I'm a big fan of hearing rock covers of songs from both rock and other genres.  I have a couple of albums by LA Guns full of covers and another by Placebo (actually a bonus disc with one of their main studio albums) but I'm hungry for more.

What other bands have done good albums of cover versions?

I'm also interested if there exists a various artists compilation album of covers.  The closest I have is a couple of tribute albums where a selection of artists all cover songs by a specific artist - I have one of these for Motley Crue & another for The Cult, but recommendations for other bands & anything less specific would be welcomed.

NOTE:  Please make sure all recommendations are available on CD in the UK.  I don't do downloads where music is concerned.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
GaryBillington Murder by Death.

I'm a big fan of theirs in general.  but they do these cover albums via a gofundme type thing where the people who contribute choose which songs they play.  They are really awesome.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
OK, so I had a quick listen online & they sounded OK, although their covers were just covers, not rock versions of the songs.

Also, they're download only - I NEVER download, I always buy CDs, so as stated need the album to be available on CD in the UK.

Thanks for trying though.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
OK, so I had a quick listen online & they sounded OK, although their covers were just covers, not rock versions of the songs.

Also, they're download only - I NEVER download, I always buy CDs, so as stated need the album to be available on CD in the UK.

Thanks for trying though.

It's all good, it's a band I've liked for a while and I think it's an innovative idea to have your audience choose what you're covering and recording.  It's not glam rock or punk for sure - though a quick listen isn't exactly the same as listening to both volumes of covers.  That said - they are quite a bit different than the originals, so "just covers" doesn't really cut it.

I wasn't aware they were out of print.  I own the CD's and the records of both volumes.  I guess only being ok means you have out of print albums, whereas I can pick up LA Guns for a quarter at the local record shop  (not a joke, I bought cocked and loaded for a quarter.)

cheers and good luck
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
also, I mean, is Me first and the Gimme gimmes out of the question?  Not my favorite ever as they are a gimmick and the songs get annoying.  But when you consider it's exclusively a cover band (punk/pop punk in nature) formed of the members from other big bands (Foo Fighters, NoFx, Lagwagon , Swingin Utters) it's worth a listen.  8 albums of covers.  I have a couple of them and they're fun from time to time.  That's about all I know in terms of covers.
-Matt Fucking Pike