Much as I love crossover bands like Nuclear Assault and MOD, they have a certain American flavour to them that gets a bit too much (cringy and samey) if you listen to them for too long, which prohibits them from being anything more than a rarity on my playlist.

The crossover that I really have a soft spot for is foreign. My love for 80s Japanese punk bands who regularly jump both feet into metal territory is well-known - here is my (somewhat abortive) thread for them: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1698461

The band I want to talk about today is Broken Bones, and specifically their album Losing Control (this isn't to say their other albums aren't worth listening to). A perfect meeting of the ferocity of UK punk (see: Discharge, Varukers, etc) with the balls-to-the-wall riffage and face-melting leads of thrash; Losing Control is a hyperenergetic swaggering badass of an album without even a moment of let-up or weakness. This is easily one of Britain's best offerings in thrash metal.

Unfortunately it isn't on YouTube as a full album, but they do have a few songs to help you get a feel for it. It's definitely worth tracking down the album and I can help you out there if you have trouble getting a digital copy.

Jump

Nowhere to Run

Losing Control

The Trader in Death EP was released in 1987, two years before Losing Control, and is stylistically quite similar though not quite as matured.

O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Last edited by MHDrunk at Jun 15, 2017,
MHDank

These riffs are catchy as hell. Definitely hear a lot of Discharge and Varukers style stuff in here.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Really love this shit. It's so alive with energy and creative playing without resorting to wankery. Some GISM shit, some almost Maiden-esque leads driven by a vehicular manslaughter of punk fueled by Plasmatics and Discharge.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I've been binge listening to Broken Bones all weekend.

The earlier stuff is much more UK82-type punk, but a cut above their peers (with better riffs, leads, etc)

Side B of the album "FOAD" is live, and it's great. This one's on youtube in playlist form, very good quality for an 80s live recording of a punk band. Lots of energy

;index=17&list=PL99eSA8jQwg4TvrNRwYYTE43x_J-zj-BI

;index=16&list=PL99eSA8jQwg4TvrNRwYYTE43x_J-zj-BI

And since it came up while I was searching, here's Benediction covering one of their songs

O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to