Hello Guys!

I've sold my latest amplifier and now considering to buy a new one but instead of digital/solid state stuff, I would like to buy a tube amp. It is mostly for home use, and recently the two most favourable for me is the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18w head and the ENGL gigmaster 15w head. I would like to ask for your oppinions, advices, which one to choose.

As I stated it's mostly for bedroom, so the power attenuator is quite important. With the H&K I could use headphones via the Red Box and a USB soundcard, which is also good for me. The expensive footswitch of the ENGL is a drawback... can the gigmaster work with another two way footswitch, or just the ENGL Z4? And what I would like to play with the amplifiers? Mostly hard rock and metal from the '80 for example Saxon or British Steel era Judas Priest, so stuff like NWOBHM or Metallica and rest... So a good (and footswichable) clean channel and a distorted/high gain channel is in my goals. I would really appreciate your oppinions, and thanks fo your replies in advance!
Last edited by gabesz92 at Jun 20, 2017,
I mean we really don't do vs threads and to be fair, they're both very different amps. Also why is power attenuation important? Both of those amps are MV amps and they work more than sufficiently. The amps might not sound as good at more quiet volumes but it won't be unusable or awful either.

So you're aim is 2 channels, classic rock/classic metal tones and home playing? What's your current gear now, are you planning on gigging, are you willing to buy used, what's your location and does it really have to be tube? Also what is your budget?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'm going t modify the title than, to be more fair
I understand your oppinion about the power attenuator...

Current gear:
currently no amp, a Cort KX5 modified with Seymour Duncan Blackfire pickup (and preamp) set.

In the future it is possible, that I would like to gig, but at the moment only bedroom playing. If I'm going to gig it will be only small clubs. I would like to buy new amp.
I'm living in Europe - Hungary.
I would like a tube amplifier yes, so no solid state.
My budget is around 600-700 $ or 600 Euro (roughly because of the currency conversion)

Thanks for your reply
Last edited by gabesz92 at Jun 27, 2017,
H&K or ENGL purchasing advice

Easy.

run away.
Buy something else.
run run run
See gabesz92 run.
If you want ENGL, look at the E530 - it's a preamp with I think a 2W power amp built into it.  If you gig, buy a power amp.   I have no experience with the GigMaster however.  

I'd add the Laney IronHeart IRT-STUDIO into your short list too.  It can do what you want but you get 3 channels and all of the USB goodness.  It's a 15W / <1W amp so if you gig just mic it or run it straight to the board.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
just in case you don't know, both of those are hybrid- a lot of people don't care, and some would say the tubes are, more or less, in the most important places (they're a lot more tube than glorified solid state amps like the marshall valvestates... they're about 50:50 tube:solid state), but they're not genuinely all-tube amps either if that's important to you.

get a jet city.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dspellman

And what have you got against H&K?

Typical Teutonic efficiency. Mine has external bias probe points for example. But as Dave-Mc says, they have a lot of SS, at least in the preamp. Anyway, I'm happy with mine, and I like it better than my amp tech mate's Princeton, for example.
Quote by dspellman
Easy.

run away.
Buy something else.
run run run
See gabesz92 run.

+1 that is between a rock and a hard place.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Tony Done
trashedlostfdup 

So we don't use analog or (heaven forbid) SS digital pedals?

never
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
So, I've surfed the net (forums and youtube) and checked the IRT Studio also. It's not bad, but it don't feels for me... I've found the Randall RD20H and maybe it could be a good sollution with a  EB VP-JR volume pedal or a power attenuator for versitality between bedroom and small gigs or band jam. I've also looked the EVH LBXII but it has less features as the previously mentioned H&K or the ENGL.

Also found in my country an ENGL E309 MetalMaster around 760 Euros (new amp) which is out of my budget but could be a good choice... What you would suggest, I would really like to hear your oppinion! Thanks in advance!
Last edited by gabesz92 at Jun 27, 2017,
I'd IRT Studio to this as well. Can't afford Mesa Mini I imagine? Reason I am asking is cause it will wipe the floor with all these.
Another one to look at would be the Orange Dark Terror or Dark Dual lunchbox heads.

If it has to be the two amps listed, I think the H&K would be better for mostly bedroom wanking.
Yeah, I can not afford a Mesa Mini (than there would be no question ) Dark terror would not do the job, only one channel and while Dual terror has two, it's overpriced without  a line out for example, for that money the ENGL E309 could be better, with more features.