Hi,

I can play master of puppets but playing the rhythm guitar. I always wonder how James Hatfield can sing and play at the same time. 
The only song I think I can sing and play at the same time is Fade to black...

Beside throwing the word "practice" at me, can I get alternative advice or technique?

Sorry, English is not my first language.  
Thank you for any help.
practice
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
It really is the only way.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Slow it down and figure out which syllables are sung over which notes/chords. You may want to write the vocal and guitar parts on top of each other, like this:

1 & 2  & 3 & 4  & | 1 &  2 & 3   &  4  &  |
End of pas-sion play
E E E  E E E E  E | E G5 A5  Bb5 A5 G5 A5 |

Practice it slowly, and after you know how to play it in a slow tempo, speed it up.

The verse of Master of Puppets shouldn't be too difficult because the vocal parts are always sung over 8th notes played on the open E string.

So yeah, "practice" is the correct answer, but I think it's pretty important to know how to practice.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jun 12, 2017,
another thing i remember doing early on, though it probably seems obvious, is learn how to sing it and play it separately. when i say that, i mean, you need to have the song down to muscle memory using your voice and your hands, to a point where you could daydream and still be playing master of puppets

then when you're syncing them up together, usually you're just focusing on your voice. when you know you won't be singing, you can pay attention to the guitar part, but guitar isn't an expressive instrument. as long as you're playing the right frets in time, it'll sound fine.

i'd watch live performances too, and document just when he breathes, how he times his approaches to the microphone, etc. granted in newer recordings, he's been playing the sound for like 30 years, but i guarantee you'll get some ideas from a close observation of their 80s performances

but something to keep in mind: in the studio, these guys don't play and sing at the same time. they might hold their instrument and strum along to keep the rhythm while they're singing, but that's mostly a quirk. but they don't just pick up the guitar and are able to play a song that's still in development while singing it. after the song is recorded and perfected, then they start getting the muscle memory down and figuring out how to reliably do it live

one thing to note with metallica is that james' singing usually isn't that far off from what he's playing rhthmically. he sings pretty scarcely in MOP and usually fret changes and fills are put right in between vocal lines so he can glance at his fretboard as he leans into the microphone
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by sosxradar

Beside throwing the word "practice" at me, can I get alternative advice or technique?

What do you expect us to say? That you need to sacrifice two goats and drink a mystic potion to get better at that? Practice is the answer. You need to start with easier songs, like fade to black you mentioned, or enter sandman, or even stuff like knocking on a heavens door or smoke on the water. Just practice singing and playing at the same time and you'll get better over time, just don't start with anything too difficult.

Other thing you could try is taking a riff that's in 4/4, and counting to four out loud like a metronome while simultaneously playing that riff. This is kind of an easier version of singing and playing at the same time and will improve your skills in multitasking like that.

Other than that, just practice
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I have found for me personally that I cannot tackle both at the same time. I either have to know how to sing the song without any written words or I have to know how to play the song well before tacking the words. I find it easier myself to learn to play the song first from beginning to end without any issues then I tackle the singing and words. I can't learn both simultaneously. Everyone is right. There is no magic process, just lots of practice.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by sosxradar

There is no specific technique. You just have to go really slowly and do it a lot.
Everybody goes straight to MOP.  Learn some damn punk songs, learn what it's like to say things and breath and strum simple chords.

I'm not an expert, but I can tell you the first song I learned was Bite it you scum, and I put myself to sleep with that song more nights than I care to admit.  It's muscle memory, it's telling your confused mind to piss off and it's gonna do what you want it to.

I also found it helped to play my guitar, just strumming randomly really or a little riff, and carry on conversations while I do it.  It's immersion.  If you can't play a 4 note riff and talk about your favorite video game with a friend or whatever, then in my opinion you can't sing and play, and if you can't sing and play, you ain't gonna hammer Master of Puppets.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike