I recently purchased this via willhaben.at (thats like craigslist here in Austria). While it performed well with my Tele, my Les Pauls struggled a bit. The tone was muffed and did not have much highs. It sounded dull and muddy.

After much research (thx to UG forum and  SomeoneYouKnew) I was convinced this can be made better. I can handle a soldering iron, so why not? After getting over the initial fears of electrocuting myself, I ordered a Fender Mod Kit for my V2 on eBay (Alnicomagnet - Nigel Briggs). I also ordered the Fender Tweed Control package from him.

Nigels documentation is very good, from how to drain the caps up until final assembly checks. Even mods that are not in the kit are described.

Below is my album, I'll post seperate pics soon!

https://goo.gl/photos/46c96GUVePEmemdX9
Last edited by pontiac51 at Jun 21, 2017,
Here are 2 pics of what you get with the Fender Mod and the Tweed Control Mod.

Last edited by pontiac51 at Jun 19, 2017,
At 330V plate voltage you better check those caps are empty before working on it!!! But, the bleeder works fine and also hot tubes loose the charge quite quickly. But better safe than sorry!

After marking all the cables I got the PCB out.

Couple of hours later the new PCB is finished. Most changes happened in the sound section on the left, but also a few new caps in the power section on the right.

None of the images you've posted are loading.

Make sure you upload the images to an image sharing site like imgur, and then paste the URL that's generated from imgur to your posts and wrap them in IMG tags.

It's a bit of a nuisance, but most online forums work this way.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Now I had to drill all the holes in the chassis for the modifications.

Wiring up the load switch and the line out jack.

Next up: "Fender" Tweed Control pots.

Time for a final test before reassembly.

Finished front and back panel. The one switch not labeled is the triode/pentode switch I have not done yet.

Quote by pontiac51
I can see them fine?

We can't. It could be because you need to have an account to view images that have been uploaded from that image sharing site. We don't have accounts on that site, so we can't see them.

Imgur doesn't have that restriction.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
That site is my personal .com domain. I never had any issues with anything uploaded there in the last 20 years. Friends of mine can see the fotos fine, so that might be a geographical problem? Has the UK got their firewalls up on .com domains or EU sites now? ;-)

:edit: I just did some website availability checks for the fotos. They load fine from pretty much anywhere in the UK.
Quote by pontiac51
 That site is my personal .com domain. I never had any issues with anything uploaded there in the last 20 years. Friends of mine can see the fotos fine, so that might be a geographical problem? Has the UK got their firewalls up on .com domains or EU sites now? ;-)

Just telling you how it is, buddy. Images no worky-worky.

Maybe your domain has keeled over? It has been 20 years. ;-)

imgur is known to work on UG, so don't worry, the UK hasn't gone completely mad.
Quote by TheSennaj
Could you please try to access the pictures directly? I just want to be sure this is an UG issue not one with my site.

:edit: Just confirmed with a friend in London, links are OK. So, truly a UG problem or on your side.
pontiac51 yup, uploading it to imgur works.

I've copied one of the links from your site and I receive the warning: 'access to this website has been initially blocked because it has not been verified as a trusted site'
Quote by TheSennaj
Very odd. Tried the major browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) and could not reproduce that error. Are you using some Malware addons maybe?
I'm in Australia. Having no trouble with images from when the first one was posted.
Anyhow, I have moved them to IMGUR, altough I personally despise such solutions.
Quote by Vreid
I'm in Australia. Having no trouble with images from when the first one was posted.

Thx for the info. Appreciated.
pontiac51 Pretty cool.

How come you added a standby switch?
Quote by TheSennaj
Yep, the standby is not really necessary, but wont hurt.
Is the switch AC/DC rating within spec? Looks like its wired pre bridge.

How does it sound for you now? It's good fun, and you can certainly learn a lot from doing these types of mods.
Vreid I mainly did this for my Les Pauls and at least for my P90 this has improved the sound greatly. There are highs now, the dullness is gone. The amp is considerably louder now, but this may be due to the Les Paul. I have not tried it with the Tele yet.

As far as I can see in the photos its a 2A 255VAC, but I'm not sure. Let me check. And yes, the stby switch is mounted between HT and PCB along with the fuse.
Nice work
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I did some minor work yesterday. I tieded up the cables and removed some markings on the front and back panel to give a cleaner look. Removing the paint is easily done with some thinner and carefull application aka cotton buds.

:edit: Changed the pics back to my domain. Imgur cannot even hold them for a day.
Last edited by pontiac51 at Jun 21, 2017,
Today I finally fitted the triode/pentode switch. Nigel does warn that this is a complicated task. But as a seasoned RC modeler I found this can be done easy with a bit of care and the right tools.

On reassembly I put shrink tubes on all the new solder joints from before. Put it back together, slapped a sticker on it. Done.