Evil has degrees
18 60%
Evil is objective
5 17%
Evil is subjective
21 70%
Voters: 30.
Page 1 of 3
Is evil something that is absolute and an absolute standard applied to it? For example, killing person A is absolutely evil. Or is it subjective and something that depends on your worldview, for example taxation is evil.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
yes and no
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
evil itself has to have a 'totalness' to it that allows it to be defined as such

tbh it's too hot and I can't be pissed to do any thinking
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Evil is a social convention and as such means different things to different people

my position is that moral statements suffer presupposition failure
Have you not deconstructed morality yet?

Fucking scrub
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Evil is absolute but only because we're a civilized society.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Some evil is absolute e.g. murdering children or torturing people for fun is 100% evil and anyone who disagrees is an edgelord

Tax is an example of subjective/necessary evil
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
Some evil is absolute e.g. murdering children or torturing people for fun is 100% evil and anyone who disagrees is an edgelord

no u just think that that stuff is evil, but there is no absolute morality which tells you that such an act is evil or 'wrong'. morality is a construction of the human mind which allows us to categorise how we feel about things. the person who tortures and kills must therefore feel differently about evil, perhaps they think evil is when someone doesn't keep their word or if someone doesn't worship an abrahamic God.

evil means nothing. morality is a concept which is completely fabricated according to individual human emotion... in particular because it corresponds to a morality. it dont mean shit in absolute terms, like how a 'tree' means something absolute, or 70 degrees celcius means something absolute, or how 10cm means something absolute.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Evil is absolutely subjective
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

ETR, once again trying to grasp at low-hanging fruit by asking such asinine questions, fishing for someone to come up with a contrarian opinion so he can argue with them.

The sad thing is he feels like he's really achieving something in doing so.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
ETR, once again trying to grasp at low-hanging fruit by asking such asinine questions, fishing for someone to come up with a contrarian opinion so he can argue with them.

The sad thing is he feels like he's really achieving something in doing so.

sounds like you're triggered mate 😂 😂 😂

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
sounds like you're triggered mate 😂 😂 😂

See?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
the crying with laughing emoji confirmed as absolute evil

Quote by laid-to-waste
no u just think that that stuff is evil, but there is no absolute morality which tells you that such an act is evil or 'wrong'. morality is a construction of the human mind which allows us to categorise how we feel about things. the person who tortures and kills must therefore feel differently about evil, perhaps they think evil is when someone doesn't keep their word or if someone doesn't worship an abrahamic God.

evil means nothing. morality is a concept which is completely fabricated according to individual human emotion... in particular because it corresponds to a morality. it dont mean shit in absolute terms, like how a 'tree' means something absolute, or 70 degrees celcius means something absolute, or how 10cm means something absolute.

What kind of tree?
Quote by JackSaints

Saying that evil is absolute but only in some cases would be the same as saying evil is subjective, would it not?

Evil cannot be absolute if taxation is evil sometimes.
The Holocaust is evil but taxes aren't evil imo
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
morality was a necessary condition for civilisation. infaticide is common in the animal kingdom, but no-one puts lions in prison.

STOP THE LIONS NOW!
Evil is only evil in the eyes of the people who aren't being evil.

Respect for life is not a universal or historical truth.  We manage civilization by means of ethics and morality.  "Moral" people still pray to a god and read the good book which people burnt for, and were flayed for, among other things.  We swear on a book in court that has killed more people by "Moral" practitioners than any other thing in history.  The very worship of such a thing could be construed as evil.  Ethical people make sure to tell you they are ethical because they don't wan't to be aligned with organized religion.  The fabric of their ethos is from the same silk.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by neidnarb11890
subjectivity is objective lmao

Absolutely  
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Duaneclapdrix
What kind of tree?
ok ur right u bitch u happy now? i shouldnt have said tree i should have said 70kg
Ok long post coming on

The concept of evil can be found nowhere in what might be called "the real" such that it would necessarily be part of the fabric of the universe. If morality is objective then it must in a sense be this - objective, a part of reality. This does not manifest itself in any way except feelings better explained as evolutionary customs built upon mutual dependence and group preference. 

If evil is an objective thing, we would surely have some means of detecting it - surely something radically different to our other sense organs, for it would be in itself, as a conceptual and metaphysical entity that would be part of the fabric of the universe, radically different to any other thing we have the capacity to sense. Yet outside of an intersubjective sphere (culture, time period), we do not. And as should be evident, intersubjectivity is not the same as objectivity.

