When I look at a potential guitar I could buy and use, I also criticize the location of the pickup selector switch, among other things, but I have never came across any post complaining about this particular subject. It seems as if people really don't care.

I feel that the selector should be available very close to the fretting hand, below the 1st string between neck and bridge humbuckers for quick switching between them. What do you think? Did this issue ever influence a purchase of yours?

A close approximation of what i mean is the Ibanez RG721RW; if the volume knob wouldn't be so close to the bridge it could have been close to perfect (it is a 5-way wheel which I don't prefer over the 3-way switches). Here is the link. http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_detail17.php?year=2017&area_id=2&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=168&color=CL01

Quote by yakplays
When I look at a potential guitar I could buy and use, I also criticize the location of the pickup selector switch, among other things, but I have never came across any post complaining about this particular subject. It seems as if people really don't care.

It's not that they don't care, they just get used to it.

If ergonomics are the absolute #1 priority, it makes sense to place the switch somewhere that is within the strumming motion of your right hand. The exact best place to put it depends on the specific guitar and personal preference.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
T00DEEPBLUE
Well, nicely put. The preferences may differ, but i really do not want to believe that people would be ok to reach to in between of volume and tone knobs, or even way back to where the output jack is. The thought just drives me nuts! But still, thanks for the opinion.
On the topic of control layouts. It's kind of funny how things change over time. When I started playing 15 years ago volume swells were all the rage and every guitar (well, ok, not gibsons) had the volume knob right under the bridge pickup. Now no one uses volume swells any more and the knobs on newer models tend to be further back, away from the pickups. Even the newer Jeff Loomis sig has had the volume knob relocated.
Last edited by risingforce1 at Jun 17, 2017,
Quote by risingforce1
On the topic of control layouts. It's kind of funny how things change over time. When I started playing 15 years ago volume swells were all the rage and every guitar (well, ok, not gibsons) had the volume knob right under the bridge pickup. Now no one uses volume swells any more and the knobs on newer models tend to be further back, away from the pickups. Even the newer Jeff Loomis sig has had the volume knob relocated.

Speak for yourself.
I like the volume knob between the bridge and the bridge pickup; it's in about the right position for pinky swells, but it's out of the way for everything else. I've actually moved Les Paul knobs to produce this setup (extra routing required...). For those who honestly don't use the volume knob at all (except perhaps to turn off the guitar) it really doesn't matter. But I'm not at all sure that we've seen a trend one direction or the other.

As for pickup selectors, I think the location needs to make sense, since it can potentially get a lot of use, but beyond that it's a matter of personal preference. Probably the oddest one is the six-way on the old L6S guitars, but it's also got some of the coolest sounds.
I'm not too fussed about the location as long as it's the correct side of the knobs (i.e. closer to the strings) but the positions are a bigger issue for me. I have a 4-way on my Baja Tele that I mean to rewire because the neck pickup only position is the third one from the bridge end. I need to be able to switch to neck only or bridge only by just batting it one way or the other so I don't want those positions somewhere in the middle. I know some people like to flip Tele control plates round to have the knobs closer and the switch further; some people just don't need to switch on the fly as much
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I'm not a huge fan of pup switches above the strings like on a LP' or Tele Deluxe but it's not a deal killer.
i think the problem is that one person's "within easy reach" is another's "I keep hitting it accidentally". I agree with you, I like the selector in the strat-style place (and the volume knob, too), but a lot of people complain of accidentally hitting them when they're so close at hand.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think the problem is that one person's "within easy reach" is another's "I keep hitting it accidentally". I agree with you, I like the selector in the strat-style place (and the volume knob, too), but a lot of people complain of accidentally hitting them when they're so close at hand.
That's a good point; definitely for me the Strat switch is liable to be hit, not so much because it's too close but because it's in line with the motion of my hand.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
^ LOL

Quote by K33nbl4d3
That's a good point; definitely for me the Strat switch is liable to be hit, not so much because it's too close but because it's in line with the motion of my hand.

yeah everyone plays slightly differently (and some people play very differently), so what works brilliantly with one person's playing style and preferences can work against someone else's.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I feel it should be on the same side of the guitar as the strings.

On the same side, but in a different post code.

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend