Been looking into a good strat shaped guitar with humbuckers as the best guitar I have is mim strat all single coil.

I've taken a liking to PRS guitars quite a bit and am strongly considering purchasing one. I can't really afford to buy an American PRS right now unless the used prices as low as my budget. My budget is just about 800 USD and I really do want just a solid choice.

I've seen some of the 2010..or 09 models? used in GC for good prices (these don't have the bird inlay just the moon inlays) and it really makes no sense for me to get a new one if I could buy used.

As far as what I would be doing with it, I generally record, play in jazz band in college and jam with friends, I don't really gig much but assuming I did, would it be a solid guitar for all of that? I have no prob switching out the stock pups if they don't fit my sound but what about the axe itself? One of the used 2009 Se custom 24 is the one that caught my attention. I like PRS as it is, but would one of solid enough as, for lack of a better term, a jack of all trades type of guitar?
Should be a decent guitar in terms of quality. The worst I've heard is the pickups might be a tad underwhelming.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz I've heard the same about the pickups but my concern is just the axe itself. The question in my head is just "will it hold up."
Though not a strat shape I've looked at higher end Epi Les pauls but I feel that the PRS might be a bit better quality
PRE guitars should be able to handle the rigors most of us will throw at them. G&L has a couple of Strat-shaped axes with HBs- worth a look. Ditto Godin.

You should also check Reverb & eBay for Carvins like these:
https://reverb.com/item/5639239-carvin-dc400-blue-flame-maple
https://reverb.com/item/4183117-carvin-ct-3
https://reverb.com/item/5447531-carvin-dc400w-1990-s-satin-tung-oil
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Holcomb
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
Holcomb

^ A beauty.

If I'm not mistaken for $800 you can get the new 2017 SE Custom 24 models. Have a look into it, I think the pickups are an improvement on them too.
I've got a 2017 and i had an older one.The 2017 is better.The pickups are the Korean version of the 85/15's instead of the HFS in the older ones.They sound better to my ear.More clarity.I think the 2017's look better too.
Not sure what colour you like but i think the 'Trampas Green' looks real nice in person(dont go by the pics).You can also still get the exotic wood limited run.I have the ebony one.
Quote by danslip
I've seen some of the 2010..or 09 models? used in GC for good prices (these don't have the bird inlay just the moon inlays) and it really makes no sense for me to get a new one if I could buy used.

in this case, i'd go for a used CE, or even a barely used S2. but look around, GC is one of the last places i'd want to find a "deal" based on a small pic and appealing price. i think i'd sooner trust a small shop on reverb, although GC does have a pretty good return/refund policy if the guitar is messed up when you get it.
good luck!
SE's are some of the most solid import guitars on the market. The pickup, nut and tuners can usually use an upgrade, but even after doing that they are still a solid value. I have like $500 in this and it's a killer guitar.

ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Jun 22, 2017,
Quote by danslip
I like PRS as it is, but would one of solid enough as, for lack of a better term, a jack of all trades type of guitar?

Pretty much. The SEs have proven to be pretty good, quality-wise.
Quote by danslip
dannyalcatraz I've heard the same about the pickups but my concern is just the axe itself. The question in my head is just "will it hold up."
Though not a strat shape I've looked at higher end Epi Les pauls but I feel that the PRS might be a bit better quality

I don't think there's much of an issue with most guitars "holding up." There are $99 guitar teles that I'd guess would still be around with the coyotes and cockroaches after a nuclear exchange.
PRS CE's and core models are awesome.

SE's tend to be very nice guitars. my only gripe is that quite a few of the ones that I have played felt 'plasticy' with a really high glossy finish that always feels sticky to me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
SE should be solid, you could also just replace the pickguard on your strat with an HH one if you like the way it plays.
And what work in stone could compare with the majesty of trees?
Quote by AcousticMirror
Holcomb

I *like* that guitar, but it should be noted that there are three major differences between that and the rest of the PRS SE line...

One, it's got a 25.5" scale (most PRSi are 25"). Two, it's got a 20" radius fretboard. Since most PRS have a 10" radius, you'll notice that this fretboard is significantly flatter. And finally, it ships with SD Alpha and Omega pickups rather than PRS pickups. These are (IMHO) optimized for lower than standard tunings, and in fact the guitar ships tuned to Drop C with 10's.

