Hey, I just started playing guitar 10 days ago. Right now I can play open chords, some minor and #, I can smoothly shift from 1 chord to another, I can play some songs(4 to be exact), and some strumming patterns. But now the problem is that I don't know what should I do next, I know that there is a ton to learn and I know nearly nothing but I can't find from where should I start, what should be my next step? So,Can you guys guide me with your experience and tell me what should I do next(and should I get a book to read theory)?
Last edited by dixitakarsh at Jun 19, 2017,
Learn how to finger-pick - one of the best decisions I made when I started out.
I think you are making very good progress for 10 days.

I'm also a fingerpicker, but I sometimes regret (like when I'm listening to Tony Rice) not learning to flatpick as well. Still, there are not many that I consider to be good at both.

What genres or guitarists interest you? I think that should guide your learning plan. I would certainly start reading up on theory, though I can't help with suggestions because it is such a long time since I did it.
Tony DoneHey, thanks for the reply. I like watching Tommy Emmanuel(who doesn't?), and am more into slow and melodious stuff( I like rock music and electric guitars, but a acoustic guitar playing "dust in the wind" sounds better to me). And I tried finger picking but the sounds was so soft and low that only I can hear it,lol😁

Edit:- I practise for 3-4 hours a day(holidays😊).
Garthmanhey,thanks for the suggestion. I tried finger picking but can't really figure out the way to use my finger for strumming to produce a good sound(loud I mean). So do you have any suggestion from where should I start learning finger style?( maybe a book name or something else like that)
Quote by dixitakarsh
PSimonR Thanks, I saw that video but am unable to find his next lesson on finger style.

Try here

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/FO-000-Folk.php

He calls it Folk fingerstyle but fingerstyle is fingerstyle (at least at a basic level, you might want to look for blues or jazz versions later, but I suggest you learn this first)
For strumming with fingers I use the back of my index nail for the down stroke, and the back of the thumbnail for the upstroke Might feel odd at first but now I prefer it over a pick.

As for low volume, it will be quieter with skin. You can grow your nails though for more volume.
I don't strum much either tbh. In fact, I'm not very good rhythmically with my strumming (I always seem to slightly rush the upstroke). But no surprise there as I don't practice it.
Finger picking to me takes more concentration than I can muster. I'd rather just strum away. I wish I could finger pick because it sounds awesome(like 2 guitars) when done well. I have tried to learn a few easier finger picking songs (Dust in the Wind, Blackbird, Fast Car) but didn't have the patience.
hotrodney71 

There was a time, in my naive youth (in the mid '60s), when I thought that fingerpicking was in some way superior to plectrum playing, probably because the genres that interested me, folk and acoustic blues, didn't showcase plectrum playing. Now I believe that they equally demanding if done well, and need a lot of practice to develop the necessary muscle memory - you don't think about what your fingers are doing most of the time. If ya like rhythm playing, listen to RL Burnside.
Quote by dixitakarsh
Garthmanhey,thanks for the suggestion. I tried finger picking but can't really figure out the way to use my finger for strumming to produce a good sound(loud I mean). So do you have any suggestion from where should I start learning finger style?( maybe a book name or something else like that)

I learned a few basic and simple picking patterns from a book (no web back then) and, over the years, developed my own styles. I use (95% of the time) my thumb for the bass strings (6th, 5th, 4th) and my 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers for the 3rd, 2nd and 1st strings respectively. It's called the "classical" style apparently but I found it by accident. After all these years my digits work more or less independently on demand - useful for introducing passing notes within a chord, etc.. I don't do much strumming - when I do I use the side of my thumb often bringing the edge of the thumbnail into play. I also use my thumbnail for some simple flatpicking. 

I do use a plectrum very occasionally - usually on my 12 string. 
Last edited by Garthman at Jun 27, 2017,