Page 1 of 2
refer to this video if you need an explanation of what mlm is (its kinda long but it is entertaining and interesting):

at a basic level, mlm is a pyramid scheme. many of them claim that you "start your own business" by selling product that you get from the company. the problem with many mlm's is that YOU have to buy outright the product from a higher-tier employee, to in turn sell the product. and a lot of lower-tier employees get stuck with the product because it does not sell very well.

i am kinda concerned because a few friends are involved in a mlm company. one works for plexus and another, well, does not even list a product page on their posts of "do you want to be x? or do you want to look like y? i make money from my phone, message me if you are interested!"

do you know anybody involved in a mlm company? are you involved in one? have you seen any mlm products work at all? are any mlm companies being honest and not taking advantage of lower-tier employees?
Last edited by Will Lane at Jun 17, 2017,
this is nothing new?

i mean, you can make some money working for these kinds of things if you have no problem being about as dishonest as you can be.

i very briefly did a stint with Cutco and they kind of ride the line with this kind of business model.

their products are generally pretty good, but overpriced and their sales tactics involve pitching the product to potential buyers without revealing any pricing until you've gotten a soft commitment to buy.

as far as i know they started moving away from some of that buying in shit though. you used to have to purchase your demo/sample kit directly. now they just have you "borrow" it and you have the option to purchase it or just return it when you quit.

anyway, i tend to run into a lot of those guys who sell cheap knockoff cologne/perfumes out of backpacks in front of convenience stores.

i tend to humor them and listen to their little pitch just to hear for myself that they're working for one of these schemes.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
There's a reason why MLM isn't illegal. It's mutual consent between 2 parties on a set of clearly laid out conditions. Those who are being taken advantage of made a wrong decision that they're cut out to run their own business, and it's nobody else's fault if they fail or fall into debt. It's a microcosm of what would happen if you went into any business: a few rise to the top to reap most of the rewards, and the rest will toil and fail.

Personally, it's not worth my time. The amount of effort you have to put in, with success, nets very little profit compared to a genuine, truly standalone business.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jun 17, 2017,
Quote by Xiaoxi
There's a reason why MLM isn't illegal. It's mutual consent between 2 parties on a set of clearly laid out conditions. Those who are being taken advantage of made a wrong decision that they're cut out to run their own business, and it's nobody else's fault if they fail or fall into debt. It's a microcosm of what would happen if you went into any business: a few rise to the top to reap most of the rewards, and the rest will toil and fail.

Personally, it's not worth my time. The amount of effort you have to put in, with success, nets very little profit compared to a genuine, truly standalone business.

unsurprising post from someone who seemingly doesn't even believe in the term "business ethics"
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone stupid enough to buy into one tbh

My ex had a friend contact her out of the blue after not speaking to her for 4+ years, turns out all she wanted was to sell all this sport and excercise booster drink/food shite. Being heavily into weightlifting at the time i got dragged there too, after 2 minutes I realised it was a pyramid scheme and tried to nope out of there. Ex's "friend" was trying to guilt/blackmail me into buying some but I said I don't trust the product as it hadn't passed any of the eu food standards and I prefer to get my nutrition from natural sources rather than taking shitty powder supplements. Especially since she couldn't tell me what was even in them, like yeah I get it's got over 50 essential vitamins and minerals, and contains X amount of protein, but what kind of protein is it? Where did it come from? What is it actually made from?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Jun 17, 2017,
Quote by jakesmellspoo
unsurprising post from someone who seemingly doesn't even believe in the term "business ethics"
LOL what does ethics have to do with it?

What, these people getting "scammed" out of a few thousand dollars (at most)? There is virtually no business that can avoid the cost of capital. Regardless of the industry you're in, it will cost 10s-100s of thousands, minimum. Nobody cries foul when those businesses fail and the owners lose their shirts.

If anything, MLM, as a start-your-own-business-on-training-wheels kit, serves as a modest lesson for people who delude themselves into thinking they can run their own business. I can guarantee you they do not perform thorough due diligence on the deal, know their market, develop viable strategies, or put enough effort in. A few hundred dollar loss is a much less painful lesson than losing your entire house or falling into bankruptcy.

Try getting out of the victim mentality for once in your life.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
LOL what does ethics have to do with it?

What, these people getting "scammed" out of a few thousand dollars (at most)? There is virtually no business that can avoid the cost of capital. Regardless of the industry you're in, it will cost 10s-100s of thousands, minimum. Nobody cries foul when those businesses fail and the owners lose their shirts.

If anything, MLM, as a start-your-own-business-on-training-wheels kit, serves as a modest lesson for people who delude themselves into thinking they can run their own business. A few hundred dollar loss is a much less painful lesson than losing your entire house or falling into bankruptcy.

Try getting out of the victim mentality for once in your life.

what does ethics have to do with it?

try looking at things from the perspective of someone who has never even had "a few thousand dollars" to their name and is most likely uneducated, or is that too hard for you?

nice to see you're still as condescending as ever.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
what does ethics have to do with it?

try looking at things from the perspective of someone who has never even had "a few thousand dollars" to their name and is most likely uneducated, or is that too hard for you?

nice to see you're still as condescending as ever.
Dumb people and their money will always soon part. No amount of ethics can prevent that.

Years ago, I lost $1000 on a scammy penny options thing that I got talked into. It was an expensive lesson learned that served me to recover that loss many times over.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
The problem is that Xiaoxi has never actually had his ass physically torn apart by folks who don't care about the intricate details of financial fetishism. Since there is no physical threat towards his thought processes, they continue to compound and expand on the dopamine reward-system in his brain. A nurtured and trained cog. Well disciplined, very cultured, still a cog. His name hold no place in history, and he's well aware of that fact. He knows what he does, only because he knows how it will all end.
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
lmao be more butthurt please. It compounds and expands on the dopamine reward-system in my brain.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Not butthurt, dude. Just speaking frankly. The fact you responded so quickly just affirms how eager (scared) you are to defend your ego. Have you ever actually had your ass handed to you before though? In all seriousness. Not financially, I mean in the flesh.
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
lmao that's just too funny not to respond to. This is "if i kicked you you would fall down" territory. I wish your other post was shorter so I could sig it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Ah, the "I suffer no fools" card. The lamest excuse to avoid honest expansion of language (which offers more opportunities for profit).

The fact you see yourself as "falling down" after I "kicked" you is weak.

I hoped you had more wit than that. Then again, I also didn't expect it either.
Quote by Zaphikh
The fact you see yourself as "falling down" after I "kicked" you is weak.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/redirect/post?p=33606469

Bro, I know you got shafted with a bunch of Amway energy drinks that you can't sell, but don't always take life so seriously

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/redirect/post?p=33606469

Bro, I know you got shafted with a bunch of Amway energy drinks that you can't sell, but don't always take life so seriously

I miss yope. Dude was one of a kind.

Your "Amway energy drinks" reference is over my head, so I'm not entirely sure what cliquish angle you're aiming at here. I guess you're trying to pigeonhole me in a group of folks that got conned out of their money? Never engaged in those types of activities. I'm sure you had the intent to square me up, but it's a wash. In addition to my original question (that you keep dodging), I'd like to ask where in any of my posts have I taken life seriously at all (which I assume you will continue to dodge as well).
Quote by Xiaoxi
Dumb people and their money will always soon part. No amount of ethics can prevent that

This

I mean at what point does personal responsibility come into it? I'm as left wing as they come, but the left does my head in because nothing is ever their fault, there's no personal responsibility. Everyone's a victim of society

"oh but they're uneducated " then that's their own fucking fault, the internet exists, libraries exist, there's tons of colleges/schools that offer courses for adults. Chances are they thought school was a waste of time and didn't pay attention, now they expect the rest of society to hold their hand and tell them it's not their fault
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
This

I mean at what point does personal responsibility come into it? I'm as left wing as they come, but the left does my head in because nothing is ever their fault, there's no personal responsibility. Everyone's a victim of society

"oh but they're uneducated " then that's their own fucking fault, the internet exists, libraries exist, there's tons of colleges/schools that offer courses for adults. Chances are they thought school was a waste of time and didn't pay attention, now they expect the rest of society to hold their hand and tell them it's not their fault
🔥🔥🔥

Quote by Zaphikh
I'd like to ask where in any of my posts have I taken life seriously at all (which I assume you will continue to dodge as well).
You don't have enough self awareness for me to bother

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Bladez22
"oh but they're uneducated " then that's their own fucking fault

Wrong. Those know know, know; those who don't, don't. It is the responsibility of those who know, to actively pass on knowledge to others who don't, otherwise they are labeled as sophists/hoarders/addicts.
Quote by Xiaoxi
You don't have enough self awareness for me to bother

2transcendent4me

Your noble-cowardice is noted. All pertinent questions dodged.
Last edited by Zaphikh at Jun 17, 2017,
Quote by Bladez22
This

i'm all for personal responsibility/accountability, but does that not also apply to businesses and organizations?

just because their actions might be legal does not make it okay to be allowed to continue without some kind of check in place.

allowing "dumb people" to be so easily parted from their money serves to create more problems for everyone in the long term.

i also don't think you understand how ignorance and a lack of education perpetuates itself.
Quote by Zaphikh
Wrong. Those know know, know; those who don't, don't. It is the responsibility of those who know, to actively pass on knowledge to others who don't, otherwise they are labeled as sophists/hoarders/addicts.

So it's my job to educate the idiots?

Sorry but it's really not, we have a fantastic school system here in the uk, but soooo many people take it for granted and don't see the point in education or bettering themselves. I'm not wasting my time on people who don't have the desire to better themselves. I didn't spend my time in school getting bullied for being a nerd just for it to be my job to help educate the bullies 6 years after, fuck them/that, like I said we have the single largest collection of knowledge at our fingertips, do these people not have a mobile phone or access to the internet? Are they not capable of researching the company they're about to give hundreds of pounds to? Are they not capable of thinking for themselves for once in their lives?

It's not my responsibility to care for and look after idiots who refuse to help themselves
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i'm all for personal responsibility/accountability, but does that not also apply to businesses and organizations?

just because their actions might be legal does not make it okay to be allowed to continue without some kind of check in place.
If it was truly unethical, the entire business model would have been shut down a long time ago.

You know what's unethical? Wells Fargo opening undisclosed and non-consented lines of credits on their customers behalf just to charge fees. That's when the government should have and did fine these fuckers. It's a shame they weren't fined even more.

But MLM? The terms are pretty clearly laid out. They legally cannot hide anything you ask of them. And amazingly, it even does allow SOME people to make ancillary income, but you won't hear about that from libtard John Oliver. It's a platform for making legitimate money. Not a great one, but I don't know how much more handholding you'd like to require to make sure the stupid people of the world don't bump their head into anything.

Quote by Bladez22
Yes it is. And then after you do that, they will threaten to kick your ass over the internet lmao

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Bladez22
we have a fantastic school system here in the uk

well that at least partially explains our difference of opinion.

i live in the US and our public schools are an embarrassment
Quote by Bladez22

Yes? Unless if you want to live in a world inhabited by idiots, you must actively be a part in sharpening the minds of other folks. You can't have your cake and eat it too. How have you not realised this yet? It's one of the first concepts of education...
Quote by Bladez22
Sorry but it's really not, we have a fantastic school system here in the uk, but soooo many people take it for granted and don't see the point in education or bettering themselves. I'm not wasting my time on people who don't have the desire to better themselves.

All you've just said is: I don't care to help people that live a different life from my own.
Quote by Bladez22
I didn't spend my time in school getting bullied for being a nerd just for it to be my job to help educate the bullies 6 years after, fuck them/that, like I said we have the single largest collection of knowledge at our fingertips, do these people not have a mobile phone or access to the internet? Are they not capable of researching the company they're about to give hundreds of pounds to? Are they not capable of thinking for themselves for once in their lives?

Ah... ladies and gentlemen: the crux of the biscuit.

Bullied nerd lives out fantasy of enacting revenge on former schoolmates. The cycle of violence continues. Move along folks, nothing new here.
Quote by Bladez22
It's not my responsibility to care for and look after idiots who refuse to help themselves

Hey, that's okay with me, as long as you are okay with living among idiots. *shrug*
Quote by jakesmellspoo

allowing "dumb people" to be so easily parted from their money serves to create more problems for everyone in the long term.

i also don't think you understand how ignorance and a lack of education perpetuates itself.

so pyramid scheme companies shouldn't be able to sell their products? It's not their fault if someone buys 500 of their stock and is then unable to recoup their losses

I don't disagree that it's immoral, but you can't really introduce any real legislation to deal with it

And I see how the lack of education perpetuates itself. Im not a fucking moron, dumb people who didn't see the point in school have dumb kids and teach those kids that school is dumb. Again, it's not my responsibility to teach those people, especially so because it'd be a pointless endeavour as these people do not want to learn

You'd be a great spokesperson for the Salvation Army. "The poor uneducated folk are simply too dumb to make their own choices, we must ban alcohol, gambling, tobacco, because poor people get addicted to these things and lack the intelligence to break their bad habits". Some choices have consequences, people want to hide from that fact
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Xiaoxi
Ithey will threaten to kick your ass over the internet lmao

I've never threatened to harm you, or even wished that you would be harmed. Your aversion to answer says more about you than any real answer would have provided. All I asked if you've ever been physically confronted over your beliefs, which you failed, multiple times to answer, either out of cowardice, or shame. What fucking shame is there in saying, "No. Nobody's beaten my ass."? Seriously?
MLM is interesting but I never agreed with the chairman.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I live with idiots anyway, and I try to do my part and help people think for themselves. The amount of shit I've gotten for it has made me realise how futile it is though

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. You can give an idiot a book on basic household economics but they'll still blow all their money on booze and scratch cards because reading is boring
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by jakesmellspoo
well that at least partially explains our difference of opinion.

i live in the US and our public schools are an embarrassment

And yet is better than what 99.9% of people throughout history have ever gotten
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
You'd be a great spokesperson for the Salvation Army. "The poor uneducated folk are simply too dumb to make their own choices, we must ban alcohol, gambling, tobacco, because poor people get addicted to these things and lack the intelligence to break their bad habits". Some choices have consequences, people want to hide from that fact
lol, now that's really reading between the lines
Quote by Bladez22
And yet is better than what 99.9% of people throughout history have ever gotten

this is some bad logic.

this is the kind of thinking they pull with "new poor" aren't really that bad off because they don't live in the 3rd world.
Quote by Bladez22
I live with idiots anyway

Thank goodness you see yourself as different. From afar, you all look the same to me.
Quote by Bladez22
and I try to do my part and help people think for themselves.

It sounds silly, but what does, "think for yourself" mean? Can anybody really not think for themselves (save those in a coma/mental trauma)? "Think for yourself" has become an empty term for, "Do what I approve, else I'll quietly watch you suffer and enjoy the process".
Quote by Bladez22
The amount of shit I've gotten for it has made me realise how futile it is though

YOU. CANNOT. HAVE. YOUR. CAKE. AND. EAT. IT. TOO.

Boo-hoo, you didn't get a trophy for making the world a better place... what exactly were you expecting?
Quote by Bladez22
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Yes I can. You've never seen me handle horses. My will dominates theirs, regardless of how uncomfortable the process may be.
Quote by Bladez22
You can give an idiot a book on basic household economics but they'll still blow all their money on booze and scratch cards because reading is boring

What were idiots like before the invention of the "house"?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
lol, now that's really reading between the lines

True

Quote by jakesmellspoo

this is some bad logic.

this is the kind of thinking they pull with "new poor" aren't really that bad off because they don't live in the 3rd world.