BTW, I'm told that "SE" actually designated "Student Edition" when it was proposed by Carlos Santana. Izzat So? Anyone know for sure?
Quote by dspellman
I *like* that guitar, but it should be noted that there are three major differences between that and the rest of the PRS SE line...

One, it's got a 25.5" scale (most PRSi are 25"). Two, it's got a 20" radius fretboard. Since most PRS have a 10" radius, you'll notice that this fretboard is significantly flatter. And finally, it ships with SD Alpha and Omega pickups rather than PRS pickups. These are (IMHO) optimized for lower than standard tunings, and in fact the guitar ships tuned to Drop C with 10's.

BTW, I'm told that "SE" actually designated "Student Edition" when it was proposed by Carlos Santana. Izzat So? Anyone know for sure?

Yes the se stands for student edition and I've heard that story before.

The a/o are probably the best pickups that sd makes and they are 250 if you buy them which makes the Holcomb the best value in the line.

Quote by AcousticMirror
Yes the se stands for student edition and I've heard that story before.

The a/o are probably the best pickups that sd makes and they are 250 if you buy them which makes the Holcomb the best value in the line.

I'm not sure I buy into most parts of that -- one, the pickups are fine if you're downtuning, but not particularly great otherwise. It's a bit like the Nazgul/sentient in that regard. Second, I think most aftermarket pickups are priced according to what the company thinks they can get for them, not to anything related to their intrinsic value. Remember that, in bulk, there are almost no pickups worth more than five bucks (I dunno about SD's silver wire things). I think you're closer to a dollar or less if the pickups are built in Asia.

Pickups are, like perfume and purses, more a case of what the branding will get you.
Quote by dspellman
I'm not sure I buy into most parts of that -- one, the pickups are fine if you're downtuning, but not particularly great otherwise. It's a bit like the Nazgul/sentient in that regard. Second, I think most aftermarket pickups are priced according to what the company thinks they can get for them, not to anything related to their intrinsic value. Remember that, in bulk, there are almost no pickups worth more than five bucks (I dunno about SD's silver wire things). I think you're closer to a dollar or less if the pickups are built in Asia.

Pickups are, like perfume and purses, more a case of what the branding will get you.

In parts nothing is more then like 12 bucks. Even humans are mostly poo and pee. What's your point.

Quote by AcousticMirror
In parts nothing is more then like 12 bucks. Even humans are mostly poo and pee. What's your point.

There was a short story I read about a genie who could grant wishes only under $2 in value. When the story was written, the raw materials composing a human body totaled @$1.97...

Quote by AcousticMirror

The point is that when you typify the Holcomb as being the best "value in the line," by claiming that the pickups are $250 worth of "value," you're just stacking logos. No matter whether SD wants to charge $2.50 or $2500 for a set of pickups, they're still just time and materials and not very much of either.

Expensive perfume is a few cents worth of product, several bucks worth of packaging and a whole lot of marketing, advertising, photography, models and brainwashing, all to convince some woman that she should pay several hundred dollars. That doesn't mean that perfume is valuable.
Quote by dspellman
The point is that when you typify the Holcomb as being the best "value in the line," by claiming that the pickups are $250 worth of "value," you're just stacking logos. No matter whether SD wants to charge $2.50 or $2500 for a set of pickups, they're still just time and materials and not very much of either.

Expensive perfume is a few cents worth of product, several bucks worth of packaging and a whole lot of marketing, advertising, photography, models and brainwashing, all to convince some woman that she should pay several hundred dollars. That doesn't mean that perfume is valuable.

No but the Holcombs sound better and cost more then the standard se pickups. If you bought the holcombs yourself and added that cost to any other se it would cost more then the Holcomb.

Comparative value has nothing to do with what you are talking about.

The guitar costs 800 and the pickups are 250.

I'm normally a Gibson Les Paul fat 50's neck guy, I have two mid 90's Studios, a 2011 Traditional and a 2013 Traditional.  I bought a PRS SE Orianthi used on Ebay for $400 including shipping for something different.  After getting accustom to the flatter, thinner neck, it's a solid guitar.  Not crazy about the pickups, and I will likely replace them for some Seymour Duncan's (I'm thinking of some Alinco II's, probably Slash), but I really think you can't go wrong with this guitar, especially in that price range.    

Note - I've never used the vibrato bar, so I can't comment on it's tuning stability.  But using it as a 'hard tail', I haven't had any tuning issues.