Hi all,

I'm trying to decide what to do. I want a neck thru no doubt, cos I have a prestige Ibby that fits the bolt on requirements. My grail guitars are a a Jackson Soloist or a ESP Horizon, or M-II.

Problem is ESP Originals are silly money now so it would be the E-II M-II probably (Ugh on the brand BS , btw). Jackson USA shop has stayed within the stratosphere at least, money wise.

Playing them for a bit doesn't tell me much other than they are all pretty good at that price range. 

My heart says Soloist but I don't want to be silly. They are still the schizznitt right?

C
I own a 99 SL1 and a 96 SL2 (USA). They are the bees knees but M2s are nice too. If I was buying new id probably go for the ESP. The quality is similar and the prices they're asking for the US jacksons now is nuts. The urban camo M-II was hnnnghhh. The EII version doesn't have the neck binding....it's just not he same. .

HNnnnnghhhhhh

Edit: damn. That's a lefty. Still sexy.
This is all personal preference but I'd go Jackson - love the compound radius neck and prefer the Jumbo frets over the extra jumbo on the m-II.

I own 2 bolt-on MIJ Jacksons, LTD EC-1001, and an E-II Eclipse.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Are you guys choosing those particular guitars because that's all you have available where you are?
Quote by dspellman
Are you guys choosing those particular guitars because that's all you have available where you are?

I think risingforce and metalmingee are just answering me, to be honest. 

To answer you, I can get pretty much anything where I am, though I have to consider that I'm in Montreal and import tax is retarded here so I tend to stick to what is already in Canada. I've considered - amongst others - Caparison, Schecter, Mayones, PRS as well as the ESP and Jackson. Like I said, I've already got an Ibanez currently. I've had fenders and gretsch in the past but not interested in another of those (mainly because I play more metal than anything now).

I guess it comes down to the spec and the price I can get. I can get a Jackson US Soloist for $3000 CAD which is good. I'd be something like double for an ESP Original or a US made ESP. I like pointies too so that's another factor. 

I'm all ears though (or eyes, I guess), so if you have any suggestions....feel free.
Quote by risingforce1
I own a 99 SL1 and a 96 SL2 (USA). They are the bees knees but M2s are nice too. If I was buying new id probably go for the ESP. The quality is similar and the prices they're asking for the US jacksons now is nuts. The urban camo M-II was hnnnghhh. The EII version doesn't have the neck binding....it's just not he same. .

HNnnnnghhhhhh

Edit: damn. That's a lefty. Still sexy.

Yeah dude the camo is nice. I agree about neck binding though. Another plus with a US SL. I'm going to go double buckers as well cos I can't pick with a middle pup. Sounds like you have a keeper in the SL2 USA. I want an ESP badly one day but the E-II range feels like a settle. I'm part of the club that wants to see the fecking ESP on the headstock. 
Quote by metalmingee
This is all personal preference but I'd go Jackson - love the compound radius neck and prefer the Jumbo frets over the extra jumbo on the m-II.

I own 2 bolt-on MIJ Jacksons, LTD EC-1001, and an E-II Eclipse.

I'm leaning that way for sure. Hey are you finding much difference between the Ltd and E-II eclipses? Quality, feel etc..?
Quote by Conjoiner
I think risingforce and metalmingee are just answering me, to be honest. 

I guess it comes down to the spec and the price I can get. I can get a Jackson US Soloist for $3000 CAD which is good. I'd be something like double for an ESP Original or a US made ESP. I like pointies too so that's another factor. 

I'm all ears though (or eyes, I guess), so if you have any suggestions....feel free.

Most of my guitars recently have been Les Paul-ish, but I'm in SoCal, and we have enough custom and semi-custom builders here that for THAT money, a production guitar really doesn't show up on my radar. So, for example, I've ended up with half a dozen Carvins (now Kiesel), considered some Suhrs, am anticipating a Tom Andersion, have several Moonstones, etc. If I were going for an ESP, it would definitely not be something ordinarily metal, but something far more flamboyant:

Conjoiner Yeah, the LTD and the E-II are different guitars for sure, even if you disregard the Floyd and EMGs in the LTD.  The two main differences in feel are the fretboard radii - 350mm on the LTD and 305 on the E-II - I always read them the same on their site until I had the 2 side by side.  The LTD also has a better cutaway - the back of it is beveled to allow your hand to reach the higher frets easier and there are 24 frets.  The E-II has a solid cutaway if that makes any sense and 22 frets.  

The frets are way nicer on the E-II though.  The LTD frankly needs a fret leveling to really get the action where I want it.  The fit and finish are also hands down better on the E-II.  The LTD still has scrap shavings of wood attached to the body in the Floyd cutout by the springs and the binding on the neck is cracked at the 3rd fret.  

I purchased the LTD used and can't complain at all for the price I actually paid.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
mayones regius with that kind of budget all day.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by metalmingee
Conjoiner Yeah, the LTD and the E-II are different guitars for sure, even if you disregard the Floyd and EMGs in the LTD.  The two main differences in feel are the fretboard radii - 350mm on the LTD and 305 on the E-II - I always read them the same on their site until I had the 2 side by side.  The LTD also has a better cutaway - the back of it is beveled to allow your hand to reach the higher frets easier and there are 24 frets.  The E-II has a solid cutaway if that makes any sense and 22 frets.  

The frets are way nicer on the E-II though.  The LTD frankly needs a fret leveling to really get the action where I want it.  The fit and finish are also hands down better on the E-II.  The LTD still has scrap shavings of wood attached to the body in the Floyd cutout by the springs and the binding on the neck is cracked at the 3rd fret.  

I purchased the LTD used and can't complain at all for the price I actually paid.

It's good to know there's a definite quality gap. Were you pissed when they put E-II on the head instead of ESP though? All they needed to do was put ESP with sub-script saying Standard, Original or Custom. 

Twots. 

Anyway, I'll check out the M-II pictured above (except in righty tighty) but I've got someone checking stock for this sweet quilted cherry burst SL2H Soloist... but I fear they only make black these days.  
dspellman If I was like a Prince tribute act, or a wizard or something I might play one of those guitars. They're nice and all. Flamboyance is right. The FRX is a good instrument but I'm an inline pointy headstock kind of man. 

Sounds like you have enough guitars for one lifetime anyway dude, lol. 
Conjoiner I don't think the E-II thing is a big deal.  Would it be nice if it still said ESP?  I guess so.  It does say ESP on the 12th fret though.  I won mine in a contest on ESP's site so i don't really care what is on the headstock
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee oh dude that's awesome! Yeah, I hear you, I wouldn't care either in that case. Whatever they'd give me, you know! - I'm starting to get over it anyway, I just salivated over them for years when I started learning years ago and that logo was a kind of a talisman. 
personally I would not let a neck joint be a tipping point in the guitar realm. neckthru is nice, don't get me wrong, but a good shaved heel on a bolt on AANJ isn't much different
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
the regius is easily the best neck through guitar you can get as a semi production guitar...

although 3000 cad is a lot less money then i thought it was. whoops.

AcousticMirror Yeah man the Canadian dollar took a donkey punch. I only said 3k cos that's what I can get a US Jackson SL2H for (if the vendor gets back to me about stock), but I'm flexible. 

I see you're a PRS man so your fondness of Mayones makes sense. They are nice for sure, but almost too pretty. Bit like PRS imo. Not a negative point as such but I'd feel like I couldn't bash it into mic stands and speakers and basses and vocalists without worrying if I'd dinged that beautiful finsh! I prefer the inline tuners as well. 

Pointy pointy pointy.  
Quote by trashedlostfdup
personally I would not let a neck joint be a tipping point in the guitar realm. neckthru is nice, don't get me wrong, but a good shaved heel on a bolt on AANJ isn't much different

Yeah I've got an Ibby prestige with the aanj at the moment, but I'm looking for NT for a few different reasons, not really about upper access. 
Quote by Conjoiner
AcousticMirror Yeah man the Canadian dollar took a donkey punch. I only said 3k cos that's what I can get a US Jackson SL2H for (if the vendor gets back to me about stock), but I'm flexible. 

I see you're a PRS man so your fondness of Mayones makes sense. They are nice for sure, but almost too pretty. Bit like PRS imo. Not a negative point as such but I'd feel like I couldn't bash it into mic stands and speakers and basses and vocalists without worrying if I'd dinged that beautiful finsh! I prefer the inline tuners as well. 

Pointy pointy pointy.  

i mean 3000cad is still almost 2.3k usd. it's really just about how much money your willing to bash. my skervesen had a bunch of dings on it already when i bought it. if you go used and pre dinged it makes everything much easier.

I actually don't really like pretty finishes on guitars.

you can find a regius used for like 2.2k usd. neck through skervesen is gonna much rarer though.

I have both USA Jackson's Soloists, and a neckthru ESP.  The ESP is an M1 NT E-II, I've played an older "Standard" and it looked, felt, and played identically.  I really love both.  They both feel different, the neck has much more depth to it than a Jackson with a compound radius.  I usually like a really thin, Wizard-like neck, and transitioning to the ESP after playing one of my other guitars feels weird for a couple min, but I still find it comfortable.  

The quality on both I would say are near equal.  Probably give the nod in favor of the Jackson for final fit & finish, but that could be argued it's that close.  I don't really love the reverse headstock on the ESP, I prefer my tuners on top, but mine being a hardtail, I don't have to mess with it much.  I'm also not much of an Active pup guys, I've had them in other guitars, including USA Jackson's and they just felt lacking, but the EMG 81 just SINGS in the ESP.  The ESP is possibly the best sounding guitar I've played unplugged.  This may sound silly, but it really speaks to it's overall build quality and the thought process that went into what woods to use in the build.
Quote by Xander_X
I have both USA Jackson's Soloists, and a neckthru ESP.  The ESP is an M1 NT E-II, I've played an older "Standard" and it looked, felt, and played identically.  I really love both.  They both feel different, the neck has much more depth to it than a Jackson with a compound radius.  I usually like a really thin, Wizard-like neck, and transitioning to the ESP after playing one of my other guitars feels weird for a couple min, but I still find it comfortable.  

The quality on both I would say are near equal.  Probably give the nod in favor of the Jackson for final fit & finish, but that could be argued it's that close.  I don't really love the reverse headstock on the ESP, I prefer my tuners on top, but mine being a hardtail, I don't have to mess with it much.  I'm also not much of an Active pup guys, I've had them in other guitars, including USA Jackson's and they just felt lacking, but the EMG 81 just SINGS in the ESP.  The ESP is possibly the best sounding guitar I've played unplugged.  This may sound silly, but it really speaks to it's overall build quality and the thought process that went into what woods to use in the build.

Dude thanks so much, that's pretty much the exact comparisons I was looking for. I too like the tuners on top but I'm willing to forego that here.

I heard they sounded good unplugged and it's good for me actually because I practice a lot unplugged when my little girl is in bed.

Sounds like both guitars fit the bill. I like jackson necks but like you said I feel a mild adjustment is all that's needed to play the slightly thicker U shapes.

I'm trying to get the current stock out of the Jackson rep. Looks like they've condensed the US SL into black or white options. I'd go with white but of course it's $700 at my AD.

Thanks again man