I have had to replace the V4 socket twice now on my 5150III within a month. This time I heard a crack as I didn't have standby on when plugging a delay into my FX loop.

So has anyone experienced this problem of making some mistake causing blowing out the exact same socket?

Or is it just random?

http://imgur.com/9EmHyCz
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
V4 socket or tube?

Have you inspected the board yet?

Are you comfortable messing around inside an amp with high voltages present?  If not, take it to a tech or use your warranty.

I'm guessing a pin arc'd or a trace fried and until that is fixed it will keep blowing tubes.

(unrelated but odd that the PI is labeled V9 on this amp)
Use your warranty. Why fix it when you can get a brand new replacement?

And what exactly did you do right when the fault occurred? You'll need to know this in case it's something you're doing that's harmful to the amp that could also blow the replacement.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
V4 socket or tube?

Have you inspected the board yet?

Are you comfortable messing around inside an amp with high voltages present?  If not, take it to a tech or use your warranty.

I'm guessing a pin arc'd or a trace fried and until that is fixed it will keep blowing tubes.

(unrelated but odd that the PI is labeled V9 on this amp)

The tube. Replacing the tube works fine.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Use your warranty. Why fix it when you can get a brand new replacement?

And what exactly did you do right when the fault occurred? You'll need to know this in case it's something you're doing that's harmful to the amp that could also blow the replacement.

This time I heard a crack as I didn't have standby on when plugging a delay into my FX loop.

The off procedure for this amp is slightly complicated Standby turned on first. Then turn it off after.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III 50. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. EHX Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker. Polytune mini. e906. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Last edited by Deermonic at Jun 14, 2017,
Deermonic

you can flip both switches

standby is not even necessary in tube amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Deermonic

you can flip both switches

standby is not even necessary in tube amps.

This is from the manual...

POWER—Turns the amp ON-OFF. After turning the POWER switch to ON, wait 30 seconds for the tubes to warm up, then turn the STANDBY switch to ON to take the amp out of STANDBY mode. Before turning the amp POWER to OFF, place the amp in STANDBY by tuning this switch to OFF for 10 seconds before turning the POWER to OFF.
Quote by Deermonic
This time I heard a crack as I didn't have standby on when plugging a delay into my FX loop.

The off procedure for this amp is slightly complicated Standby turned on first. Then turn it off after.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
So the crack I heard from the speaker when I plugged a pedal into the FX LOOP without having it on standby mode has nothing to do with the amp being on and dialed in?
Quote by Deermonic
So the crack I heard from the speaker when I plugged a pedal into the FX LOOP without having it on standby mode has nothing to do with the amp being on and dialed in?

How did the video manage to bring you to even asking that question?

For the speaker to produce any sound, the amp has to be powering it. How is that not obvious, and at what point in that video does it attempt to challenge that simple fact?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE - The video is saying is that the standby is not necessary. I can just use the volume dials to turn it down and it's the same thing as being on standby. Alright so basically when I use standby it's like dialing the volume to 0. However when the valve blew, my gear was well on including the volume up when I plugged a jack into a pedal. I am wondering if that can cause the same problem to appear in amps such as the same valve blowing in the same location for some reason due to that crack's cause/problem hitting that valve first on the design or something.

BTW - I have no problem with the video. I have used his stuff before to true bypass my Dunlop Wah.
Last edited by Deermonic at Jun 14, 2017,
Quote by Deermonic
T00DEEPBLUE - The video is saying is that the standby is not necessary. I can just use the volume dials to turn it down and it's the same thing as being on standby. Alright so basically when I use standby it's like dialing the volume to 0. However when the valve blew, my gear was well on including the volume up when I plugged a jack into a pedal. I am wondering if that can cause the same problem to appear in amps such as the same valve blowing in the same location for some reason due to that crack's cause/problem hitting that valve first on the design or something.

The answer to your hypothesis is no.

There are a few reasons why, but the most pertinent reason of all is that even if it could damage the valve, V4 doesn't even receive a signal from your effects loop! If you read the picture you linked on imgur, it lists V4 as part of channel 3's preamp gain stages. V4 gets its signal from the guitar before the effects loop even touches it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE I actually don't know how the FX Loops is processed here. Maybe you can tell me more about that from the diagram, thanks.

Ok so the hypothesis is a no. That's fine, all I really wanted to know, except you have me asking questions now about how the FX Loop works there.
Is V4 a cathode follower on this amp? Some tube brands (Tung-Sol for sure, can't remember if there are others) crap out in those circuits. 
Quote by Deermonic
T00DEEPBLUE I actually don't know how the FX Loops is processed here. Maybe you can tell me more about that from the diagram, thanks.

Ok so the hypothesis is a no. That's fine, all I really wanted to know, except you have me asking questions now about how the FX Loop works there.

Effects loops always go after the preamp gain stages of any guitar amplifier. They're a section in the amp's signal chain that allows you to run effects (and other peripherals) between the preamp and the power section of an amplifier, at voltages that are broadly termed as 'line level'.

There's no laws of nature dictating how effects are to be arranged in a signal chain, but generally modulation, EQ and time-based effects in general sound better in the effects loop. This is because when these effects are run before the preamp, their sound is affected by any distortion that the preamp is creating. And depending on the effect, this can cause them to sound pretty crappy. Delay pedals tend to be totally overwhelming before the preamp, as the repeats from the delay pedal are being heavily amplified and distorted by the gain stages. The distortion that's happening in the amplifier has largely already taken place by the time the signal reaches the effects loop, so any effects that come after that distortion will be reproduced cleanly. And this just makes certain effects sound better. 
Quote by Roc8995 Is V4 a cathode follower on this amp? Some tube brands (Tung-Sol for sure, can't remember if there are others) crap out in those circuits. 

EVH's come stock with JJ's.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Hopefully they were replaced with something compatible.

I don't mean Tung-sol don't last quite as long, I mean they're basically unusable - they'll die in a couple of hours, often. They'd never ship with those, but if the stock tube got replaced with one for whatever reason, and you keep using the same brand in a cathode follower spot trying to diagnose a problem, you could end up in a scenario just like this, thinking it's the amp when it's not. 
T00DEEPBLUE - Have you ever seen JJ pre-amp tubes without the JJ symbol on them? Like just plain?
Roc8995 - I have a few sets of different tubes. For this amp, JJs seems to the way to go for me.
Quote by Deermonic
T00DEEPBLUE - Have you ever seen JJ pre-amp tubes without the JJ symbol on them? Like just plain?

Yup.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee