Hey, I'm currently saving up for a rig where I can play Metal for most of the time. But I also play some blues and rock. My budget is 1100 $ which equals to 10 000 swedish crowns. I hope you can help me with finding the best gear for me. Thanks!

Regards Keno
What type(s) of metal, and what type(s) of blues and rock?

When you say swedish crowns i'm guessing you're in Sweden? (that affects prices and availability)

Is it for home use or gigging or both? And if home use, how quietly do you have to play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Dave_Mc Its for home use, I want to ve able to crank up the amp and play with a drummer I play mostly trash, speed and heavy metal. I also play some blues rock and hard rock. Yes I live in Sweden.
What sort of amps have you currently looked at that you like the sound of?

For $1100, you have a lot of options. You need to be a bit more specific. What features are you looking for? How many channels? How important is a good clean tone? What wattage? any built in effects? Give us something to work with.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Well I'm new to the electric guitar scene, I have one shitty starter kit which is almost broken, I am not an experienced electric guitar player, so I havent listened to that much AMPs. So we can say that I dont have an AMP. I wan't a decent clean tone but it's not the most important thing for me. I would like to have 2 channels for so that I can easily switcj between clean and distorted. I would like atleast 50 watts on the amp. I haven't really gotten in to the effects and pedal stuff yet but I'm trying to learn. But i would like to have distortion pedal. I need to get deeper in to the pedal world but I hope you can help me.
Last edited by Kenoooooo at Jun 19, 2017,
If you're really a total noob when it comes to amps, one place to start would be to do some research into what your favorite bands use, and see if you can acquire something similar.
Quote by TheSennaj
wanna be awesome and not like everyone else, and have an amp you'll want to keep even after you've learned the ropes a bit?  Go on Reverb and pick up one of those Sovtek Mig 50 or 60's.  Then get an overdrive, and pick up a cheap used cab.  You'll have fun with that one for a good while.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
edit: looks like you live in an amp desert  

My vote, go with a Jet City 50 watt and pick up a decent cab and an overdrive.  You'll be set. 
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by Kenoooooo
Dave_Mc Its for home use, I want to ve able to crank up the amp and play with a drummer I play mostly trash, speed and heavy metal. I also play some blues rock and hard rock. Yes I live in Sweden.

ok, thanks.

just to check, when you say a rig, do you mean you need a guitar too or do you just need an amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by Kenoooooo
Dave_Mc A guitar too

Ah. Usually when people refer to a guitar 'rig', they're normally just referring to the amp/cabinet/effects, not so much the guitar itself.

Have you gone to any guitar stores and tried anything out?
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by Kenoooooo
T00DEEPBLUE I really like the sound of Dave Mustaine. Is the Marshall CODE 50a good choice?

God no. The Code amps sound like ass.

What are your options in regards to using your computer as an amp sim, rather than buying a separate guitar amplifier? Is that something you'd be prepared to look into? While amp sims are nowhere near as user friendly as actual pieces of hardware, you can potentially get way higher quality tones with them for the money.

But if you just want something that's more approachable and easier to use, get a Peavey Vypyr if you're looking for a practice amp on the cheap. They're not phenomenal, but they're still the best practice amp modeller for their price range, especially when it comes to higher gain tones.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by Kenoooooo
T00DEEPBLUE If I get the  Peavey Vypyr  which guitar would be the optimal with the AMP?

There's no such thing as the 'optimal guitar' for any setup. It totally depends on your personal taste.

I'll ask again; have you gone to a guitar store and played a bunch of guitars to find out what you like yet? Because otherwise; how are you supposed to know what you like in terms of guitars if you haven't played any yet?
Quote by TheSennaj
T00DEEPBLUE I have played some of the basic models like the Fender Start and Tele they were nice but not for me, Epiphone LP i really liked it. Well I think i need to go to the store and try out the Ibanez guitars, some SG's and explorers. I really like the look of the explorer but i haven't played one yet.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no such thing as the 'optimal guitar' for any setup. It totally depends on your personal taste.

I'll ask again; have you gone to a guitar store and played a bunch of guitars to find out what you like yet? Because otherwise; how are you supposed to know what you like in terms of guitars if you haven't played any yet?

I'll second this.

When I had my Orange rig I went in to the shop to replace my ESP, with the anticipation of getting an LP.  I walked out with a rickenbacker.  All my friends said "you can't play metal with a ricky" - to hell I cant

If it feels good then crank the damn amp and play away.  
-Matt Fucking Pike
i'd look at an Epiphone G-400 (SG style) for a guitar as it can cover all bases. this is tough as i have no idea what prices are like in Sweden.  as far as amps go  maybe a Boss Katana would work or a Peavey VIP series. the Jet City mentioned would be a great choice if you don't mind not having built in fx. 
monwobobbo I have had a look at the Epiphone G-400 it's really cheap here it only costs 295 $. I really love the looks of it.
Quote by Kenoooooo
monwobobbo I have had a look at the Epiphone G-400 it's really cheap here it only costs 295 $. I really love the looks of it.

looks are great but how it feels and sounds are more important. it's not perfect for more extreme metal but is a decent compromise in terms of what it can cover well. not sure if they are available whre you are but if you like SG style guitars then the Vintage VS6 might be a good guitar for you. i have one and prefered it to the Epiphone version. 
yeah if you want to go tube it'll be hard to beat jet city since thomann usually has really good prices on them. get the jca50H head, harley benton g212 vintage cabinet, a speaker cable and maybe a cheap overdrive as a boost (boss sd1 or one of the many tubescreamer clones), and that'll set you back around 600-700 dollars, which would still leave you 400 dollars for a guitar (which'll stretch to those epiphones, at least).

as long as you're ok with tubes and know about the maintenance thing.
I'll throw out some suggestions to mix metal, cleans, and Europe.  

