Hey all, 

I'm searching for the ideal metal/hard rock guitar, and it seems the Ibanez RG is the tool for the job. I'm buying used, and would like to know if there are any particular years/models that I should look out for. I'm especially interested in getting a MIJ RG with a quality trem bridge. I've got up to $1000 to burn, but will go much lower if the difference in quality is negligible. 

Thanks.
whatever prestige tickles your fancy.

I own five, love them. I prefer the j crafts over the non j crafts.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I prefer the late 80's models myself, when they were all MIJ.  The quality is still there with the Prestige models, but I prefer the original Wizard neck and original Edge trem.  Plus you can pick up a "Golden Era" Ibanez for well under your $1,000 budget and preferences aside, you're not going to get any better in quality with Ibanez, accept MAYBE an American Master.
Quote by poochypooch
trashedlostfdup
Interesting. Why do you like those better?

I would assume it's because the J Craft's had some extra finishing steps before they left the factory.  A higher attention to detail.
Welp, just pulled the trigger and got the 2006 Prestige RG1570 in mirage red (the first link). Excited to play it. 
Quote by trashedlostfdup
whatever prestige tickles your fancy.

I own five, love them. I prefer the j crafts over the non j crafts.

Isn't J Craft just a marketing term for anything Ibanez made @ Fujigen (Prestige & J Custom)? My MiJ 1993 S540 is every bit as good as any modern Prestige. Could be because it's made by the same people at the same plant :P

poochypooch, enjoy the 1570. Out of the 8 MiJ (7 prestige) Ibanez I own, the 1570 is my best to play.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Isn't J Craft just a marketing term for anything Ibanez made @ Fujigen (Prestige & J Custom)? My MiJ 1993 S540 is every bit as good as any modern Prestige. Could be because it's made by the same people at the same plant :P

i don't want to put words in his mouth, but i imagine he was just using "j craft" as shorthand for any of the japanese ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are some prestiges that get a j-craft treatment. they are like limited editions that aren't full on j customs with all the fancy extra stuff.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
How much better is a J Custom to a Premium or Prestige model?  
Quote by Gosss
How much better is a J Custom to a Premium or Prestige model?  

The J.Custom is the best. You get all the fancy stuff plus the master builders build it so they double check everything. They have the best finishes too.

That being said the ones with the flower inlays are really expensive. The ones without inlays are much less. The prestiges are pretty good already. I dunno if I'd buy a j. custom.
Quote by AcousticMirror
The J.Custom is the best. You get all the fancy stuff plus the master builders build it so they double check everything. They have the best finishes too.

That being said the ones with the flower inlays are really expensive. The ones without inlays are much less. The prestiges are pretty good already. I dunno if I'd buy a j. custom.

I agree.  Id be happy enough with a Prestige RG model.  They run around $1200 - $1600.  A J-Custom is like $4200.  
I've seen both J Custom's and USA Custom's around the $1000 mark plenty of times, used of course, but if you're willing to look and be patient.
Quote by Xander_X
I've seen both J Custom's and USA Custom's around the $1000 mark plenty of times, used of course, but if you're willing to look and be patient.

That may be true, but all of the J customs I've seen at that price were hideous or lacked the tree of life inlay, a la this monstrosity:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/321877989552
pretty much the only reason I'd get a j custom is for the tree of life inlay or a really nice finish.
Quote by poochypooch
That may be true, but all of the J customs I've seen at that price were hideous or lacked the tree of life inlay, a la this monstrosity:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/321877989552
pretty much the only reason I'd get a j custom is for the tree of life inlay or a really nice finish.

Ooo ... That IS nasty. I don't care for the fancy TOL inlays myself, though I did always like the DNA inlay.

I agree the J customs are usually up there, but the old USA Customs, made in the "Golden Era" are regularly $1,500 and down to $800.
Quote by AcousticMirror
There are some prestiges that get a j-craft treatment. they are like limited editions that aren't full on j customs with all the fancy extra stuff.

All 7 of my Prestiges have the Team J Craft stamp on the back of their headstocks. Do those special prestiges have it on there more than once or something? Rich from ibanezrules has said that it's just a marketing term for guitars coming out of Fujigen. Not saying there aren't limited editions, but are they any better than a bog standard Prestige?

And ouch at the ebay JC. It'd need a really good fret job or a refret and there's more rust in the trem than you'd find in a Lancia Beta coupe!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
All 7 of my Prestiges have the Team J Craft stamp on the back of their headstocks. Do those special prestiges have it on there more than once or something? Rich from ibanezrules has said that it's just a marketing term for guitars coming out of Fujigen. Not saying there aren't limited editions, but are they any better than a bog standard Prestige?

And ouch at the ebay JC. It'd need a really good fret job or a refret and there's more rust in the trem than you'd find in a Lancia Beta coupe!

I have no clue. It could very well be a marketing thing. All my prestiges are from a long time ago. my S doesn't have J craft on it.
Quote by AcousticMirror
I have no clue. It could very well be a marketing thing. All my prestiges are from a long time ago. my S doesn't have J craft on it.

What year S? There were a few years that Prestige S models were made in Korea. They'd have serial numbers starting with K. Anything starting with F would have been Fujigen made. That goes for the pre-Prestige models as well.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Not sure when they started stamping, sold my 1999 rg7620 (pre prestige) years ago but I'm pretty sure it didn't have it. When did they start using the Prestige name? 2003, right? That would explain the lack on your S and 550, both were made before then.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Not sure when they started stamping, sold my 1999 rg7620 (pre prestige) years ago but I'm pretty sure it didn't have it. When did they start using the Prestige name? 2003, right? That would explain the lack on your S and 550, both were made before then.

they are both prestige labeled. no team craft stamp on the back. made in japan with serial on the back of the neck.
Quote by AcousticMirror

i still kick myself that i didn't buy a j custom when they were easily available here, and not that dear (around £1300).

i'd say the j customs (that i've tried) were a step up from the prestiges, but as you say the prestiges are pretty sweet, too. it really depends on what the price difference is, i would say.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AcousticMirror
they are both prestige labeled. no team craft stamp on the back. made in japan with serial on the back of the neck.

What year was the rg550 made? I didn't think _any_ of them had a prestige label on the headstock, just RG series. Even the ones that came out in 2002 (first year of the modern Prestige line)

Guess there's confusion because, there were Prestiges from 1996-2002(3). But they were limited, such as the rg3070 or the rg baritones. The rg550 & 570 were renamed 1550/1570 Prestige in 2003. 
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
What year was the rg550 made? I didn't think _any_ of them had a prestige label on the headstock, just RG series. Even the ones that came out in 2002 (first year of the modern Prestige line)

Guess there's confusion because, there were Prestiges from 1996-2002(3). But they were limited, such as the rg3070 or the rg baritones. The rg550 & 570 were renamed 1550/1570 Prestige in 2003. 

i'll check my rg tomorrow. it might actually be an rg6xx. it's in its case right now.