Page 1 of 2
I know the debate, but I'm looking for a slight overdrive that I can leave on all the time for a little breakup (can't push my amp, and don't really want a Timmy).  I was thinking more on the side of a Caroline Guitar Company Haymaker in the low gain A position, a Fulltone Fulldrive 2, or an Electro-Harmonix Soulfood. Any other opinions would highly be appreciated! Also I already own a JHS Moonshine that I use for high gain stuff, as it fits perfectly for me, so I'd be stacking that on top of the other overdrive.
Quote by monwobobbo
if you want transparent then i'd consider a clean boost

I don't want it THAT transparent, I want it to be more close to something like a Tube Screamer, Klon, Voyager
Quote by Nerdbiscuit
I don't want it THAT transparent, I want it to be more close to something like a Tube Screamer, Klon, Voyager

well those aren't transparent as they change your tone which is why i mentioned them. 
Quote by monwobobbo
well those aren't transparent as they change your tone which is why i mentioned them. 

Which is also why I put transparent in quotations
so you want transparent, but not too transparent, and you want something like a tube screamer, but not a tube screamer.  

Yup, you've spent too much time on the forums 

but for real, sometimes you just need to go with the OG on the block.  Don't discount a simple Boss.
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Why don't you want a timmy?
What amp do you have? A boost into a tube amp can be used to push the amps input stage, giving you more drive, don't discount one.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
Why don't you want a timmy?
What amp do you have? A boost into a tube amp can be used to push the amps input stage, giving you more drive, don't discount one.

I don't want a Timmy partially because of my budget, partially because I don't like it as much as the others listed. I'm using a Fender Princeton, and I'm not closed off to one, sorry if it seemed that way, but yeah any suggestions?
Quote by Badluckpalms
so you want transparent, but not too transparent, and you want something like a tube screamer, but not a tube screamer.  

Yup, you've spent too much time on the forums 

but for real, sometimes you just need to go with the OG on the block.  Don't discount a simple Boss.

I'm guessing probably the BD-2 or the SD-1? I don't have much experience with them, sorry, I've been surrounded by tone snobs with Klons and Strymons haha.
You cite your budget as a concern: what is it?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You cite your budget as a concern: what is it?

Looking for $100 or lower, I could stretch it, I'd just have to wait a little bit longer.
I have a BD-2. It is good for a cleanish boost, and isn't middy. I've seen it suggested as a boost for other OD pedals. My personal choice would be a Bad Monkey, (which I also have), as it isn't gritty, and has good tone controls. The SD-1 is another I have, and I would recommend it as a boost - te asymmetric clipping sounds great, but it is very gritty, and not very clean even at low settings. The Bad Monkey and SD-1 make a good complimentary pair, one is smooth the other rough.
Quote by Tony Done
I have a BD-2. It is good for a cleanish boost, and isn't middy. I've seen it suggested as a boost for other OD pedals. My personal choice would be a Bad Monkey, (which I also have), as it isn't gritty, and has good tone controls. The SD-1 is another I have, and I would recommend it as a boost - te asymmetric clipping sounds great, but it is very gritty, and not very clean even at low settings. The Bad Monkey and SD-1 make a good complimentary pair, one is smooth the other rough.

BD-2 sounds great for me
Quote by Nerdbiscuit
I know the debate, but I'm looking for a slight overdrive that I can leave on all the time for a little breakup (can't push my amp, and don't really want a Timmy).  I was thinking more on the side of a Caroline Guitar Company Haymaker in the low gain A position, a Fulltone Fulldrive 2, or an Electro-Harmonix Soulfood. Any other opinions would highly be appreciated! Also I already own a JHS Moonshine that I use for high gain stuff, as it fits perfectly for me, so I'd be stacking that on top of the other overdrive.

http://www.rimrockeffects.com/store/p1/Mythical_Overdrive.html
Quote by diabolical
Voodoolab Sparkle Drive - mine's on all the time. Should be just the thing you need.

Thanks for the suggestion it looks really cool!
If you want to hear it, it is the second guitar (playing long chords) at the beginning:

It's part of my desert island gear

Another one that might work for you is Thinman OD:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/ThinmanOD/thinmanod.htm

It is a strange one but it thickens and adds a little amount of hair. Very interesting pedal...feels like comp/limiter and light overdrive.
Quote by diabolical
If you want to hear it, it is the second guitar (playing long chords) at the beginning:

It's part of my desert island gear

Another one that might work for you is Thinman OD:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/ThinmanOD/thinmanod.htm

It is a strange one but it thickens and adds a little amount of hair. Very interesting pedal...feels like comp/limiter and light overdrive.

Yeah that sounds great, and for the price I could probably get 2 ODs
A boost might be perfect in front of a princeton - those thinks sound nice pushed, and given their low wattage, break up pretty quick. Thus a clean boost probably won't be as clean as you'd think. Consider things like mxr microamp, xotic ep booster, tc spark boost, I'm sure there are many more that aren't too pricey.
For more of a standalone drive:
xotic ac booster, voodoo labs sparkle driive, boss bd 2, boss sd, ehx soul food, digitech. There are heaps and heaps of options.

