I have two guitars sitting in my studio that I've been thinking about restoring.  

But before I get too ahead of myself I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or resources on authenticating old Gibson guitars and their serials.  From what I've read the Gibson Serial number registry got pretty funky in the early days.  I've looked at a couple websites and found some info, but I'm hoping to find a resource that may be a bit more legit.  

Thanks
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
What models and approximate years are they? IIRC, this is the site I found some info on my old L-00:

http://www.guitarhq.com/

I have spent a lot of money getting mine into good working order (replace bracing, fretboard, bridge), but none of it has gone on cosmetics. It looks just the same as when I bought it, except for a fair few more dings.
I believe they are twenties model L1's.  Both are flat tops, one is marked "the gibson," the other has no markings.  I'd do what you did, restore for working order but outside leave be.  They have 4 digit serials inside the guitar @ the heel.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Tony Done Cool good looking out.  I'll dig in to it.
-Matt Fucking Pike