Page 1 of 5
The fellow that shot up a Republican baseball game is very left.
Hodgkinson is a member of a number of anti-Republican groups on Facebook, including one called “Terminate the Republican Party.”

▪ “The Road to Hell is Paved with Republicans”

▪ “Donald Trump is not my President”

▪ “President Bernie Sanders”

▪ “Illinois Berners United to Resist Trump”

▪ “Boycott the Republican Party”

▪ “Expose Republican Fraud”

▪ “Terminate the Republican Party”
Last edited by 33db at Jun 14, 2017,
How strange, I could have sworn I read the thread title as, "I'm a melt Pt. II", but it changed to some other form of noise when I entered.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
I wonder how many anti-DNC groups you're in on Facebook? Facebook groups are basically meaningless meme aggregators, not true political action committees.

While the shooting is very possibly politically related, citing Facebook groups is pretty weak.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jun 14, 2017,
The guy had a sign protesting wealth inequality. Pretty sure he's a commie terrorist.
I only posted this to show that excessive media coverage and social media hyperbole have a price.

My original title may have been in bad taste but the topic media driven nuttery is a valid discussion.
33db

How do you argue that excessive media and social media made this man kill a congressman? Are you proposing the dude was radicalized by Facebook posts?
Quote by JustRooster
I wonder how many anti-DNC groups you're in on Facebook? Facebook groups are basically meaningless meme aggregators, not true political action committees.

While the shooting is very possibly politically related, citing Facebook groups is pretty weak.

Are you posting to me? I don't have a Facebook nor do I participate in any "anti" group for anything, that's a quick way to get on a list.

I didn't post it to troll, I think this shows real repercussions for media coverage and social media bullshit.
Basically this guy was agitated into doing by what he read in the news and social media IMO.

Take a look at your preferred news source and you will see the guy was political motivated, and a nut.
Quote by JustRooster
33db

How do you argue that excessive media and social media made this man kill a congressman? Are you proposing the dude was radicalized by Facebook posts?

In a sense, if someone has a predisposition, or is angry about something specific, immersing themselves in groups and discussions that reinforce his point of view will only agitate him further.

I believe Dylan Roof is also a nut that was agitated by news media and the web sites he chose to frequent.
Last edited by 33db at Jun 14, 2017,
Quote by JustRooster
How do you argue that excessive media and social media made this man kill a congressman?  Are you proposing the dude was radicalized by Facebook posts?

I'm all for blaming facebook for a lot of things, so I'd say yes.

It's facebooks fault I poured cereal out this morning only to find out I had no milk.
Last edited by stratkat at Jun 14, 2017,
Quote by 33db
In a sense, if someone has a predisposition, or is angry about something specific, immersing themselves in groups and discussions that reinforce his point of view will only agitate him further.

Agreed

This is how young Muslims are radicalised inside the west btw

And how young white guys join the edl
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Jun 14, 2017,
Quote by Bladez22
Agreed

This is how young Muslims are radicalised inside the west btw

Are you being sarcastic? If not pardon my defensiveness as they are changing my thread titles and I'm all butthurt.
Quote by 33db
I think this shows real repercussions for media coverage and social media bullshit.

All this shows is the real repercussions of playing baseball in an area that harbors killers with access to weapons.
Quote by 33db
Basically this guy was agitated into doing by what he read in the news and social media IMO.

You're seriously absolving him of all personal responsibility for his actions? It wasn't his mind-in-an-active-shell that did this, it was his exposure to strings of words and sounds emitted by nearby devices that caused this.
Last edited by Zaphikh at Jun 15, 2017,
Quote by WaterGod
The guy had a sign protesting wealth inequality. Pretty sure he's a commie terrorist.
There actually was a great wave of communism inspired terrorism through the late 60s even into the early 80s across Europe, parts of South America, and even in North America to a small extent.

Not that that's relevant, I just wanted to bring it up

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by 33db
Are you being sarcastic? If not pardon my defensiveness as they are changing my thread titles and I'm all butthurt.

I'm not being sarcastic, I think you have a very valid point there. Feeding an already angry person a constant stream of negativity will only fuel their hate and anger more, and social media allows us to beam that straight into our brains at an unprecedented rate

Zaphikh

Looking into why this happened and how it can be prevented doesn't absolve the person from his crimes. It's not "oh he was brainwashed by Facebook, therefore it's not his fault", it's "okay this violent and terrible thing happened, let's look into what caused it so we can try and prevent it in the future"
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Last edited by Bladez22 at Jun 14, 2017,
33db

I get your point but I find it to be far fetched. I think the man was predisposed to be violent and he used his communication inputs for his own purposes, in the same way of which we are all guilty.

In the same way liberals blamed trump for the violence against latinos after his election, conservatives are ready to blame liberals for this. Different sides of the same coin. Lunatics and murderers all have political affiliations and it's pretty unfair to project their traits onto the whole. They're irrational people performing irrational acts, so you can't rationally apply them to rational people.

There's a tea partier for every jezebel consumer. Batshit people do batshit things. I don't think there's a need to use those events as another partisan splitting point.
Quote by Bladez22
I'm not being sarcastic, I think you have a very valid point there. Feeding an already angry person a constant stream of negativity will only fuel their hate and anger more, and social media allows us to beam that straight into our brains at an unprecedented rate
Devils advocate here, but doesn't this also reduce isolation, in a sense, which is considered a strong predator of all manner of anti-social behavior and malaise? Maybe there's many more madmen who are diffused in a way by bitching about things with other curmudgeons?

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by Bladez22

That's what I see going on, and the less rational types become prone to violence.
You see it in the protest, I am seriously concerned someone is going to go ape shit at a protest with a gun or bomb.
Quote by seanlang01
Devils advocate here, but doesn't this also reduce isolation, in a sense, which is considered a strong predator of all manner of anti-social behavior and malaise? Maybe there's many more madmen who are diffused in a way by bitching about things with other curmudgeons?

Maybe, that's a valid point, none the less someone inherently unstable well see it as validation and a call to action.
Quote by seanlang01

It can reduce isolation, which is a massive factor. But if you're reducing that isolation by surrounding yourself with other anti-social and violent people then you'll still end up in the same place

i could start another tangent about how anger manifests itself and how feeding into it only fans the emotional flame, making you more angry when you let off steam. But I digress
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22

Zaphikh

Looking into why this happened and how it can be prevented doesn't absolve the person from his crimes. It's not "oh he was brainwashed by Facebook, therefore it's not his fault", it's "okay this violent and terrible thing happened, let's look into what caused it so we can try and prevent it in the future"

I'm almost 100% certain that possession of a firearm caused this event. Any loon can make themselves furious by choosing (key word here) to read things that agitate them, but if they don't have a gun around, it makes attacks much harder to pull off. Doesn't make attacks impossible, it just makes them so unlikely to cause change that the entire effort is seen as a wash by the loon.
Quote by 33db
Maybe, that's a valid point, none the less someone inherently unstable well see it as validation and a call to action.

Completely agreed. However, I don't think the responsibility can fall on the media outlets. In the case of this guy, he specifically sought fringe media and groups. Our major news networks would never condone violence. People who want to be confirmed will seek out and find their confirming media.
i dunno, i just feel sorry for H4T3BR33D3R for being in your sig
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Zaphikh
I'm almost 100% certain that possession of a firearm caused this event. Any loon can make themselves furious by choosing (key word here) to read things that agitate them, but if they don't have a gun around, it makes attacks much harder to pull off. Doesn't make attacks impossible, it just makes them so unlikely to cause change that the entire effort is seen as a wash by the loon.

I agree, but if he didn't have access to a gun he would've found another means to harm people who he saw as the enemy. I don't mean that to belittle your point as I do agree with it and think it's maddening how easy it is to get a gun in America. But I don't think that owning a gun was the only cause here
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Zaphikh
I'm almost 100% certain that possession of a firearm caused  this event. Any loon can make themselves furious by choosing (key word here) to read things that agitate them, but if they don't have a gun around, it makes attacks much harder to pull off. Doesn't make attacks impossible, it just makes them so unlikely to cause change that the entire effort is seen as a wash by the loon.

Uh huh so an inanimate object "caused" this to happen.

And I'm the "melt".
Quote by k.lainad
i dunno, i just feel sorry for H4T3BR33D3R for being in your sig

And what level of mod can change peoples thread titles?
Quote by 33db

Every user except you can change thread titles, Losey McLoserson.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Every user except you can change thread titles, Losey McLoserson.

Of course they can change their own, but not others, that would be madness.
Quote by 33db
Of course they can change their own, but not others, that would be madness.

No, I mean we can all change any thread title, except you, because you were selected to be an oppressed minority.

Now, kindly step into this sinister looking building that claims to be a shower block.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by 33db
Uh huh so an inanimate object "caused" this to happen.

An inanimate gun would have posed no threat at all, guaranteed. The gun in this case contained all the mechanisms to become fully animated.
Quote by 33db
I'm the "melt".

That's a good lad. Now you're gettin' it.
Everyone seems pissy did they boost the cell phone towers in your areas?
Quote by 33db
Everyone seems pissy did they boost the cell phone towers in your areas?

I'd be fucking delighted if they did that tbh.
Quote by Diemon Dave
You see now Liberals the deaths your vitriolic rhetoric cause? You should be ashamed.
I blame the thesaurus.
Quote by 33db

I'll put out an AMB (all mods bulletin) to get to the bottom of this, sit tight.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by WaterGod
You see now Liberals the deaths your vitriolic rhetoric cause? You should be ashamed.

A British mp was murdered by a far right lunatic. One loon doesn't come mean that the entirety of the left are loons

Just like I'm sure not every republican is as pants on head stupid as trump
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Probably a sleeper cell agent from MK ULTRA-like projects activated by the c*a to get "common sense" g*n control legislation passed. The head of the c*a til January this year openly admitted to voting communist (and is possibly a muslim, though unconfirmed by the arbiters of truth: snopes), and he probably still has some of his boys in there. Though this isn't the worst thing they have done if it was them... hopefully the new head won't be as bad, and will be able to drain the systemic corruption and bad practices.
Page 1 of 5