I have played guitar for over 15 years and only using Marshall valve amps and the likes.

I can't play on high volumes with big amps anymore so I'm left with playing with headphones.

I got a Sonic Port VX about a year ago and play with the mobile POD app and Apple EarPods.
The sound is very disappointing, flat and boring.

What can I buy to get better quality sound when playing with headphones and a Mac/iPhone (if its possible).

I play mostly Metallica and my favorite sound is the sound on Master of Puppets.
First try your current rig with something better than four buck ear buds. Take it to a store and try over-the-ear headphones in the $100 range (Sony 7506, AKG240, Sennheiser 280, etc.) and see if that makes a difference.

Find a used Pod XT bean and plug better headphones into it and see if that works better. A used XT bean will be around $80-90.
+1 on the better headphones. All of my practice headphones are over the ear: better speakers, better fit, better sound.

You don't have to spend big $$$ on them, though: if you check out company outlets, refurbished headphones can be had discounted up to 90% off.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You might also want to get an actual modeling device or amp that has a headphone jack. I love my Mac products, but there is something to be said for using a specialized tool as opposed to a multitasker.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
OK. Thanks for the advice. The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro is ordered.
I'll keep my eyes out for a used POD XT.