Page 1 of 3
We should be compassionate and kind but ngl I'm finding them irritating and getting sick of smelling them/ listening to their crazy person babbling or asking for money.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
We should be compassionate and help them out but it isn't on individual to help them out, it should be a community effort ideally the state helping them out. Th

I've lost 3 quid recently from homeless people essentially mugging me. One came up to me walking home at night at 11pm and asked me for money so I gave him a quid so I wouldn't get beaten up. The same also happened in the city centre recently too. Finally a one man arm came through a train carriage and shouted at me to give him money so I gave him a quid so he'd go away. They're so crazy and irritating to normal people just binding our own business and it shouldn't be on individual people to keep them going to the next day.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
so sick of the hobos
-thrashtastic15

Quote by EndTheRapture51
We should be compassionate and help them out but it isn't on individual to help them out, it should be a community effort ideally the state helping them out. Th

I've lost 3 quid recently from homeless people essentially mugging me. One came up to me walking home at night at 11pm and asked me for money so I gave him a quid so I wouldn't get beaten up. The same also happened in the city centre recently too. Finally a one man arm came through a train carriage and shouted at me to give him money so I gave him a quid so he'd go away. They're so crazy and irritating to normal people just binding our own business and it shouldn't be on individual people to keep them going to the next day.

So you were asked for money twice and then so annoyed that you gave someone money. Definitely 'essentially' a mugging.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
I dont really mind them but I can see why they can be an issue in certain areas.

Personally I give them what I can if I have anything on me but if theyre being aggressive I tend to pass and tell them I have nothing.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I dont really mind them but I can see why they can be an issue in certain areas.

Personally I give them what I can if I have anything on me but if theyre being aggressive I tend to pass and tell them I have nothing.

"No, I have nothing!"
I don't have an 'issue' with them, but round Oxford especially lots of them just lie and tell you some bullshit story to get you to give them money. 

As a result I can't fully trust any of them, so rarely, if ever, give any money. 
I've been in NYC dressed business professional for a few hours so I've been asked about a hundred times for money. I'm on Wall Street right now so I haven't been asked for a while.
Free Ali
Free Lard
I'll give money if they're missing a limb or something. If it's just some chubby dude like "I need money to get home" or whatever, you're SOL bro.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ultimate-slash
"No, I have nothing!"

Dude thats what pocket sand is for.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Where I live there are too many panhandlers begging for money on the highway exits to know which ones are truly homeless and which ones are just to lazy to work, I have too many of them pack it up and the end of the day walk over to a nice car (better than mine) change there sjirt and shoes and put them and their sign in the trunk.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
Where I live there are too many panhandlers begging for money on the highway exits to know which ones are truly homeless and which ones are just to lazy to work, I have too many of them pack it up and the end of the day walk over to a nice car (better than mine) change there sjirt and shoes and put them and their sign in the trunk.

We had a homeless lady like that. She lived in a nicer house than mine
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
From my car as I drive by without giving them a second glance.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
I've met many (and worked with a small amount). Some rather caused their situation. Some had poor fortune, and worked hard to get out of their situation. They usually failed because they lacked the resources, correct manner of speaking and image to appeal to job interviewers. Some were in-between.

I don't really have an opinion on what should be done. Depends on your ideology.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Homeless people all need help in some way or another and the government/local councils/whoever should probably do more to get them off the streets, because I'm not going to give them my precious pennies

The problem is, a lot of homeless people don't really help themselves. E.g. I was out with some friends once and they gave loads of money to some homeless girl so she could get some food and a room for a night or two and later we saw her walking around with a nice new bottle of whiskey instead. 
I have nothing important to say
I worked as a "guide" in a city and had a lot of contact with the homeless.
There were essentially 2 basic types, those that chose the life, and those who did not choose it, and struggling due to "bad luck" drugs or mental/emotional problems.

Of those groups I tended to break them into categories of "dangerous" and "harmless".
Dangerous could be anything from highly aggressive, deranged, to sick with TB or other contagions.

Over all most of them were decent, if you could get past their troubles and see the person there.

A couple of stories, I had worked as a cook and gotten off work was waiting for the bus and all sweaty/dirty sitting on the concrete.
Homeless guy I had talked to when I was a guide saw me, walks up and gives me 5$.
He thought I was homeless.

Another time sitting in a bar next to a homeless guy counting change trying to pay for his beer, I said "I got that" all mister nice guy and shit, he says thanks and we talked for a while.
Then he gets up to leave, takes out a roll of bills that was more than I made in a month leaves a tip and walks out, fucking bartender was laughing at the look on my face.

Lastly we had these SMH characters, one of whom got a monthly check from general assistance, a check because he was part Indian, and a 3rd check I don't know what for.
So at the beginning of the month this guy had ~2K on him, he didn't have a bank account so he kept it on him, would go out get drunk, get rolled, and be broke by the 3rd of the month.
Spent the rest of the month begging, and flat refused to get a bank account because "he didn't trust them".
Last edited by 33db at Jun 20, 2017,
We should clear out a small state in every country and just shove all the hobos, jobless drug addicts, and hardened criminals in one space. No laws, no rules, just let them battle it out and do whatever they want. Pretty sure this idea came from George Carlin or some other half baked standup comedian.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad
We should clear out a small state in every country and just shove all the hobos, jobless drug addicts, and hardened criminals in one space. No laws, no rules, just let them battle it out and do whatever they want. Pretty sure this idea came from George Carlin or some other half baked standup comedian.

Only half?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
If they're pleasant I don't mind getting them something to eat. Definitely not gonna help the guy who followed me around and said I was an n-word if I didn't give him the pizza I was eating at the time.

I always say hi if they acknowledge me because I see them every day. Most of them keep to themselves though.
cat
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Only half?

Yeah you're right, that dude must have been tripping balls. Too bad "full baked" isn't a term to describe how wonky an idea is
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)

Quote by Victory2134
So you were asked for money twice and then so annoyed that you gave someone money. Definitely 'essentially' a mugging.

When you're on your own at night and someone's who bigger than you and looking somewhat unhinged asks you for money there's definitely coercion, especially when one of them is screaming in your face.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
working graveyard shifts downtown means i get a pretty good view of the homeless, so
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by k.lainad

Carlin's idea was to isolate all violent criminals in a massive concrete enclosure, and feed them nothing but whiskey and PCP.

Carlin's solution to provide housing to the homeless was to remodel all golf courses in the country into housing units, because golf is an obscene waste of space for the rich to hoard.
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Quote by Zaphikh
Carlin's idea was to isolate all violent criminals in a massive concrete enclosure, and feed them nothing but whiskey and PCP.

Carlin's solution to provide housing to the homeless was to remodel all golf courses in the country into housing units, because golf is an obscene waste of space for the rich to hoard.

Ah, there we go lol
I need to rewatch some more classic GC !
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Carlin was a proto-fedora cringelord.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
The ivory tower in which I live is too tall for them to be visible to the naked eye.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by EndTheRapture51
When you're on your own at night and someone's who bigger than you and looking somewhat unhinged asks you for money there's definitely coercion, especially when one of them is screaming in your face.
That's not technically coercion that you felt uncomfortable, but perhaps you could carry some sort of item for personal defense???? Oh wait

I've got 2 items for self defense.

It's called left fist and right. 

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by seanlang01
That's not technically coercion that you felt uncomfortable, but perhaps you could carry some sort of item for personal defense???? Oh wait

Nah I'm okay

positive post:

I met this person about almost two years ago in a gas station parking lot. he told me one of those stories that honestly I assumed was at least partially fake to get money, but I usually give a little and he seemed sincere in his intentions.

I ended up moving over in that area so I started to see this guy more often. I didn't mind helping him because I knew if I gave him money he would use it for food or other things he really needed. On a few occassions he came into my restaraunt not to ask for money but to buy food because by that point we had a sort of rapport established.

