Page 1 of 3

Hi guys,
I have wanted a Gibson Les Paul since forever and finally I can afford it and enjoy it. I started with a cheap Strat copy HSS and then moved to a Mahogany Ibanez HH. I went to the best local guitar shop and tried a LP Classic 2017 (2190CHF) just out of curiosity, and made me remember that I wanted a Les Paul, it sounded and played great, also looked fantastic (all black, cream plastics and zebra pickups). I went to another shop and tried a LP Standard 2016 (2498CHF) and a LP Tribute 2017 (890CHF). I liked them all and made me really want to buy a Gibson, but without breaking the bank, for me that would be going over the one-grand mark; specially because I couldn’t justify to myself spending 2-6k on a guitar. The shorter scale (24.75in), felt great in comparison to my guitars (25.5in)

I looked further and found three contenders that meet my price range:

- Les Paul 50’s Tribute 2016 (900CHF)
Shop Link http://gitarrentotal.ch/de/products/gibson-les-paul-50s-tribute-satin-vintage-sunburst
Gibson link http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-50s-Tribute.aspx#LPST5HTSVCH3

- Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 (880CHF) 
Shop link http://gitarrentotal.ch/de/products/gibson-les-paul-studio-faded-2016-satin-fire-burst
Gibson link http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx#LPSTSFCH1

- Les Paul Tribute 2017 T (890CHF) 
Shop link https://promusig.ch/produkt/19876-gibson-les-paul-tribute-t-2017-honey-burst.aspx
Gibson link http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Tribute.aspx

- Les Paul Classic 2017 T (2190CHF)
Shop link http://gitarrentotal.ch/de/products/gibson-les-paul-classic-2017-ebony-limited-run
Gibson link http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Classic.aspx

All three cost almost the same and I like the looks on all, the Classic is there as my "ideal goal". I would prefer cream plastics and open humbuckers (Tribute) but the looks on the Studio are starting to grow on me; besides the plastics can be easily changed for little money. I’ve read mixed reviews about the pickups too, some saying that the Burstbucker Pros (Studio) sound fantastic and really capture the original Les Paul “tone”, but I was under the impression that the 490R/498T (tribute) would be the ideal combination of AlNiCo 2 on the neck for sustain and AlNiCo 5 on the bridge for harmonics. I have also read that the 490R/498T (tribute) get too muddy with the volume on 10. I have looked both up on youtube and the Gibson site and could not tell much difference.

This is my first expensive guitar purchase so I want to be sure of what I’m getting. I could order the Studio online for “only” 749CHF (http://shop.musix.ch/de/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Faded-2016-T-SFB-Satin-Fire-Burst.html
) or the Classic for "only" 1695CHF (http://shop.musix.ch/de/Gibson-LP-Classic-Plaintop-HB-honey-burst.html) . I went to the shop and both had been sold, but they told me to come backin 1-2 weeks as they will receive new stock. I will use it mainly for home practice and fun, played through a Marshal G15RCD, which is enough for my home or headphones when I do not want to disturb the others.

Do you own both? Have you played both? Any comments on the pickups or other aspects of the guitar?

Cheers,
Walter

P.S. For the sake of simplicity, let us say that 1CHF is equal to 1USD.
P.S.S. If you live in Zürich and want to get together and jam, send me a PM.
Last edited by waltervt at Jun 12, 2017,
But used and get a better guitar. Not a fan of the faded models at al
Quote by monwobobbo

I'm sort of in this camp as well. The two you're looking at are at the bottom end of Gibson's lineup, and my personal opinion is that Gibson does not do its best work until you get to the more expensive guitars. You're mostly buying the logo at this price range, and there are actually better guitars to be had from the offshore (Asian, that is) sources. You can step up several notches in quality by going used with your budget. All but one of my Gibsons were used purchases, and that one new guitar was a $4K Gibson Axcess Custom from seven or eight years ago.
BTW, you'll probably find your personal experience with these guitars a lot different from "reviews" and Youtube vids, both of which I ignore completely when considering guitars. Listening to Youtube sound through a set of four buck ear buds or some tiny computer speakers will not be the same as hearing these guitars in person through a solid amp.

