The question might sound stupid, but I've sometimes trouble determining the genre of songs or demos I've written. Usually, it's pretty easy to say "rock" or "metal", or to be a bit more specific - like "nu metal", "emo", "hard rock", and so on. Sometimes though, when I've taken characteristics from two genres, I find it hard to say "it's this or that genre". So what do I do, or what do you people do in such a situation?

The situation that has prompted me to post this in the first place is that right now I have a song that has
  • more metal-ish lead, with moments when the lead guitar "enhances" the rhythm guitar's major or power chords so they form a more complex chord (lead adding minor and major 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7ths as well as octaves)
  • distortion that it hard rock or blues rock, with lots of mids and little gain
  • punk-like constant 8ths root notes bass line
  • more blues-ish approach to music theory, for example rhythm plays a major chord and lead plays over the minor scale or even the minor 3rd at the same time
  • hip-hop inspired drumming like nu metal

and I've no idea what to make of this. Technique-wise and theory-wise, it borrows from blues and different kinds of metal, but the melody and bass is more like rock or punk.... I'm really at a loss here, and it's not the first time I'm in such a situation.
Any tips would be much appreciated.
"Metal that borrows from blues and punk" describes a huge majority of the whole metal genre. It doesn't sound like there's anything too weird happening here, I mean the genre is metal Might be bordering on thrash or stoner metal with those influences, or nu-metal as you said. But in any case, that's a very standard description of the metal genre, the only odd thing here is the hip-hop inspired drumming but even that is expected in genres like nu metal. I would just call it metal.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Does it matter? You shouldn't worry about placing your songs in any genre. Just write them, record them and play them to people. Your songs will find the right audience and if they don't fit into any particular genre, good for you. Hopefully you are on to something totally original and unique.  
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by HashtagMC
Hip-hop drumming plus rock tone and chord progression is what's giving me a headache here. Lots of things borrow from blues, I know

I'd argue that there isn't much of a difference between rock and metal tone. Distorted electric guitar, that's it. There are nuances, of course, but at the end of the day it's still distorted electric guitars. Hip-hop drumming would mean nu-metal I guess, and I don't see anything weird in your chord progressions.

But I agree with Rick, your audience will probably decide your genre for you.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Post-Post Metal
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by Kevätuhri
your audience will probably decide your genre for you.

yeah i'd focus on finding an audience before you worry about semantics
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Kevätuhri
I'd argue that there isn't much of a difference between rock and metal tone.

There are many differences such as the color, name, and graphics of the distortion pedal. Rock distortion is usually orange and metal distortion is usually black. And the metal distortion pedal will probably have "metal" in the name (Metal Zone, Heavy Metal, Hyper Metal, Death Metal, Metal Muff, etc). And metal distortion pedals will usually have graphics with skulls and blood and pentagrams. So they are obviously very different and you can't use one type for the other genre because that would be too confusing.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Badluckpalms
Post-Post Metal

Deaf-as-a-post Metal?
Quote by Kevätuhri
I'd argue that there isn't much of a difference between rock and metal tone. Distorted electric guitar, that's it. There are nuances, of course, but at the end of the day it's still distorted electric guitars. Hip-hop drumming would mean nu-metal I guess, and I don't see anything weird in your chord progressions.

I pretty much use three "settings" on my pedal, which would be gain about three quarters up, mids on default (half), and a bit more treble; and one with little gain, a bit less treble, about third less bass and lots of mids. First one is the "metal" setting, second is for "rock". (oh, and the third setting, which consists of gain fully up, mids at 20% or, which is the "this is not how you sound heavy"-setting).

And they sound different. Think of early Green Day sound, and compare that to Bullet for my Valentine, you can't argue there isn't much difference.
If you want to know the genre of your song, it would help if we could listen to it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
If you want to know the genre of your song, it would help if we could listen to it.

I created a soundcloud account the other day, right now, I'm about to re-record the two guitar tracks I did yesterday, then, I'll upload it and post a link here.
the first riff doesn't fit at all, it's basically southern classic rock while the rest of the song is straight up mid-2000s alt rock (franz ferdinand and foo fighters come to mind)
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by HashtagMC
And they sound different. Think of early Green Day sound, and compare that to Bullet for my Valentine, you can't argue there isn't much difference.

That doesn't really mean anything. Compare the guitar tones of the Kinks, Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, and Creed. All rock, but very different tones. Now try listening to Black Sabbath, early Iron Maiden, early Metallica, early Suffocation, early Mayhem, and Sleep. All metal, but very different tones. Plenty of guitarists in both genres play Mesa Recs and Mark series, Marshall JCMs, Oranges, Carvins, ENGLs, Bogners, Peaveys, etc. Same brands and same models. The secret of Swedish death metal guitar tone, the HM-2, was also the go-to pedal for My Bloody Valentine. Simply put, the amount of difference in guitar tone in bands in different genres varies considerably and there is definitely overlap.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I would just call that hard rock with some punk influences.

As said above, the guitar tone doesn't matter - that doesn't really change the genre of your songs. It sounds like a pretty basic hard rock tone to me.

I didn't hear any blues, at least not in this particular track.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Hail
the first riff doesn't fit at all, it's basically southern classic rock while the rest of the song is straight up mid-2000s alt rock (franz ferdinand and foo fighters come to mind)

I think the riff would fit better if he revisited it every once in awhile. 
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Hail

I've been told that a few times now, I think I'll change that part. Either I'll add something more similar to the rest of the lead, or I'll repeat it a few times throughout the song.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
I think the riff would fit better if he revisited it every once in awhile. 

↑ the above
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I would just call that hard rock with some punk influences.

As said above, the guitar tone doesn't matter - that doesn't really change the genre of your songs. It sounds like a pretty basic hard rock tone to me.

I didn't hear any blues, at least not in this particular track.

What I meant with blues influences was mostly using blues scales, like having the rhythm guitar play A major while at the same time going through the A minor scale with the lead, or adding an F note, which is the minor 6th, into the A major. It doesn't sound anything like blues, I agree (and I never intended it to sound like blues), but I've tried to take some tricks from the blues' toolbox. Should've made that more clear.
Quote by HashtagMC
It doesn't sound anything like blues, I agree (and I never intended it to sound like blues), but I've tried to take some tricks from the blues' toolbox. Should've made that more clear.

nobody hears what scales you use

nobody cares what scales you use
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
HashtagMC Just gave it a few listens. I think they're very very solid tracks. 

As a casual listener, I'd call it alternate rock. Like a heavier Offspring
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm