So ive got a blackstar club 40 and i love it. I take it to my buddys house who plays drums and we like to jam out and cover some songs occasionally with a bassist.
But im sick of yanking that 50 lb box around everywhere with me worrying that im going to break a tube or something.
My only other amp is a fender 15 watt practice amp that i am thinking about going to take to jam with. And the distortion is complete ASS. Long time ago i bought a RAT and thats slightly better but its terrible in comparison to my blackstars distortion.
So i have two questions. First, will the 15 watt amp be heard over drums and maybe a bass? And second is there a good distortion pedal out there? Every pedal that ive heard sounds like fuzz or just shit. Im looking for one that can do high gain 80s-90s metal without sounding like fuzz and give a nice percussive palm mute. My RAT doesnt give me that nice thump from a meaty palm mute. Any suggestions?
15 watt solid state amp won't cut it so don't even bother
By "Fender 15 watt practice amp" I assume you mean one of their cheaper SS amps. They typically do not take drive pedals super well. And I think you will ultimately have volume issues. 80s-90s metal tones typically reside in the amp producing most of the gain, with a pedal like the TS9 to boost it a bit. Amptweaker's line of drives are known IIRC for sounding good in front of almost any amp.
Budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Ill probably try jamming with my fender once despite your warnings just so i know exactly how quiet it is. If it does suffice ill have to look into those amptweakers. But it most likely looks like ill be sticking with the blackstar.

Thanks guys
The closest I can come to that is a used Emma Pisdiyauwot:
https://reverb.com/item/3061825-emma-electronics-pisdiyauwot-distortion

It's a goood pedal for that kind of tone, but it probably wouldn't work well with your Fender, nor make your amp loud enough. Inexpensive solid state amps- especially modeling ones- tend not to take dirt pedals too well.

If you really want to lighten your load, you may need to invest in a new amp & cab or combo amp.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Yeah, good luck trying to keep up in volume, let alone in the low & low mid freqs with a 15w SS practice amp. Guessing it also has an 8" speaker?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
dude invest in weights if your current amp is to heavy  . you have an amp and what good is it if you don't use it. yeah you have to be careful but that should be a given wit your gear. buy a dolly to transport amp or something like that. really why buy a cheap amp to actually play with others. 
Quote by CENSORED.
dannyalcatraz
Got any ideas for what a smaller amp thats loud and good quality?

Yep. Budget?

put wheels on the amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The pedal you want to make the most of what you have is a tube screamer which work best with tube amps but you can use them with solid state. First of all do this....

Bridge pick up
Overdrive channel
High Gain

Don't scoop the mids but put them slightly over 12 like the highs. Dial back the bass if it gets too muddy.

That's the amps natural metal sound overdriven. You can them overdrive it even more with a tube screamer or use the TS to tighten up the sound.

The thing about owning a TS is that if we decide to get tubes or a new amp the TS will be even more viable.

Maxon/Boss/Ibanez take your pick with whatever players of this amp suggest.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
dannyalcatraz
Since it would be my secondary amp, probably $300. I dont want to sell my blackstar but that is a good idea putting wheels on it
Deermonic im afraid of having to use my small fender amps built in distortion due to it being terrible and idk if putting a drive pedal infront of the amps distortion would make it any better
For $300, I'd either go with trashedlostfdup's wheels or monwobobbo's ideas, leaning towards the latter:
https://www.uline.com/BL_1816/Folding-Hand-Trucks?keywords=folding%20hand%20trucks

Lol im plenty strong enough but its just a pain in the ass to carry around imo

If i were to put wheels in the 4 corners of the bottom of the amp, would i have to worry about hitting the speaker or any wires with screws?
I'm plenty strong, too, but wheels were invented for a reason!

I doubt there's much risk in mounting wheels directly on cabs, though. It's pretty common. I just prefer not to, since my amps tend to live on tables, etc,

Quote by CENSORED.
Lol im plenty strong enough but its just a pain in the ass to carry around imo

If i were to put wheels in the 4 corners of the bottom of the amp, would i have to worry about hitting the speaker or any wires with screws?

No.

It's commonly done on a lot of gig rigs.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
50lb isn't really that much.  Can you have the guy you're playing with help you unload it?  

Buy a dolly or just put casters on the amp.  

My Mesa Roadster is a 212 combo that weighs 99lbs.  It has handles and casters from the factory. . .  These removable casters actually - https://store.mesaboogie.com/products/caster-set-3-track-loc-removable.html

I used to own a Peavey 5150 212 combo that was also 100lbs and that was a bitch to move - no casters and the handles sucked.  

