Hi, All newbie member here looking for some advice on a guitar head that will have enough headroom for doom,sludge, stoner metal bands like weedeater, coc, dopethrone, church of misery, electric wizard, 70s, zeppelin, heavy rock

currently have a 412 with fairly new set of texas heat /swamp thangs 
using a black arts tone works lstr,  crown of horns and quantum mystic for distortion and fuzz sounds

esp viper with p90s and esp ec50 with invaders

for the past year ive been using a randall rg1503 head, i only use the clean channel on the head, it sounded ok  but would distort. get fizzy at higher volume with my pedals and i sold the head last week so im looking for a new head soon.

im looking at these 3 heads so far as options because i can get them all for 400 or less, cant spend more than 400 on a head im poor and cant spend 450 must be 400 or less yeah its not enough money for real doom power but it all i got for awhile

peavey valveking  ii 100w tube 

jet city jca50h    50w tube

ornage cr120   120 watt solid state

i know most stoner doom stuff is head distortion and no pedals with a  marshall, orange, green, matamp, hiwatt or whatever high dollar head but im poor and cant go that route right now

since i have decent pedals im looking to use the clean channel on the head and need all clean the headroom and sustain i can get.

which leads me to think the peavey would have the most clean headroom for pedals   but

think i know the jet city will sounds better but worried it wont have enough headroom for the thick doom sound

orange is a toss up for me since its solid state  and figure its more like 120 watt randall head on headroom

So

which 1 of these heads would be my best bet for the most clean headroom for live playing venues and be hear over a loud loud 24" ride cymbal drummer

if u have a better  head idea lm open to ideas but cant afford a laney aor100 

heres some links to the type stuff im playin currently

;index=59&list=PLbxmZqg9sXM1G4xVZp2a76PcrOjpolYIF

;index=45&list=WL
Last edited by artandsoul at Jun 20, 2017,
i dunno all those bands seem to be using some kind of fuzz not amp distortion. the VK has a good clean channel so likely would be a good choice provided you have pedals that are up to the task. 
true these bands use pedals and sometimes overdrive on the head without pedals and I can get semi close to sound with the randall 150 ss head with pedals but at higher volumes past 5 it sounded thin and not enough headroom before head started to distort sound or get raspy and crap sounding. at lower 2-4 volumes its awsome but in a live situation or cranked past 5 randall was thin and lifeless regardless of eq settings pedal settings etc.

Since i have only played solid state amps ever i figure im missing the tube head sound these bands use with pedals to get more low end and warmth

would the peavey vk100 be a warmer cleaner sound when cranked than the randall rg1503?

the randall is a perfect dimebag tone a mid cut sound all treble and low end, sounds great for squeely high gain hell 

I know im looking for a 1000.00 tube head sound for 400.00 lmao and it doesnt exist but want to get closer than i am for the time being
Quote by artandsoul
true these bands use pedals and sometimes overdrive on the head without pedals and I can get semi close to sound with the randall 150 ss head with pedals but at higher volumes past 5 it sounded thin and not enough headroom before head started to distort sound or get raspy and crap sounding. at lower 2-4 volumes its awsome but in a live situation or cranked past 5 randall was thin and lifeless regardless of eq settings pedal settings etc.

Since i have only played solid state amps ever i figure im missing the tube head sound these bands use with pedals to get more low end and warmth

would the peavey vk100 be a warmer cleaner sound when cranked than the randall rg1503?

the randall is a perfect dimebag tone a mid cut sound all treble and low end, sounds great for squeely high gain hell 

I know im looking for a 1000.00 tube head sound for 400.00 lmao and it doesnt exist but want to get closer than i am for the time being

the VK will certainly sound better than the randall however it won't give you a Dime type tone with more warmth. it will sound warmer though. the VK doesn't have a great high gain sound it does medium and low gain pretty well but not modern high gain. with help from an overdrive you can push it further.  find that once the gain goes past 5 it suffers 
Ok, i def dont want a dime bag tone lol  just saying thats what the randall sounds like icky pick highs 

does the vk have more headroom than the randall 150?   I guess i could say is it more ballsy, fuller sounding and louder than the randall 

since I will be only using the clean channel and pedals does the vk clean channel break up much when volume cranked?
 you said it suffers but didnt know if that was clean channel or dirty channel u were talking about.

i have read around about changing tube in v1 with a tung-sol 12ax7 to make it a tad less harsh but thats another thread all together
Clean channel will stay clean to a reasonable point.it will work fine for you. Yes I was talking about dirt channel
Quote by monwobobbo
Clean channel will stay clean to a reasonable point.it will work fine for you.  Yes I was talking about dirt channel

ok thanks for the replys!   most likely going with the valveking 2 since im concerned the 50w jet city wont have enough clean headroom 
only other amp i found in my price range is a used peavey windsor head for 285.00 with flight case but i hear windsor is 1 channel with not great cleans but can be achieved with tube change!? wish i could hear the heads in person but i cant im goin off youtube and forum reviews mainly and everyones opinons are revery mixed on everything 
I've never played a Windsor but I understand it's their version of a JCM800.  What about a used ValveKing 1?  Those things are dirt cheap.  I had a ValveKing 112 for a short period and thought the clean channel was nice, especially for the price.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
yes the vk1 is pretty cheap around 200-250 max used anywhere, read that a few 70s rock stoner style bands say windsor was great with tube change for ballsy 70s rock sound and worked better for that sound

at these prices they are cheap enough for me to buy both used and decide myself what works better for my sound.

thinking of going ahead and pulling the trigger in the windsor for now since it doesn come with flightcase and look out for a vk cheap in a month if windsor doesnt suit my needs.

seems like the windsor heads are getting more sought after by guys looking for 70s sound who cant afford the marshall jcm800 if i dont like it shouldnt be to hard to sell off again.
got the windsor here today busted wont make any noise at all so have to ship it back and go find a valveking now lol should have got the valveking to start with i guess its the guitar gods letting me know that now, but i really blame ups for there crapping shipping