Poll: how important is on-board spring reverb?
Poll Options
View poll results: how important is on-board spring reverb?
i need my spring reverb
3 7%
i like it and its important when amp shopping
5 12%
take it or leave it
22 52%
i would just rather use a pedal
8 19%
fuck on-board spring reverb
4 10%
Voters: 42.
Page 1 of 2
the reverb is out on my rockerverb. has been since i got it, but i was compensated for the difference.

i have a bunch of other amps with built in spring reverb and i like it, but.... would i be better spending my money on a good reverb pedal? i like reverb from pedals too (ironicall\y i own at least 40 pedals and none are reverb),but what would you do?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Meh. I never use the built-in spring reverb on my amps. Pedals give you way more options and control.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
the rocker verb reverb is really good tho.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
the rocker verb reverb is really good tho.

i know

what would you recommend for the tank? acoutronics? how do i know which one?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I really dont use reverb much so it doesn't matter to me.

You should be able to find out what tank is stock for your amp and just get that.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i know

what would you recommend for the tank? acoutronics? how do i know which one?

you'll have to pull the tank that's in there or look up the manual. there's like eleventity different tanks. no way to know for sure.

It seems like to me that spring reverb on an amp will only be good if it is a major selling point. Like the RockerVERB, Deluxe REVERB, etc. What I look for in selling points is an excellent breakup sound, so I guess reverb is an extra. Not a deal breaker. Further, your typical on-board reverb will be heard in mono, which is okay depending upon the amp, but a stereo mix would be much more useful for a professional rig- and most amps do not utilize stereo imaging. And I guess I would rather not pay the extra $ for reverb that I would not really use when you have to use a pedal and a second amp to get a "proper" reverb.

Although whenever I play direct into the amp, it is nice to have a little bit of air to fill in space. I don't know. I am conflicted. I voted "take it or leave it".
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 17, 2017,
Take it or leave it for me. I don't use reverb much anyway and I'm not too picky about it being spring or digital or anything else.

Having an FX loop is more important to me than having on board effects.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Carvin replaced the springs with electronics in a lot of their amps, and the consensus is that it actually sounds better.
I'd miss that crash and bang of the springs when you shake the amp a bit at full volume with the reverb turned up, but other than that, it's absolutely no factor in buying an amp.
It wouldn't factor in should I ever find myself buying another amp, but I like running an all-analogue rig with my Twin so it's nice to have there (where it, of course, sounds great).
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
not all reverb circuits are created equal. a crappy whatever circuit isn't going to sound better then a pedal but the best tank circuits are still awesome.

take it or leave it... i like a good-sounding real spring reverb, but i wouldn't avoid an otherwise awesome amp just because it didn't have it, and i wouldn't buy a crap amp just because it had reverb.

my reverb died on my engl ages ago, and i was annoyed, but i haven't got round to getting it fixed either

also some genius decided not to make the reverb on my genz benz black pearl footswitchable, so it's basically useless.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
also some genius decided not to make the reverb on my genz benz black pearl footswitchable, so it's basically useless.
I mean, why would you need a footswitch? Once it's on, you're sorted
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
trashedlostfdup, I had the older Rockerverb 50 a while back and when I got it, the reverb wasn't working either. My research revealed this was pretty common with the 6V6 50W model but fortunately, is quite an easy fix.

There are 2 wires (Green and Red) that could've snapped, very easy to fix. Mine had the springs disconnected, probably from a drop, and it was an easy fix. The 3rd potential issue is the reverb driver. You can use a 12AT7 which is similar to the FX loop right next to it.

The "problem" got sorted out with the MK II. Mine is now the 100W version.

If the tank needs to be replaced, check out http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/ which is pretty popular with the Orange and TGP forums.
Ippon thanks i will pull it apart some day. i have a few things to fix first.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the reverb is out on my rockerverb. has been since i got it, but i was compensated for the difference.

i have a bunch of other amps with built in spring reverb and i like it, but.... would i be better spending my money on a good reverb pedal? i like reverb from pedals too (ironicall\y i own at least 40 pedals and none are reverb),but what would you do?