You're also going to have to consider neck thickness; Gibson is all over the place here, and it may make a difference to your playing comfort. And finally, Gibson has been variable, of late, in its quality control. You really need to inspect the guitar you end up with with a critical eye when you get it. You'll find incidences of separating fretboards, cracked neck heels, cracked headstocks, file chatter on binding and frets that aren't level on this forum alone. Some of those are shipping glitches, some manufacturing, but it's always sad to find people discovering these things a month or more after they buy the guitar.
Quote by monwobobbo

Quote by dspellman
I'm sort of in this camp as well. The two you're looking at are at the bottom end of Gibson's lineup, and my personal opinion is that Gibson does not do its best work until you get to the more expensive guitars. You're mostly buying the logo at this price range, and there are actually better guitars to be had from the offshore (Asian, that is) sources. You can step up several notches in quality by going used with your budget. All but one of my Gibsons were used purchases, and that one new guitar was a $4K Gibson Axcess Custom from seven or eight years ago.

You mean like this? It is a LP Studio for 650CHF, but it has a HORRIBLE aging/relicing job.

http://www.tutti.ch/zuerich/musik/instrumente/angebote/gibson-les-paul-studio-vintage-burst_15507059.htm
With those two models I think it comes down to pup preference. I like Gibson pups overall.  The 498T/498R (imo) are good all around Rockers' I've had them in a couple of Studio's, Explorer and an SG. With the BB-Pro's , I have only tried them in a (stock) LP-Special Pro' which is all Hog' so I have no idea how they would sound with a maple top. They sound cool in the hog Gibson.

Me, with that budget I would hunt down a used "regular" Studio. The studio's in general can be real keeps if you find a good one.
Imo. Don't buy a Gibson . Spend your money on a guitar that gives you more than just a popular name on the headstock .
When it comes to buying a Gibson, ignore all the advice above and tour round guitar shops trying them.  When you find the guitar that's right for you, you'll fall in love with it & know it's the one.  Try other brands too.  You may surprise yourself.

That happened to me about 5 years ago.  I was shopping with a budget of £2k (which in the UK is enough for pretty much anything except the Custom Shop range).  I tried 100s of guitars (and not just Gibsons), but the best I found was a Faded Studio.

That's right, the best guitar I could find was the bottom of their range.

Any advice relating to Gibsons & price ranges equaling quality is wrong.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jun 12, 2017,
Quote by waltervt
You mean like this? It is a LP Studio for 650CHF, but it has a HORRIBLE aging/relicing job.

http://www.tutti.ch/zuerich/musik/instrumente/angebote/gibson-les-paul-studio-vintage-burst_15507059.htm

I'm not a fan of fake wear on guitars -- it seems that they almost always take it too far. I have guitars from 1939 that don't have that much. If you go to a guitar show here in LA, you'll find wear on vintage guitars, but generally the only ones that have that much wear are brand new ones that have had the wear faked.
Last edited by paruwi at Jun 12, 2017,
Quote by paruwi

Thanks a lot for the advise, but if I'm not buying a Gibson I rather buy an Epiphone that any other brand. Althought some of the models you mentioned look real nice!
Quote by waltervt
Thanks a lot for the advise, but if I'm not buying a Gibson I rather buy an Epiphone that any other brand. Althought some of the models you mentioned look real nice!

We all know the best Epiphones had been made in Japan at the FujiGen factory - the Elite / Elitist series

The FGN branded LP-models (Neo Classic LC/LS 10/20/30) basicly are the improved variations of those 'legendary Epiphones

The specs and the craftmanship is way above compared to the much higher priced Models from Nashville or elsewhere

When I found out about this brand I've made a thread with lots of informations here

http://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/fgn-fujigen-guitars-japan.97/
Quote by waltervt

You may want to rethink this. Having a high quality guitar that plays and sounds great is more important than name on headstock
Quote by waltervt
Thanks a lot for the advise, but if I'm not buying a Gibson I rather buy an Epiphone that any other brand!

I can understand that, to a point. It's got the correct body shape and Gibson at least owns the brand name. And it can be just plain confusing to sort out all the other brands.

