*Dean, not "dead". Damn freaking autotype!!!  

I thought they're great for beginners like me. Yep, I was a beginner of guitars in almost a decade ago and still loving my $300 Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric guitar to death.

What are your thoughts on Dean electric guitars?
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
Last edited by Hal-Sephira at Jun 12, 2017,
Deans in my experience are poor.

Their <$500 ones are truly awful. Some of the worst guitars I've ever played that weren't from some generic brand. I tried a friend's Dimeblade ML once and the neck felt as rough as a bear's arse, the fretwork was dreadful, the bridge pickup was crap, it did not stay in tune and overall just felt like not a single crap was given when the guitar was made. Worst of all, it was absolutely hideous.

I've played the higher end $1000 Deans as well, and my impression was that they were just overpriced. The specs of the guitars at that price really weren't all that great and they just felt more cheaply made.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I think the best thing about Dean Guitars are the Dean Girls that they hire for NAMM.
I tried to pick a shot that was NOT NSFW...

One year we had one of the artists (who was signing autographs) sneak some booze in for them. One by one they made trips to the bathroom and came back ever more giggly.

I've never owned a Dean guitar. And no interest, frankly.
Last edited by dspellman at Jun 12, 2017,
I've never respected them for some reason.  

I know they can be good guitars, I've just never liked them.  I'm human, I'm allowed to have unfounded bias.  This is one them.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
I have a series II Dean Z standard.

Its probably the best playing guitar I have. The Dean V neck is amazing.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R Everyone I know who has a Dean absolutely love it.  Maybe something happened in my childhood and I have deep seeded Dean issues.  Maybe I knocked one over at a guitar shop and it broke and my parents had to pay for it so they had to hock a wedding band and I buried it deep in my subconscious and now I hate Dean.  I don't know.  I pass them up instantly - almost (*) embarrassed to admit it.

"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
You do you.

I only like the old ones anyway.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I wouldn't touch a sub-$500 Dean.

But I love my EVO and my Time Capsule Cadillac- bought at the same time. The only thing the EVO needs is new pickups. The stock ones are harsh.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Dean is much like BC Rich but they haven't really made as much effort to rescue the brand. seems like dean likes to get big name endorses but really drop the ball on the lower end stuff. 

i've played deans in all price ranges and have found that at least the original (70s) designs on the higher end were decent guitars. i liked their LP style guitar and thought  the Leslie west sig was pretty good. only tried an higher end Michael Schenker sig and it was pretty good. Dime models forget it most were crap. 

shame because back in the 70s Dean made great guitars that were meant for players with some bucks to spend (the hot girls in the posters didn't hurt either). BC Rich was the same way. i remember getting instant respect in the very early 80s when i said i played a BC Rich Mockingbird (of course i'd only been playing for 3-4 years and wasn't very good). why,  because they were considered "rock star" guitars that regular folks didn't have. 
Never owned one but played a Dean that was priced at $400 or so, couldn't tell you the model or anything but for what it's worth I thought it was a nice guitar. It was kinda confusing as I've heard other thoughts.

http://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=819998161576

Had my eye on the Deth we Trust guitar but also had to admit it was all cosmetic lol.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
I kinda like em but I've never owned one.  I've only ever played a select V once (made in Korea?) and I thought it was decent but I always wanted one of those time capsule V's or Z's made in the USA.  The specs were spectacular and they look MUCH better than gibson V's or Explorers IMHO. It's kind of a shame they're focusing more on the "metal" guitars like all the razorbacks.  I thought they pretty much nailed the rock look with the V's, Z's, and even the Cadilacs with the nice tops and rounded edges.  The "hardtail" was also a nice attempt at a PRS style guitar.   If I ever run into one of those at a good price and it played well I'd probably buy it.

I like guitars that are a bit different though, I've never really wanted to own a Strat or a Gibson LP.  I actually find them a bit boring and I can't take any guitar company seriously if they just copy other company's shapes and don't try to make their own.  Dean have done that.