There's a charity in the uk that cares for deaf blind children, children who're born without sight and hearing. I don't mean to diminish the charity or anything they do, but I can't help but think that it'd be more humane to let these children die. It must be a very lonely, confusing, and terrifying existence, not to mention how much work it must take to care for them. I can't imagine that these children have a good quality of life.

So my question/topic of discussion is at what point is it more humane to let nature take its course? what quality of life do these kids have? Are there other types of disabilities which you think it would be kinder to let the child pass than keep it alive for altruistic reasons? And am I completely in the wrong for thinking this and asking these questions?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
i'm sure they play a mean pin ball
I have no idea what their quailty of life would be like as I have only met adults who are both deaf and blind, so I don't feel comfortable making assumptions about how a child might experience this - also, deaf-blindess is not a homogenous condition. Letting a child die because of disabilities such as these that can be accomodated would be unconscionable to me, but I understand if others do not want to or cannot accomodate them. 
cat
have you really never heard of Helen Keller?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
more interesting and less dumb question: if life is fundamentally suffering, is antinatalism the right position to hold?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by guitarxo
I have no idea what their quailty of life would be like as I have only met adults who are both deaf and blind, so I don't feel comfortable making assumptions about how a child might experience this - also, deaf-blindess is not a homogenous condition. Letting a child die because of disabilities such as these that can be accomodated would be unconscionable to me, but I understand if others do not want to or cannot accomodate them. 

what would you say the adults quality of life was? Did they seem happy and somewhat functional?

It's not that I don't want to accommodate them, I think it's a question of if we should or not, because I can't imagine them having a good quality of life. Is it rare for them to have absolutely no vision or hearing? because that does change things
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Banjocal
more interesting and less dumb question: if life is fundamentally suffering, is antinatalism the right position to hold?
yes
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
have you really never heard of Helen Keller?

I know she was deaf-blind but wasn't born like it, I thought she lost her senses due to meningitis at around 2?

And had someone around 24/7 to try and teach her some form of language
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
what would you say the adults quality of life was? Did they seem happy and somewhat functional?

It's not that I don't want to accommodate them, I think it's a question of if we should or not, because I can't imagine them having a good quality of life. Is it rare for them to have absolutely no vision or hearing? because that does change things

Many of them were employed at the time. Most of them communicate via ASL but others (mainly those who were not born with a profound hearing loss) use speech. Some of them have cochlear implants too so the hearing loss isn't as big of a deal; for others, all it helps them with is hearing environmental noise but they are still unable to hear speech. 

I think we should accomodate them. 
cat
Quote by Bladez22
I know she was deaf-blind but wasn't born like it, I thought she lost her senses due to meningitis at around 2?

And had someone around 24/7 to try and teach her some form of language
she still lost it at an early enough age for it to impair cognitive (i think that's the word i'm looking for) development until she had a tutor.

my point was she was able to learn and gain some quality of life with the help of... uh... whatsername...

i'm sure the medical community is far better equipped to handle these things now than ever before.

and quality of life is kind of what you make it. treading a bit into philosophy here, but would you rather lose your sight/hearing as a child or never have had them in the first place? can you feel a lessened overall quality of life based on a lack of a sense if you never had it in the first place?

personally i believe as long as you have some basic level of cognition, life is what you make of it.

there was a story in the news recently about a mother that took care of her son for around 20 years.

he'd had permanent brain damage from being shaken as an infant, less than a year old, and would never develop mentally/cognitively past a few month old baby.

at that point i see zero quality of life. you're not even aware of your own existence. you're just there.

Quote by guitarxo
Many of them were employed at the time. Most of them communicate via ASL but others (mainly those who were not born with a profound hearing loss) use speech. Some of them have cochlear implants too so the hearing loss isn't as big of a deal; for others, all it helps them with is hearing environmental noise but they are still unable to hear speech. 

I think we should accomodate them. 

Ah okay, that's a lot different to what I imagined adults with deaf blindness would be like. I also keep forgetting cochlear implants are a thing

I should clarify too, the charity advertises on tv, and it comes across as strange. They show these kids staring off into the distance while someone holds a small fan near their face, and honestly the child just looks terrified to me

But yeah to answer my own question, yes I was being a bit of a dick
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Last edited by Bladez22 at Jun 17, 2017,
Deaf-blind sounds like a condition where you don't realize deaf people can't hear.

Kind of like not having gaydar.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Bladez22
but I can't help but think that it'd be more humane to let these children die.

Wtf? It's only terrifying if you know what you aren't experiencing. Just because they serve no financial or emotional benefit to you does not mean they warrant a death-wish. Seriously dude, wtf. Humans are already physically "weak" in terms of spectral analysis relative to other species, does that mean all of humanity should be wiped out due to this little fact?

Edit: in the grand-scheme-of-things, we hardly perceive jack shit of what's happening around us! Don't get too high-n-mighty now...
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Last edited by Zaphikh at Jun 18, 2017,
Quote by snipelfritz
Kind of like not having gaydar.
yeah but that's just called "being straight"
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one