Does it have an efx loop? Get a quality reverb pedal for it then
I still play Ventures, Surfaris and Dick Dale so a good quality reverb is mandatory.  I prefer a classic spring but have used pedals and onboard DSPs to good effect.  If it sounds good to you, it is good.

As Ippon said the spring units are all pretty simple and easy to fix.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The nice thing about a pedal is you get variety, a quality pedal will do a spring reverb just fine, and you get room, hall, etc too.
Well somehow all of my amps have had reverb built in. At this point future amps will have good reverb as well most likely. Good is the key and I'm pretty spoiled now with springs in my Mesa Roadster taken from the Lonestar and Digital in my Laney IRT.

On the Mesa the reverb is assignable per channel and is independent of the FX loop so I can have reverb with the loop on or off. With a pedal it would be the entire loop including the reverb on or off so the built in is more versatile in that regard.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I had a spring reverb in an old Fender Princeton, I don't get the attraction, what's the big deal with spring?
Quote by 33db
I had a spring reverb in an old Fender Princeton, I don't get the attraction, what's the big deal with spring?

If it's good. Then it will be good?

Quote by 33db
The nice thing about a pedal is you get variety, a quality pedal will do a spring reverb just fine, and you get room, hall, etc too.

For me, it's not variety that makes a pedal preferable over a built in reverb effect, it's that you can get a good reverb pedal and use it with any amp. 

I have a bit of a weird thing with reverb though - as far as creating a particular timbre or texture goes, mechanical sounding spring or plate reverb is a useful tool. but I find putting a natural sounding reverb effect on just the guitar makes it feel a bit displaced within the overall atmosphere of a mix - either use the natural reverb or don't, you know? and if the room really is sounding very dry and dead, with no natural reverberations at all, so artificial reverb is required to give it some ambiance, I prefer to keep it subtle. Because it's never going to be the same as a well captured natural reverb within the room.

So for me, Reverb is either a really unnatural, over the top effect used to give a particular 'flavour' to a sound, or it's a naturally occuring phenomenon and we should leave it alone, or try to capture it as best we can, depending on the desired results.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
For me, it's not variety that makes a pedal preferable over a built in reverb effect, it's that you can get a good reverb pedal and use it with any amp. 

I have a bit of a weird thing with reverb though - as far as creating a particular timbre or texture goes, mechanical sounding spring or plate reverb is a useful tool. but I find putting a natural sounding reverb effect on just the guitar makes it feel a bit displaced within the overall atmosphere of a mix - either use the natural reverb or don't, you know? and if the room really is sounding very dry and dead, with no natural reverberations at all, so artificial reverb is required to give it some ambiance, I prefer to keep it subtle. Because it's never going to be the same as a well captured natural reverb within the room.

So for me, Reverb is either a really unnatural, over the top effect used to give a particular 'flavour' to a sound, or it's a naturally occuring phenomenon and we should leave it alone, or try to capture it as best we can, depending on the desired results.

I know what you mean, I keep the mix knob on mine dialed down unless I want that big reverb sound.
I'm the same way with chorus too, I don't care for that swirly sound, I like it subtle.
Quote by 33db
I know what you mean, I keep the mix knob on mine dialed down unless I want that big reverb sound.
I'm the same way with chorus too, I don't care for that swirly sound, I like it subtle.