I mean yeah it's unfair to belittle people because others have it worse, but at the same time you're in the USA, the "greatest country on Gods earth", one of the richest and most developed nations in the world

I was merely saying that for the majority of human history education was a privilege, not a right, and people forget that and don't realise just how lucky they are to be born today

How am I having my cake and eating it too? I come from a dirt poor family, went to a rough as fuck school in London where I got the shit kicked out of me daily. I then moved to a poor area of the countryside where I went to a school that had half of its funding embezzled by the cunt principle. I went to university where I had to work my arse off in the summers only to still not make ends meet. I've worked hard to better myself in the face of adversity, it's not my fault if others don't have the same desire to better themselves

I could very easily spend my days going "woe is me, the world is unfair, why doesn't anyone help me?" But I know how pointless that is, and that if I want to achieve anything in my life then I'm the only one who'll make that happen

How am I meant to educate other people then oh wise one? Am I meant to preach on the street corner? Like I said I happily help people if they have questions and want to learn, but how am I meant to help the masses when I can barely help myself?

And before anyone asks no I'm not okay, I've just been agreeing with xiaoxi and now I feel all dirty
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
the richest and most developed nations in the world

As much as I agree with the rest of your post, I do need to make a note that Detroit still exists.
I keep trying to type up an intelligent post, but it keeps boiling down to "fuck me why are people so stupid?"
thinking about it some more...

So there's a company that, rather than selling its products, deliberately tries to convince people who are clearly no good at a thing, that they are good at that thing, in order for the company to make money, sod whatever happens next.
I think they're dicks.

But then there are people who fall for the ridiculous marketing crap, who are clearly morons.
But those morons are sold on the idea that they can pretty much do exactly the same thing, but to other morons, which would make them dicks as well. They might only want to go along with it because they're to moronic to realise the dickness, but that doesn't negate the dickness.

So really we're just dealing with a pyramid of dicks here.
My friend dragged me to one being hosted at a house without telling me what it was, for Verve energy drink or something stupid like that. They mentioned "this is not a pyramid scheme" at least 5 times throughout, with some bullshit explanation that I didn't get (and nobody else got either probably, but "sounded right"). I even asked the guy on skype why not, since it was in substance, and tried to talk some people out of doing it in the backyard party.

My friend did it anyway and got stuck with like $300 of them lmao. Luckily they were pretty damn good for having low sugar, and had more vitamins than standard energy drinks
Quote by Bladez22
True

I mean yeah it's unfair to belittle people because others have it worse, but at the same time you're in the USA, the "greatest country on Gods earth", one of the richest and most developed nations in the world

I was merely saying that for the majority of human history education was a privilege, not a right, and people forget that and don't realise just how lucky they are to be born today

How am I having my cake and eating it too? I come from a dirt poor family, went to a rough as fuck school in London where I got the shit kicked out of me daily. I then moved to a poor area of the countryside where I went to a school that had half of its funding embezzled by the cunt principle. I went to university where I had to work my arse off in the summers only to still not make ends meet. I've worked hard to better myself in the face of adversity, it's not my fault if others don't have the same desire to better themselves

I could very easily spend my days going "woe is me, the world is unfair, why doesn't anyone help me?" But I know how pointless that is, and that if I want to achieve anything in my life then I'm the only one who'll make that happen

How am I meant to educate other people then oh wise one? Am I meant to preach on the street corner? Like I said I happily help people if they have questions and want to learn, but how am I meant to help the masses when I can barely help myself?

And before anyone asks no I'm not okay, I've just been agreeing with xiaoxi and now I feel all dirty

Not "woe is me..."

More along the lines of, I see motherfuckers x, y, and z obtaining benefits by glad-handing other comfortable fuckers x2, y2, and z2, then claiming ownership and stake at the entire process towards financial stability. It's all gang-activity at the end of the day. Subtle or not, it's all gang-activity; whether to ease the psyche, or to ease current discomfort.
I've bought from Avon reps before, but otherwise I tend to stay away from it. Tupperware is the only other thing I have a weakness for when it comes to mlm and that's because I know the quality of the products since my mum has Tupperware containers that have been around longer than I have.

I would never use mlm to make money, but then I'm fortunate enough to have a great job.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Will Lane

do you know anybody involved in a mlm company? are you involved in one? have you seen any mlm products work at all? are any mlm companies being honest and not taking advantage of lower-tier employees?

I've known many people who tried it . They all basically fail because you can't leverage friendships for overpriced mediocre products. It's sad to see.
Page 1 of 2