Hey I'm 14 and have been playing for 4 years and im looking for a new amp. I'm looking for an head amp that can do metal because I mostly play Metallica but I'm not trying to copy their tone I'm trying to be original. I am playing a Gibson Les Paul 50s tribute through a Line 6 spider 15. I don't want an amp that has millions of. effects (line6) but more of a good tone and less channels amp. All I need is a clean and A distortion channel preferably with separate EQs. I was looking at the new Randall rg3003h head and is considering buying it but I'm not sure how the tone is for lead. I was also looking at the Carvin V3 head but I'm not sure if it has enough gain or if the gain channel will be tight. So give me recommendations on amps that you think would be good for me and I'll try them out thanks.
Budget?
Power (50 or 100W)?
Need reverb?
Need an effects loop?
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Budget?
Location?
Willing to buy used?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by 8Len8
Budget?
Power (50 or 100W)?
Need reverb?
Need an effects loop?

budget= at most $600
50w preferably
It does not need reverb
Yes It does need an effects loop
Quote by DarthV
Budget?
Location?
Willing to buy used?

Nothing over $600
I live in Centerville Ohio
I will buy used
What cab are you planning to use?

Not sure how good of a deal this is, but the 50w 5150 III has an excellent clean channel (shares EQ with the crunch channel tho) and 2 great high gain channels.

https://dayton.craigslist.org/msg/6137832097.html
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I have a 150W version of that Randall, RG1503h, and it really is a good amp (my go to amp really. I find myself playing it more than my Bugera 333 tube amp) but for tight metal tones it really needs an overdrive pedal. The amount of gain is not the problem (it has a metric shitton of it) but to get that tight aggressive pick attack it needs a little kick from tubescreamer-type pedals. Without it has more fuzzy/doomy kind of distortion. But put an overdrive in front of it and it slays. If solid state amp is what you are after I can recommend it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by DarthV
What cab are you planning to use?

Not sure how good of a deal this is, but the 50w 5150 III has an excellent clean channel (shares EQ with the crunch channel tho) and 2 great high gain channels.

https://dayton.craigslist.org/msg/6137832097.html

Boom. Do it TS.

That thing will slay the Randall (of the Carvin imo) for metal.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Boom. Do it TS.

+1. Holy shit that is a good deal. At least compared to european prices we have to pay.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus wow I've actually been trying to contact you about that amp because I've seen one other randall RG forms so I'm either thinking of getting the Randall RG 3003 or that evh 5150 iii The guy above you posted
Multiple posts are not allowed. Edit your posts on the bottom-right hand side please. Any more of that and you'll be warned.
Quote by areskoch
T00DEEPBLUE what do you mean of the carvin

What do you mean, what do you mean?

I just think the EVH is a better metal amp than the V3.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
OK guys I think I'm gonna get the evh along with a tube screamer and a power attenuators
Quote by areskoch
OK guys I think I'm gonna get the evh along with a tube screamer and a power attenuators

What do you need a power attenuator for? What's wrong with just using the master volume the way it was intended?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah you really do not need a power attenuator with this one. Power attenuator is used mainly to get classic cranked power amp distortion at lower volumes and amp like this is a modern high-gain amp that rides on the preamp section. People still bring up power attenuators around the internet because they keep on buying the ages old myth that you need to crank tube amps to make them sound good but that is mostly nonsense with modern amps high gain amps.

Save the money on attenuators and put it in good cabinet.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 19, 2017,
areskoch

I was also looking at the Carvin V3 head but I'm not sure if it has enough gain or if the gain channel will be tight.

The Carvin V3, V3M, and Vai Legacy will all handle metal quite well, and are pretty feature laden. If you are patient and check Reverb.com, you DNA find any of those in or close to your budget.
https://reverb.com/brand/carvin?product_type=amps&price_min=300&price_max=700&category=guitar-heads

Looking at the other amps on that page, the x100B is also an option if you want to get into Satriani territory:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?242527-Tell-me-about-the-Carvin-X100B
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Here are some other options if the 5150 III falls through, all used:

Peavey 6505+ (you wanted something original and this is not it, but brutal as hell and any metal guitarist worth their salt has one at some point).  The EVH 5150 III is just a more modern version of this amp anyway.  
Anything from the Peavey XXX line including the JSX, XXL, XXX, XXX II, etc.  
Randall RD
Randall Thrasher (probably over budget)
Laney IronHeart
Mesa Single Rectifier (stretch that budget)

If you go through with your plan to build the 212 cab, check out the WGS Veteran30 speakers.  I'd seriously consider these if I were to purchase new.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
So I think am gonna go with the evh. will this need a tube screamer? What tones can this amp get? And is it versital?
Quote by areskoch
So I think am gonna go with the evh. will this need a tube screamer? What tones can this amp get? And is it versital?

