seem to come across any cabinets that are actually 4 ohms, and I really don't want to have to spend the money on an extra 8 ohm cabinet. Would I be able to run just 1 8 ohm or 16 ohm cabinet without any damage to the speakers or the amp itself? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions but I'm not too familiar with ohms and impedances and whatnot

EDIT: So I was reading reviews for the head online and most of the people said they just paired it with the matching cabinet (Which is 8ohms), so would I just be able to get one of the matching ones, or a different 8ohm cab?
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Last edited by MusicMan24 at Jun 11, 2017,
it's solid state, isn't it? the minimum impedance is just what it says- don't go below it. 8 ohms will be fine, but i think that means you don't get the full wattage, you only get the full output at the minimum impedance.

(i haven't tried the amp so I can't advice on which cabinet to get to match its tone.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can run a single 8 ohm cabinet with that amp with no issues. You can also run a pair of them (which would present a 4 ohm load to the amp). Or a pair of 16 ohm cabinets.

The only thing you'd want to avoid is running a pair of 4 ohm cabinets; chances are good that your amp isn't particularly stable at 2 ohms.
The advice so far about the ohms is all OK, but what about the speaker cabs?

It really depends what you want to do, and what you want it to sound like.

If you are looking to set up a back-line for gigs I would recommend a 4x12 or two 2x12s (or a 4 x12, and Wedge monitor which is what I would do). Note that 4x12s are big and heavy and do you have transport? If you are in a metal band then two 4x12s are the requirement (or at least were when I was mixing for them).

If you are looking for something to record from then a 16 ohm 1 x12 would be enough, but a 4x12 with 4 different speakers in would be better.

I like ones with vintage guitar speakers in them, Celestians are good.

There's a whole load of issues to debate on guitar speakers and websites and stuff:

https://reverb.com/uk/news/daves-corner-speakers-for-guitar-tone-tweakers

for example.

I have often built my own cabs and I would recomend this if you are any good at DIY.