If you really want to get rid of weight take a page from dspellman and get a processor and powered wedge FRFR monitor speaker.  The whole rig should weigh about 20 pounds and you can have more watts than your guitar amp.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
this is an "out of left field" suggestions but why don't you leave your blackstar at your friends house and get a cheap modeler or soundcard for home? If you jam often, this could be a gamechanger for you and wouldn't cost you much
Put wheels on your amp or use a skateboard, mind the bumps in the road.
15 watts would cut it if it was a quiet drummer, but I wager it's an 8 inch speaker so probably not.

I can't stand distortion so I'm no help there, if you want a cheap OD pedal grab a Joyo classic OD for ~$25.
With the drive cranked I bet that 15 watt will distort great.
Fender practice amps don't take overdrive or distortion pedals well at all. I would think you should try an Ibby Tube Screamer if you want more punch...

Btw, BOSS Metal Zone = shit
I too thought about just leaving my amp there but we only play like once a week and i practice pretty much daily but its a viable suggestion.

I like the idea of removable caster wheels!

What is dspellmans set up with the frfr monitor?
A Fender Blues JR actually takes to pedals really well, if it has to be Fender, and I was even recording a rock band where the lead guitarist played one with a Jekkyll & Hyde. It sounded very good and worked with the volume of drums in the same room.

For something small & portable, I'd say go Orange, Laney or Mesa lunchbox head with a 1x12 if size is an issue. Personally, I'd just beef up by doing some weights and bench presses and keep on taking the Blackstar to practice.

BTW - if it is just the two of you, might as well get cheapo drum mics and a used mixer and go in the box. Might be another option.
Depends on the particular head. Quilter makes quality but tiny solid state amps ranging from 45-100w.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
put wheels on the amp.

Personally I never minded carrying the wieght of a combo in order to get the sound I wanted, hell my Mesa Roadster 2X12 weighs in at just under 100 lbs, TBF it does have both a top and two side handles so it can be carried solo or tandem it also has removable casters, I suppose it would suck if I was having to tackle a bunch of stairs.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Peavey Envoy 110 silver stripe or red stripe with transtube tech.. or Peavey Bandit 112 silver stripe or red stripe.. the made in USA Peavey are like tanks... works well and can take a beating.. the cleans are very nice.. the lead channel is very good too.. Peavey version of tube simulation in SS amp.. I own a Envoy 110 silver stripe modded with 12 inch speaker.. and Teal stripe.. first version teal stripe, followed by silver stripe and red stripe (both have better drive channel than the teal, but it depends on personal taste whether you like the silver or red).. Envoy 110 can be around $100 and Bandit is around $150 to $200.. sometimes it depends on luck and timing to get great deal.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
The Peavey Envoy with 10" speaker sucks ass. I mean, the amp is good but the small speaker kinda ruins it. I once considered turning mine into a minihead but instead I gave it to my niece when I bought her a guitar as a gift. Bandit however is pretty good for a money out of the box, cheap as chips in used market and built to last nuclear winter and works live too. Buy one and leave it at your practice space and if you start to gig it works great as a backup amp if your blackstar craps out for some reason.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
The Peavey Envoy with 10" speaker sucks ass. I mean, the amp is good but the small speaker kinda ruins it. I once considered turning mine into a minihead but instead I gave it to my niece when I bought her a guitar as a gift. Bandit however is pretty good for a money out of the box, cheap as chips in used market and built to last nuclear winter and works live too. Buy one and leave it at your practice space and if you start to gig it works great as a backup amp if your blackstar craps out for some reason.

The Envoy 110 Silver stripe which is the 2nd version MiA is 40-watts with 10inch speaker.. TAKE NOTE: mine has a 12inch speaker because previous owner modded it.. he removed the original 10inch speaker and put a 12inch Peavey speaker.. it sounds very very nice..

If you want more power.. get the Bandit 112, it's 80-watts with 12inch speaker.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by psp742
The Envoy 110 Silver stripe which is the 2nd version MiA is 40-watts with 10inch speaker.. TAKE NOTE: mine has a 12inch speaker because previous owner modded it.. he removed the original 10inch speaker and put a 12inch Peavey speaker.. it sounds very very nice..

If you want more power.. get the Bandit 112, it's 80-watts with 12inch speaker.

Price?
if your in the US, eBay, reverb, and other online sales have USED for affordable price...  I got mine for $90 including shipping.. there was a Envoy 110 red stripe for $50 + shipping the it cost less than mine.. i was thinking of getting it but thought against it since i have a Envoy 110 teal stripe too. teal stripe is the 1st version...  I do have regret not scooping up the deal thou..  I'm sure with patience you can find a Envoy110 then change the 10inch speaker to a 12inch speaker.. as long as it fits the body.. the 12inch in my Envoy fits exactly or barely.. 
your welcome CENSORED.  the newer made in China may be ok.. but i recommend getting the vintage made in USA.. teal stripe has good cleans, the silver stripe and red stripe also have great clean channel, the lead channel for both are nice but it depends on preference, some like the red stripe more than the silver