In some applications I can tolerate quite extreme swirly sounds with modulation effects, as long as you can't clearly pick out the rate of the oscillator when it's in the mix - that makes it sound too artifical and electronic to me. I also hate when the pitch bends enough that the modulated signal and the dry signal begin to separate.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I mean, why would you need a footswitch? Once it's on, you're sorted

it's not that great of a reverb (despite being valve-driven, lol)- I wouldn't want it on all the time. but on a footswitch it would be fine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've never had a real amp reverb, and for most of my playing I'm just fine with a pedal set fairly subtle. In my ambient board I have a TC T2 for enormous reverb, and I run a Dano Spring King into my Ampeg for surf or blues (with the mix either cranked all the way or around 9-10 o clock, respectively). That said, I've played some great spring units on a few amps, and the best reverb sound I think I've ever gotten was a real-deal blackface Twin Reverb. I voted "take or leave" because the lack of a spring verb hasn't been anything close to a dealbreaker on any amp I've gotten, and an amp with a good one isn't high on my priority list, but in a hypothetical future scenario where I've got enough spare cash to drop on a Twin or Deluxe and no more urgent GAS I'll buy one in a heartbeat.

(Of course I'm a teacher's aide who also works in a bookstore so that hypothetical future is pretty damn unlikely but hey I can dream can't I)
I think for me, ideally, every dime I'm paying goes into the amp doing just what an amp does, amplify.
So if there's a reverb (or multieffects) onboard then some of the money went to that instead of say, slightly better tubes, or other amp components.

Also, was anyone else a little surprised trashedlostfdup actually asked for some advice? He's usually giving it.
Last edited by 33db at Jun 18, 2017,
Quote by 33db

Also, was anyone else a little surprised trashedlostfdup actually asked for some advice? He's usually giving it.

lol. there are a lot of things i don't know, trust me
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
lol. there are a lot of things i don't know, trust me

Sure that's true of everyone, but you struck me as knowledgeable in past post, and now that you've stated you don't know a lot of stuff, even more so.
Ippon lolzzz
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I love reverb, but it is not a deal breaker. I use my M13 for all of my effects. I had a rocker verb for a while and it was a great amp but I did not buy it for the reverb. I wouldn't think an amp having or not having reverb would be the selling point. My 5153 does not have reverb and has a great fx loop so I am good to go.
On that point I think an fx loop and a good fx loop are far more important. 
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I love spring reverb. But unless it's footswitch controlled, it's a nuisance for me.  I've found that the RV-6 has excellent reverb and can produce a near identical true spring reverb sound.  It sounds like sh*t in front, but amazing in a loop.
Quote by reverb66
An amp without great reverb makes no sense to me.  It's such a crucial part, especially on clean tones. It really annoys me when an amp doesn't have it.

Why not just buy a reverb pedal then?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
love the reverb on my fender amps.  Marshall DLC 40 reverb is not too good.  5150 has no reverb so I use Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail with that one.  My other pedalboard has a TC Electronics Hall of Fame.  
T00DEEPBLUE    I consider the reverb and how it interacts with the amp to be a core part of my tone, so I seek out amps that have great reverb.  Pedals are good, but they can't beat a great tube driven spring for the tones I like, which are older type tones generally.  There are so many great amps out now, both with and without reverb,  that I don't really see the need to compromise on that point.  That being said, I use a Holy grail sometimes if I'm dealing with a backline amps at shows with sh*tty reverb, it sounds good and gets the job done. If I was into playing only heavier styles of music, high gain etc., then a spring reverb would not be crucial, however still play quite a bit of blues so it's crucial now. 
Maybe I've just never heard a decent real-spring reverb.  Both my 6505+ 112 and Classic 30 have real spring reverb tanks and they both sound like shit.  Actually, the 6505's doesn't sound that bad, it just doesn't do enough even with the knob maxed.  Just not enough decay to really do a whole lot.  The Classic 30's is just pure shit.  Not enough decay, and doesn't sound like actual reverb; more like a toy effect.  The "Spring" setting on my TC-Electronic Hall of Fame sounds FAR better than both.

I've played amps that had really good reverb units (Mesa Royal Atlantic) -- and while they sounded good, they were still certainly not better than a good digital unit like my HOF.  I do play a lot of ambient clean stuff though so I need a lot of decay time for volume swells and such.  I've never played an amp that had quite enough reverb decay to do that; regardless of the quality of the 'verb tone.
Page 1 of 2