I thought fulltones were more pricey than timmys, but I'm not American, so maybe I'm wrong.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Jun 14, 2017,
Plan B is possibly a Fulltone OCD for about $100.  I use it for worship often just to put a little "hair" on an otherwise clean amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Nerdbiscuit EHX Soul Food or (Wampler Tumnus if you want a more accurate Klone). The Soul Food sounds great to my ears you might also want to check out the EHX Crayon it's a nice OD.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.
TC Electronic Spark Booster, Mojo Mojo OD, Digitech Screamin Blues OD/Distortion.. DOD Boneshaker
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
I have an EHX Soul Food  for my worship setup and it is my always on pedal, love it, gives just the right amount of hair and life to my clean tone that I want, I would highly recommend, also it has a buffer built in that can be switched on or off, if you need one in your signal path.
digitech screamin blues is basically a bd2 with a bass control- worth considering if you can find one as it'll save you even more money.

or a digitech hardware tube overdrive (cm2) is pretty nice, it can more or less do the ts thing while being a lot more versatile too and able to do the more transparent thing. actually if you're on a budget and can only get the one pedal that's probably what i'd get- again, if you can find one, because it's been discontinued for a little while.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For the most often suggested transparent OD for P&W, I see the JHS Morning Glory. It is still not transparent in the sense that there is no EQ applied on the signal, but rather it is much more subtle than a competitor circuit. Next up would be Klones, often cited for enhancing the sparkle of your amp. EHX Soul Food is the first example, but if you have the extra $ look into the Chellee Ponyboy. On the "not transparent at all but still magic" end of things are the TS9 and SD-1 circuits. My Fulldrive 2 is wizardry with the AC30.

TBH I think the P&W transparent OD pursuit is a little misguided. Sure, I get the "more amp" idea but the guitar is mixed as a midrange instrument. To me some of the typical P&W amps (many VOX and Fender circuits) will not output a significant amount of midrange when set spanky clean. If your amp is not outputting a proper amount of midrange in the first place, your transparent OD will not help you much- adding a ~transparent OD on top of a glassy amp often means you are going to emphasize the bass and treble, not focusing on the midrange, so you are going to end up with a shrill tone which is not very usable by your FOH engineer. Instead, adding a midrange emphasis helps you sit in a mix better.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 15, 2017,
the morning glory's just a glorified bluesbreaker, right? mooer does a much cheaper clone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Will Lane
For the most often suggested transparent OD for P&W, I see the JHS Morning Glory. It is still not transparent in the sense that there is no EQ applied on the signal, but rather it is much more subtle than a competitor circuit. Next up would be Klones, often cited for enhancing the sparkle of your amp. EHX Soul Food is the first example, but if you have the extra $ look into the Chellee Ponyboy. On the "not transparent at all but still magic" end of things are the TS9 and SD-1 circuits. My Fulldrive 2 is wizardry with the AC30.

TBH I think the P&W transparent OD pursuit is a little misguided. Sure, I get the "more amp" idea but the guitar is mixed as a midrange instrument. To me some of the typical P&W amps (many VOX and Fender circuits) will not output a significant amount of midrange when set spanky clean. If your amp is not outputting a proper amount of midrange in the first place, your transparent OD will not help you much- adding a ~transparent OD on top of a glassy amp often means you are going to emphasize the bass and treble, not focusing on the midrange, so you are going to end up with a shrill tone which is not very usable by your FOH engineer. Instead, adding a midrange emphasis helps you sit in a mix better.

Yeah I'm thinking about a fulldrive 2 on the compcut
I'd have to second the EHX SF. It's a cheaper pedal but it seems right up your alley TS. I have mine modded and it's a killer pedal.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'd have to second the EHX SF. It's a cheaper pedal but it seems right up your alley TS. I have mine modded and it's a killer pedal.

Honestly I might get the Soul Food as well as another OD, because it's so cheap
Quote by Nerdbiscuit
Honestly I might get the Soul Food as well as another OD, because it's so cheap

Honestly its a really nice pedal for the price and it's very transparent but still gives a bit of an extra kick to your tone. I use it a lot and it was a mainstay on my board for a bit (even replaced a few more expensive pedals for a bit). I have it modded right now for a bit more gain and a bit more bass and it's pretty killer.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Honestly its a really nice pedal for the price and it's very transparent but still gives a bit of an extra kick to your tone. I use it a lot and it was a mainstay on my board for a bit (even replaced a few more expensive pedals for a bit). I have it modded right now for a bit more gain and a bit more bass and it's pretty killer.

Do you have any suggestions for another pedal to pair with it?
Quote by Nerdbiscuit
Do you have any suggestions for another pedal to pair with it?

Honestly it really depends on the tones you're after cause a lot of pedals can pair with it.

Personally I liked to boost my Zvex Distortron with it. It really helped making lead breaks and single line stuff pop out. I also would cascade it into a TS style pedal for a nice lower gain rock tones as well if I didn't have the Zvex with me.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Honestly it really depends on the tones you're after cause a lot of pedals can pair with it.

Personally I liked to boost my Zvex Distortron with it. It really helped making lead breaks and single line stuff pop out. I also would cascade it into a TS style pedal for a nice lower gain rock tones as well if I didn't have the Zvex with me.

Yeah my Moonshine should work with that, maybe I'll get the Dark Matter Distortion or something
A Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde V2 OD/Dist dual pedal might pair nicely with the SF. The OD side is based on the TS.

BONUS: Soul Food + Jekyll & Hyde on a P& W pedalboard seems just a tad...wrong.*

* Not as wrong as a smallsound/bigsound Fuck Overdrive pedal, though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
maybe a tad different, but since it hasn't been suggested, maybe a compressor? not necessarily transparent but it can on occasion get a good result for what you are doing.

I like hermida audio zendrives.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Tc electronic hypergravity compressor works nicely adds sustain and EQ sound. MRX 10-band EQ can help boost and shape your sound.. another gem is DOD Looking Glass with collaborative work by Shoe Pedal designer Christopher Venter.. doesn't help the level of playing thou.. I need to get a talent and shred booster pedal..
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Jun 16, 2017,
Page 1 of 2