One night I'm walking home and he tells me he has nobody to go to and I'm the only trustworthy person he knows. But he is in a good mood and gets a laptop out of his suitcase and shows me the music he's been working on and I was legitimately impressed by it. He then tells me the full story and shows me some pictures and it all seemed to add up despite me assuming it was at least partially bullshit months earlier.

A few weeks after that he is clearly on the verge of sobbing, hands me his laptop, and tells me he trusts me with it more than himself and that he's contemplating suicide. We talk for a minute and he gets better and keeps walking, though I felt a bit worried.

Some time after that though he comes by my work to say that he has found an informal living arrangement and that he interviewed for a job and that he thinks it went well. I haven't seen him sense but I'm hoping that means he's doing well. Been meaning to stop by and see if I'm right.

might delete this because it is better left unspoken but it felt appropriate given the tone of the thread.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Were you really intimidated by a homeless guy who was missing an arm?
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola
Were you really intimidated by a homeless guy who was missing an arm?

Fun fact.

I went to school with somebody that was stabbed in the face by a homeless dude because he didn't want to give him a cigarette.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last time I helped, this guy he said he needed baby formula for his kid so me and my friend bought him some at a corner shop. Then later my friend looked it up and she said there's a big thing where they use it when making drugs, and I was just like fuck if I'm not giving away what little money I have anymore
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Homelessness in Portland has gotten so out of control, when I leave home I just imagine I'm in mad max and I'm surrounded my nothing but crazies.

I can sympathize, but as the problems increase, and as I become more and more personally threatened, I adopt a dog-eat-dog philosophy.  I go nowhere without my buck knife, and I've been known to take a bum for a 80+ mph ride as he hung off my tailgate.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
they're a symptom of our diseased society

I've had conversations with four homeless people this year, all of which were homeless due to their own bad choices. They need help, but the kind of help they need is expensive and time consuming, and there's no guarantee that it'll even work. It's a very tough situation with no real right answer
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
I work with the homeless in a monthly outreach and have gotten to know many of them on a more personal level.  We provide food, clothing, blankets, hygiene products, free medical exams and treatment, life counseling, and games and programs for the kids. They run full spectrum:

Homeless by choice- They simply prefer to be outside mainstream society.  Many are bright and articulate with past good jobs and many have a regular income from disability, social security, or other means.  They choose not to work and don't want to be part of mainstream society.

Homeless by circumstance-  Poor life choices or past drug issues caused these people to become homeless and many are willing to work towards re-entering mainstream society.  Community shelters, day labor opportunities, food and clothing give them a hand up to re-enter society and many do.  These are best handled by local organizations to relieve poverty including churches, service clubs etc.

Homeless criminals, addicts, or mentally ill-  These are the desperate and dangerous ones that really need to be off the street.  There needs to be a place for them with supervision and/or caretakers to keep them separated from society until they can overcome their issues and be safe to live on their own again.  We used to have institutions for these adults separated by violent vs non-violent and it seemed to work pretty well.  There are halfway houses that offer supervised residents a place to live as they get their lives together.  Many mentally ill will never re-enter mainstream society and this needs to be a government institution to keep the peace and care for those who cannot care for themselves. 

My recommendations when you meet homeless on the street:

-Never ever give pan handlers money.  Many are struggling with substance abuse and this only enables them and causes them to become more bold.  Exceptions are those providing a service like busking with a musical performance, dance, magic tricks,  drawing caricatures, or other street performance.  This is non-violent street art that should be encouraged.

-Give a sandwich if they are hungry or a coat if they look cold.

-Direct them to a nearby shelter or service organization so the ones looking for a hand up can get real sustained help.

- Never put them in your car or take them home with you.

- If one is acting violent or engaging in a crime, call 911 and let the police handle it. 

- If one needs immediate medical attention, call 911 and let the 1st responders handle it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If I have cash on me I'll usually give a little. 
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Nah I'm okay
Thats why we need guns, fuckin murderers everyone.

Page 1 of 3