It's a very versatile amp that sounds great without any pedals.  However, it can sound even better with an OD boosting it, especially on the blue channel.  When I tried one the red channel seemed like it was already boosted and tightened by an OD, but I wasn't using one.

The tone is pretty standard grindy-mids 5150 tone (a crushing tone that strives to tell the world how much it hates it), albeit a bit smoother and more refined.  The original 5150/6505 is one of the most brutal amps ever made, and the 6505+/5150II is backed off a tad, while the EVH is backed off a tad further.  And it isn't necessarily because of the amount of gain -- it's the voicing; though there is more gain on all of them at "5" than most amps have on "10."  The 5150 III has a great clean channel to boot.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I'd pretty much say yes to an OD for any metal application. The tubescreamer variants work great as clean boosts and will help tighten up the low end. The EVH is pretty tight on its own and it has more gain than anyone could ever use, so that's all to personal taste. The only drawback is the shared gain/eq between channel 1 and 2, which means you might not get pristine cleans (which this amp CAN do) and a lot of drive on the blue channel (channel 2) without tweaking knobs but using an OD can work wonders there.

There will be tons of demo videos on youtube. This is a pretty good one:

And notice, he's almost never above noon on the gain. Another thing to remember, this amp gets LOUD. At 2.5/10, with a 212 cab tiled back, mine will keep up with a drummer in a small room.

As for a cab, the original 5150/6505 seemed to love Vintage 30 speakers. But after going back and forth between my Mesa rectifier 212 and the EVH 212, I like the EVH cab more with the 5150 III.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV

That is a good demo. Best thing about it, IMHO: the demonstrator knows his limitations- he plays the song snippets precisely, even if he's not playing as fast as the original. That means no distractions from bad clams.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I think he just wanted to be as articulate as possible, he rips pretty good in his other vids He's pretty much bang on with the right amount of gain, basically low enough that mistakes are very obvious but very crisp to show off the types of tones you can get.

It also makes me want to use my 5153 more than I do now!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Get that 5150III amp at that price. I have it. It has 3 channels. 1 is totally clean. 2nd is little dirty. 3rd is 5150 type distortion. FX Loop at the back.

Channel 1 and 2 share the same EQ. 3 doesn't. There is a massive jump in volume level between switching channel 1 and 2. You aren't really supposed to switch them. More 1 to 3 or 2 to 3. Not 1 to 2.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
diabolical The 100W has separate EQ for each of the three channels. The 50W has two EQs. One for the clean and semi-dirt channel which share vol and gain and then a separate EQ for the distortion channel with its own vol and gain. So that's what they cut back on. However the 50W I think is one pre-amp tube short of the 100W, so that's not bad either.

There is no way to go from the clean to semi-dirt without blowing your wallpaper off. To get the right clean sound you are supposed to crank the volume to 10 and use the gain to set how loud you want it. So if you switch to the semi-dirt channel its 50W cranked hitting you.

You can up the gain and lower the volume but then you are muddying your clean channel, which is really what the second channel is for. In fact for some clean stuff with pedals I use this second channel instead of the clean channel because the clean is too clean and I need more drive in it, even with my Earthquaker Acapulco gold.

So yeah, this amps clean channel is clean as hell, but then your choice of distortion is either the 3rd channel or a pedal, not the second channel. Likewise if you switch from the 2nd channel to the first, the 1st channel will be too low to hear anything.

It isn't such a problem unless you want a clean channel that can switch to a slightly over driven channel.  Either the 100W or a different amp for that like a Fender or something.

I did this on low volume on the distortion channel at vol lvl 1/10 in a bedroom. It still gives good tone. http://vocaroo.com/i/s1YBtJNTKsYS  
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Or you know, you can just mod it by putting a concentric pot on the master volume and gain control for the first set of EQ controls.

I don't really need to turn the clean channel all the way to 10 to get a really clean tone. I sort of just turn it to halfway up.

The volume jump is annoying, but it can be fixed with mods. And even then, I don't really use channel 2 enough to warrant doing that mod anyway. I mainly bought the head for channel 1 and 3.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I need clean, crunch, heavy rhythm and lead...so that amp without a mod will annoy me to no end.
I recently did a gig with my Mesa Mini Recrifier and managed with 2 channel amp when I kept the clean semi dirty, but the EVH is probably too buzzy for that trick of rolling off the volume pot to clean out, at least the 5150 was...I don't mean sparkly clean, but I guess what you'd call "pushed" on the Mesa.
I just wish they'd fix that design flaw once and for all, it's been a problem with those amps and the Peavey versions since day 1.