That is to say, were humanity to go extinct, the notion of evil within the confines of human understanding would also go extinct, and the metaphysics of it all are at best functionally nonexistent.

With that in mind, what we call "good" and "evil" seem to fundamentally change according to whomever defines them - there seems to be no agreement to what evil is between different value systems (or even just places and times as before). Further to that people define the word and concept itself very differently, and polysemy seems an inadequate explanation for this (e.g. "evil is the absence of good" or "evil is the opposite of good"). So if there is no agreement, we have to look at the first point about objectivity. While one might claim that evil is an objective fact they have not even (strong and well-justified) reason to back this up, and there is no evidence whatsoever to support it outside of a system of mutual dependencies that work according to the general preferences of the greatest number of people in a given society.

As such it is very difficult to logically - and likely impossible evidentially - to justify a belief in moral realism (good and evil being objective) without resorting to flawed teleologies and endlessly cyclical metaphysics or theology. But that's hardly a bad thing; it just means that humans are free agents and are able to understand the universe from a myriad of perspectives rather than a singular one.

In terms of absolutes, if morality or evil (really this is about morality by the looks of things itt) is in the least subjectivist in nature, then it is only an absolute if it is made to be. You might make some difficult situaitons for yourself by following absolutism but at the same time, if you have integrity/consistency it probably makes a lot of difficult judgments a lot easier to deal with (for example a person killing a high school shooter is necessarily committing an evil act, even if it prevents more of them happening). Relativistically speaking, evil tends to be called something that is preferentially negative, assumed to be preferentially negative, or which exists as radically opposite to or absent of those things and the ideology of a particular subject depending on their particular upbringing and individually-developed beliefs and values.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Evil is absolute. Meaning if something is evil that it simply is evil. 

You might say what about situation X! Consider situation X: in situation X action A is evil. Now consider situation Y: in situation Y A is not evil. Does this prove that evil is subjective? No, for in X, A is evil there is no way around it. In Y it is not evil and there is no way around it. 

Something can't be half-evil. It either is or it isn't. 
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Evil is absolute. Meaning if something is evil that it simply is evil. 

You might say what about situation X! Consider situation X: in situation X action A is evil. Now consider situation Y: in situation Y A is not evil. Does this prove that evil is subjective? No, for in X, A is evil there is no way around it. In Y it is not evil and there is no way around it. 

Something can't be half-evil. It either is or it isn't. 

pls no

it's not about the same thing ("A") being evil in one circumstance but not evil in another, it's about one person perceiving something to be evil, but another person perceiving the same thing to not be. something is either evil or it isnt... to the individual. but you may think differently to how i think. actually, you may even change your own mind in the future. hence evil is subjective.
Idk but this game looks cool

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Who knows. But I'm a pragmatist so in the event that I come to the conclusion that yes, evil is objective and absolute (subjective = arbitrary = who cares = nonexistent) I live my life in a way that I feel could fall under the category of "ethical".
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Morality being a human construct and not absolute is part of the basis of Nihilism. I actually agree that it is subjective.
Quote by laid-to-waste
ok ur right u bitch u happy now? i shouldnt have said tree i should have said 70kg

People are still working on more precise definitions of the kilogram so there are subtle changes even in that...

Yeah, I'm grasping at straws there, but shh.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by 剣 斧 血
People are still working on more precise definitions of the kilogram so there are subtle changes even in that...

Yeah, I'm grasping at straws there, but shh.

yee i see what ur sayin but like it's absolute as a concept at least. scientifically it doesn't make sense for us to disagree about the weight of an object unless one or both of us are wrong, or if one of us has a different definition of kg... but there is no 'wrong' concept of evil.
Quote by Mr.Dissonant
I don't believe in free will, so I don't believe in evil. Come at me bros.
Ugh another fucking determinist

Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Evil stems from absolute morality. Since absolute morality is nonsense, so is evil. Good talk
Check out my band Disturbed
I bet no two people who believe in objective morality would completely agree on what the rules of morality would be
Quote by smb
I bet no two people who believe in objective morality would completely agree on what the rules of morality would be

Objectivity doesn't rely on consensus, though. That's a faulty argument. 
Check out my band Disturbed
I'm with Kant, in that I think morality is rooted in treating human beings as ends unto themselves rather than as means to the ends of others. There definitely is such a thing as absolute evil IMO and it, conversely, is rooted in treating human beings as things.
Death to Ovation haters!
Page 1 of 3