I've been looking for an upgrade for my Mexican Strat stock pickups... Like the way my Strat sound but for the music I'm playing, I feel that I could get better using other pickups

I was considering Fender CS 69 pickups paired with an SSL-5 bridge pickup (Gilmour influenced here).

What are you guys thoughts and opinions and what are your favourite Single Coil Pickups for Strats
Fender Standard Stratocaster MIM 2011 with David Gilmour Neck Pickup Switch Mod

Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro 2015 with Peter Green Mod

1999 Japanese Epiphone Les Paul Standard LP-80 with Peter Green Mod
well it really depends on what you want. for starters giving us an idea of what music you are looking to cover would help. with Gilmour it depends on what era you are referring to as he has gone through a few pickups. stock pups in MIMs are ceramic which tend to be a little hotter than older strat pickups. if you are looking for the vintage strat chime than alnico pickups are what you want. there are tons of them though so a better idea of what you are after would help. 
I like the stock Fat 50's my AmSt came with. Lots out there these days to choose from depending on goals. Gilmour's CS-Strat has SSL-5 bridge, Custom wound middle and a Fat 50's neck. The SSL-5 is a good beefed up bridge pup (imo). Duncans SSL-1's are a nice all around vintage vibed set, guys Frusciante use them. I guess it's all up to how far away you want to get from the classic alnico strat tone.
Quote by noobyXD
Like the way my Strat sound but for the music I'm playing, I feel that I could get better using other pickups

Changing pickups won't make you better.
When you get to the point where you make crappy pickups sound *good*, it's a different story.
dspellman The pickups have serve me very well for the past few years I owned them. But the sound I'm going for; something more chimer and a warmer sound, would fit better changing pickups. Come on... Who doesn't know changing pickup won't make you a better player LOL.

monwobobbo For my strat I'm aiming for the On An Island tour -esk sound... Really love the fatness just oozing out from the strat. The stock pups sounds good for strat but if i'm aiming for the fatness sound, it makes more sense to change the stock pickups.

I have to ask - through what amp?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by monwobobbo
noobyXDnot a clue what you are talking about. Would that be a 3 hour tour?

I'm thinking this:
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
look into this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-pre-amp-mid-boost-kit-25-db

i decided to try it on my strat before i swapped pickups, and i am glad i did. really woke it up, and gave me a ton of options. overall simple install, and $60 is cheaper than ONE pickup.

my signature has a link about it on my blog if you are interested.

if you don't get the preamp, i would FOR SURE get a TBX thingy. they are pretty cool.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
monwobobbo something like these [url="(Invalid video video code)]
[url="(Invalid video video code)]

For Echoes it'll be the 1st solo after the verses and the ending jam

trashedlostfdup The 'Eric Clapton' mid boost thing. From what I've heard, if i don't get noiseless pickup for those, it could get quite noisy especially if you drive it.

metalmingee Orange Crush 20 though I'm looking to upgrade to a Bassbreaker 15

I have a Strat with a set of Andersen M-Series pickups. It has a bit more of a midrange quality, and can definitely do the Gilmour sound. However reviled due to their noiselessness, though, I find the Fishman Fluence pickups in one of my other Strats can span the widest variety of tones. They have a treble boost option that I wired to a switch, instead of choosing permanently one way or the other. Very nice and versatile pickups.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Vulcan

Nice to hear about someone's personal,experiences with the Fluence pickups. More to tell?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Vulcan

Nice to hear about someone's personal,experiences with the Fluence pickups.  More to tell?  

Well, not much to say except I really like them. I have tried Kinman and Lace, and neither nailed the Hendrix clean tone and various others quite like the Fishmans.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Vulcan Would like to try out those pickups but sadly in the country I lived, the guitar stores here mostly stock Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Fender and Gibson. To a certain extend shur, EMGs and Bareknuckle... Getting pickups online can get quite expensive so yea...

Well, think of it as an investment in your tone. I've never bought pickups in a store, only online: the ones I've wanted were never available locally, and I live in a big American city.

Lose the Crush and find your tone.  New PUs won't take you where you want to go but the right amp will.  The right amp will likely affect your tone 30%.  The right PUs might affect your tone 3%.  Time to refocus your search.

Bassbreaker
AC15
Supersonic
Super Champ
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 18, 2017,