Amps:  Laney IronHeart, ENGL (almost anything you can afford), Good ol' Marshall DSL40 with a  boost would work depending on the "metal".  

You will probably want a boost pedal for almost any amp you buy - the Joyo Vintage Overdrive is $30 new and works fine - it's a Maxon / Ibanez tubescreamer clone.  I think the Harley Benton version is the same pedal in Europe.  

Guitars:  Sounds like you definitely want 2 humbuckers.  The ESP LTD 1000 Series used is a good option and great value.  The ESP LTD 400 Series will work as well, Jackson Pro Series used, Jackson Dinky Made in Japan used - DK2, DKMG, DKMGT.  

I'd spend more on the amp than any single guitar in most cases. 

If you need a cabinet, the Harley Benton VINTAGE series is a great deal from Thomman - comes with Celestion Vintage30 speaker(s).  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Given you inexperience I would agree the Peavey Vypyr  is a good choice, lots of versatility, ability to connect to your computer, headphones, and loud enough to play with a drummer - get the VIP 3 with the 12" speaker. It will definitely handle your thrash and metal needs and give you a decent amount left for a guitar.

I have never been a fan of SG guitars, not the looks or the feel and would not be my first pick for a predominantly metal player, but get your hands on one and see what you think. If you really like it you can order some better pickups for it from Thomann along with the amp. About 200Euro will get you most EMG or Seymour Duncan pickup sets.

My suggestion would be as follows (prices based off Thomann website)
AMP
Peavey Vypry VIP 3 - 3306.82 Crowns

Guitars (Pick One)
Jackson SCX MG - 6623.39
Jackson SLATXMG3-6 - 6428.29
LTD EC256 or MH-100 - 4438.35 crowns + pickup set 2200 crowns

basically brings you right in on budget. If you are fine with the LTD or the Epi SG without the pickup change then you could afford to do the Jet City 50W head and Harley Benton 212 cab with Vintage 30s + an overdrive.

gear links
https://www.thomann.de/se/peavey_vypyr_vip_3.htm
https://www.thomann.de/se/jackson_x_series_scx_mg_satin_black.htm
https://www.thomann.de/se/jackson_slatxmg3_6_soloist_trb.htm
https://www.thomann.de/se/esp_ltd_ec256_blk.htm
https://www.thomann.de/se/esp_ltd_mh_100qm_nt.htm
https://www.thomann.de/se/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
https://www.thomann.de/se/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm
I think my suggestion costs about 1300, but I think it would be worth the extra 200. Get a Fender MIM standard fat strat (humbucker at the bridge). It is great for blues and for metal. The single coil neck pickup is great for solos! The guitar should be good, and not only as a beginner even for a gigging musician, and it should give you a great 10 years before a major service is required. The pickups should be fine too. If you do not like them you can upgrade later on. These are great guitars and even if you end up getting an American made instrument or decide to buy something else, it is a good instrument that can still be used.

I would suggest a DSL40C as a general purpose amp. The speaker is not the best speaker but the amp is decent and would get you started. Later on, by investing another 100-150 to replace the speaker you would unleash the real potential of the amp.

As much as I am a pedalhead, I would not recommend basing your rig on pedals. Your rig should be based around your guitar and amp. Pedals should only be used to flatter a great sound.

I would be happy to gig with this setup. It can go close to the sounds of early Metallica, Iron Maiden, Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple and a lot more.
guitarsngear Well what about the Epiphone Explorer with the EMG's? Since my guitar store dosen't have any of those Guitars in stock but they have the Epiphone.
For metal it should work, but for blues nothing beats a Fender Stratocaster. So if you can find a fat strat made in Mexico you should be on a good way
Quote by Gab_Azz
For metal it should work, but for blues nothing beats a Fender Stratocaster. So if you can find a fat strat made in Mexico you should be on a good way

Joe bonamassa and Peter green might disagree. HSS strats are good but let's not be to cliche.
Quote by monwobobbo
Joe bonamassa and Peter green might disagree.  HSS strats are good but let's not be to cliche.

They are great musicians and can make it work, but in general, starts are more suited for blues. They are also more versatile.
Quote by Gab_Azz
They are great musicians and can make it work, but in general, starts are more suited for blues. They are also more versatile.

Nonsense. Strats were hardly the first choice of guitars for the blues greats in the 50s / early 60s (yes a few used them but just a few).
Again the. Idea that strats are "better" for blued just not true. Hell I use a BC Rich Eagle which is hardly the first guitar that comes to mind.
Quote by monwobobbo
Nonsense. Strats were hardly the first choice of guitars for the blues greats in the 50s / early 60s (yes a few used them but just a few).  
Again the. Idea that strats are "better" for blued just not true. Hell I use a BC Rich Eagle which is hardly the first guitar that comes to mind.

Actually for a jazz tone I use an ESP Explorer with EMG through a fender tube amp. Strats are comfortable as they are light and have all the cuts in the right places. Strats produce some great tones that humbucker guitars cannot. Also, LP style guitars are easier to play than strats due to the shorter scale length and fretboard.
Quote by Gab_Azz
Actually for a jazz tone I use an ESP Explorer with EMG through a fender tube amp. Strats are comfortable as they are light and have all the cuts in the right places. Strats produce some great tones that humbucker guitars cannot. Also, LP style guitars are easier to play than strats due to the shorter scale length and fretboard.

i'm a Strat guy and if you had looked in my profile you'd have seen i own a few. my pic shows me playing one as well.  my point was more that playing a strat for blues has become a bit of a cliche as every SRV wannabe does. Strats can do damn near anything