But paruwi has a point. In the '70's, when Gibson quality control was slipping, Japanese guitars actually passed Gibson. Since then, they've had an outstanding reputation (depending on the brand and the model of guitar you choose) and some of them actually have nitrocellulose finishes (though honestly, I'm not a fan of nitro finishes any more at all). When you've got Billy Gibbons playing a Tokai Love Rock, you can pretty much count on at least some of these Japanese guitars being quite legit.

I've personally gone completely off the reservation when it comes to the low-priced spread. Here in the US a small importer brings guitars over in container loads and then sells them direct. This eliminates most of the 50% or so that a brick and mortar store adds to the selling price of any guitar that they handle (and most other online sources really qualify as brick and mortar stores in terms of their selling price). Some years ago I made some suggestions based on a custom guitar I had done through this importer, and now you can get a Les-Paul-style guitar with neck-through construction (none of the standard issues with LP headstock breakage or with necks separating from bodies), full figured maple tops, LP Custom-style binding on body, headstock and fretboard, ebony fretboards, real MOP and/or abalone inlays, good A5 pickups, high-quality bridges (what you would upgrade to if you upgraded your Gibson) and tailpieces, jumbo frets, 13.7" radii fretboards, TUSQ nuts and (my favorite features) carved Axcess-style neck heels and tummy cuts. The drawbacks? A slightly truncated cutaway point (actually better for upper fret access) and a headstock and logo that don't say "Gibson." Oh, and a pricetag of $499 here in the US. A good hard case and shipping will add almost $100 to that. Given that pricetag, you could stuff custom pickups and wiring in it all day long and still have a much better guitar than what you get from Gibson for anything under $1000. Unfortunately, they're not available in your neck of the woods.

I guess the point is that in the under-$1000 range (in particular), there are all kinds of options that are NOT Gibson that may actually be better guitars absent the Gibson logo. In MY opinion, Gibson really comes alive in guitars that run well over $2500. It's a premium brand and hits its stride at that point.
The trouble with the past couple of posts is that when someone has always wanted a Gibson and is finally in a position to afford one, nothing else will scratch that itch.  You could buy the best guitar in the world, but there will always be that part of your mind that still wants the guitar you dreamed of.

That said, when shopping you should always try other guitars as well.  It will help you narrow down exactly what you're looking for in a guitar, and exactly what you definitely don't want.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Sure, if the name is the reason you want one, then I guess only Gibson is good enough.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Somehow I know the story of owning the 'real one'
I had to turn 50 to own my first Gibson, a really nice Midtown Custom
Last year I sold it after owning it for more than 4 years
and bought one more FGN.....
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Sure, if the name is the reason you want one, then I guess only Gibson is good enough.

The right Gibson still matters.

About 15 years ago, when I could finally afford it I ordered an LP standard just because it was the dream.  I hated it.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
The right Gibson still matters.

About 15 years ago, when I could finally afford it I ordered an LP standard just because it was the dream.  I hated it.

Sounds like my Les Paul Supreme story.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by GaryBillington
The trouble with the past couple of posts is that when someone has always wanted a Gibson and is finally in a position to afford one, nothing else will scratch that itch.  You could buy the best guitar in the world, but there will always be that part of your mind that still wants the guitar you dreamed of.

That said, when shopping you should always try other guitars as well.  It will help you narrow down exactly what you're looking for in a guitar, and exactly what you definitely don't want.

That is true, although I was originally aiming at an Epiphone. I'm not the most sensitive person when it comes to tone and woods, so if I play a couple of Les Pauls blindfolded I might not be able to tell the difference, and maybe I would. 
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

The thing is, the way I see it is: If I'm going to spend a lot on a guitar (LP) it might as well be a Gibson. If I'm gonna go "cheap" I'll get an Epi that I can mess around with, swap pickups, rewire, etc.
Quote by waltervt
The thing is, the way I see it is: If I'm going to spend a lot on a guitar (LP) it might as well be a Gibson. If I'm gonna go "cheap" I'll get an Epi that I can mess around with, swap pickups, rewire, etc.

Surely if you're going to spend a lot you should make sure it's the best guitar possible?

Going to other brands doesn't necessarily mean going cheap.

Are you looking for a good guitar or are you looking for a Gibson?
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Surely if you're going to spend a lot you should make sure it's the best guitar possible?

Going to other brands doesn't necessarily mean going cheap.

Are you looking for a good guitar or are you looking for a Gibson?

Right?

Also I feel like because OP thinks Gibsons are expensive, that means they're automatically better than anything else which isn't the case at all.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
is Gibson's QC spotty? yes.
are they overpriced? I would tend to say yeah
are they all bad? NO. there are nice Gibson's for the money.

I do think that gibson at time gets too much bad press.

my next LP would probably be a FGN though to be honest.

I own two gibson LP studios. 2006ish.

I played probably well over a dozen and bought my favorite two. the ones I have are great.

but give them a shot if you see one in a store sitting around.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
is Gibson's QC spotty? yes.
are they overpriced? I would tend to say yeah
are they all bad? NO. there are nice Gibson's for the money.

I do think that gibson at time gets too much bad press.

my next LP would probably be a FGN though to be honest.

I own two gibson LP studios. 2006ish.

I played probably well over a dozen and bought my favorite two. the ones I have are great.

but give them a shot if you see one in a store sitting around.

Gibson is a victim of expectations. The high end stuff needs to be great due to cost the lower end stuff because of rep. Sadly the lower end guitars aren't any better than many imports and often have inferior specs. Agree that many studios are very good guitars. The price on those had been steadily creeping up. The cheaper versions just seem well...cheap.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by GaryBillington

Sounds like my Les Paul Supreme story.

I just avoided buying a Gibson by trying them out first.

For Gibson money, I'd sooner buy a Heritage, FGN or some such.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I just avoided buying a Gibson by trying them out first.

For Gibson money, I'd sooner buy a Heritage, FGN or some such.

I was young and wanted a white Les Paul. That's why I'm a proponent of 'try before you buy' now

I'd probably skip Heritage cause that headstock is too ugly for my tastes. I wouldn't mind a Navigator though or a Momose. Those would be my higher end choices.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by waltervt
That is true, although I was originally aiming at an Epiphone. I'm not the most sensitive person when it comes to tone and woods, so if I play a couple of Les Pauls blindfolded I might not be able to tell the difference, and maybe I would. 

Why does it have to be a Gibson?

You can get much higher quality guitars with the aforementioned MIJ brands.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by GaryBillington

I get that.

My very first guitar was a Gibson and my bandmates (I was actually a keyboard player at the time) were all using Gibson and Guild, so it wasn't a "special day" or even a very special guitar. In fact, I think the next six or seven were all Gibsons as well. There was no "culmination of a dream" about it. In fact, my best guitar was a 1939 Epiphone Emperor archtop acoustic that I had rebuilt and refinished (this was one from the era when Epiphone's top end was arguably better than Gibson's and Gibson didn't own the brand but competed against it).
dspellman

Not "arguably"- Epiphones from that era were top of the heap.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I wanted a Gibson LP because Jimmy Page played one and when you're 14 that's important, these days I think the PRS guitars look appealing.
My  2017 Les Paul Tribute  

That' s a great pure guitar, I paid 700 €, a very good deal   

I played an ESP gold top once and it was rad, like really rad
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
A Dean Cadillac might be worth your time. I personally don't like the feel of the Les Pauls. Played a few in some some shops of varying price ranges and they just don't feel right in my hands. That's just me though lol. Give a few brands a shot with similar body styles and once it feels right in your hands grab it up fast! It may not be around much longer lol
Caddys are nice, but they're going to have a much skinnier neck than most LPs, real-deal or clone.

dannyalcatraz huh I thought the opposite lol the neck on mine seemed thicker than the LP's I tried out. Funny how people feel different things. My buddy has a mockingbird and its neck is waaay to thin and wide for my liking.

OP if you want a thicker neck stay away from the mockingbird lol
I've always wanted a Gibson Les Paul as well, and the feel and sound great! But like you said they're ridiculously priced. I found and Epiphone copy and was wondering if you would recommend it.
Im having trouble with deciding between blue burst or cherry burst. I havent seen a blue burst in person yet but they look amazing online. Ive always wanted a gibson cherry burst since its iconic gibson. But that blue burst is just so damn beautiful.
Page 1 of 3