So I have a fender Duo Sonic (2016 reissue)
I got it in December and it played great hell I love the thing
It's June I thought 6months I should change my strings πŸ˜”
So I go down to my local Guitar center and buy NY XL
Same gauge and everything standard 10s - 46
I maybe messed with the Saddle before hand but that didn't effect my other strings that I played the night before
I took the strings off my guitar and went out for a few hours and when to put the new strings on I noticed
That the tightness of the strings were disgustingly tight so I tried stretching them as I read I should do that didn't do anything at all...
I for about 4 hours tired to
Figure out what was the issue I played with the saddles
I restrung it a different way I stretched them
More i don't what to do
When you wound up the strings did you make sure to keep tension on them? After the first wind-up and the string is in position, you can keep the tension by pulling up on the string til it's tense until you're at the desired pitch. I used to have problems with my Floyd but keeping tension solved everything.
While you were winding it did you leave the strings slack? Also how much room did you leave at the tuners before you began tuning i.e. how much of the string was through the tuning peg?
odnetninadlez at first I put barely any because I fucked I thought it was the issue so I got another string then I put a little more in like about 2 or 3 inches worth but i ended up widing it for a while and had like 5 times around with the string so I tried versions ways with different strings and none it worked I'm out of low E strings now ☹️
The fretbuzz is probably because of the string tightness. Try down-tuning to a comfortable tension and see if it still buzzes.

As for the strings I'd say again to make sure to keep tension as you're winding the string. Leave enough room for approx 2-3 turns on the low strings and 5-8 on the high strings.
odnetninadlez
The oddest thing happened just now
I went over to my guitar and plucked th stings
The only issue is the hard to turn tuners
The buzzing vanished πŸ€”πŸ€”
So are the strings still very tense?
Does it feel like if you bend them they'll snap?
You may have to buy another set and try again, while this time keeping the tension on the strings as I mentioned.
odnetninadlez so I need to keep tension on them when I'm widing next time
TIll at least three times around the peg
And how much string should I put through the peg hole would you say ??
phaynes4648 It depends on each string. Like I said, approx 2-3 on the lower, 5-8 on the higher ones. As long as you keep tension this should help a lot. I would suggest buying new strings because these ones won't wind as easily, but give it a try by unwinding one and rewinding it with tension. This should make a difference.
Here's a question. Are you tuned an octave too high on the whole guitar?
If you don't have a tuner that tells you what OCTAVE you've tuned to, you may have tuned to an E, but one an octave higher than you should be.

These are the normal guitar tuning and frequencies: E2=82.41Hz, A2=110Hz, D3=146.8Hz, G3=196Hz, B3=246.9Hz, E4=329.6Hz
The E2 on the bottom string means that you tune to the second octave E, and so on.

If you have to downtune your strings, start with the smallest string first, NOT with the low E (you might snap your high E if you start with the low ones first).
If you're tuning to a piano, remember that a guitar's tuning is mostly (all but one string) *below* middle C ( C4=261.6Hz ). That's why guitar music is written an octave too high; because it would have to be read nearly all in the bass clef if it weren't.

Keep us posted and don't be embarrassed if this is what happened to you. It's pretty common.
dspellman I did that thing with the tension and it atill odnetninadlez a bit tight idk what I'm
Doing wrong maybe dspellman is correct and the octaves are off I've never had this issue with
My guitar I've restrung it plenty of time but this is my only guitar ATM so it's not like I can just put it down and wait for money to buy another pair I'm having issues stringing this particular guitar
Last edited by phaynes4648 at Jun 21, 2017,
I'm wondering if we wound the strings around the tuner pegs too much because if it's the Duo-Sonic Reissue I think he's reverring to (the new Mexican ones, not the older Squier Vintage Vibe ones), if the strings wind around too much, they bottom out on the bushings and then that can make the tuners hard to turn and can even break the tuners if they are not that strong. Typically you just need between 3/3/4/5/6/6 winds (low to thigh) for each string.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Mad-Mike_J83 yes it is the reissue sorry I forgot to
Mention that
I tired again with an A string and it snapped off it was good but still a little tight i thought I'd stretch it and it snapped I hope I'm not damaging my tuners 😦
phaynes4648

Might be worth it. Admittedly, this is a bit odd. A set of 10's should not be putting that much stress on a 24" scale guitar that they break at regular pitch. Science says it's practically impossible unless it's being tuned too high. Where are the strings breaking off BTW? Nut, tuner, bridge?
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Mad-Mike_J83 it's breaking at the tuners each time I did it like
THe videos on YouTube even the official fender one
And I tried a method by PRS
And no.... this is frustrating because I am sort missing my old string at this point πŸ˜–
I thought they were a bigger gauge because of how it fit but I realized when I got the old string to compare they're the same size 😳
I got fender bullet strings cuz I'm on a budget now I been buying Those NY XL
I don't even want to try to restring it now
Quote by phaynes4648
I'm done guys
I tried to adjust the truss rod only making it worse
I quiet
If you kept track of what you did to the truss rod, put it back to how it was. It simply does not play a role in this, so it's best left alone entirely. The most likely answer, to me, seems to be the suggestion that you're tuning an octave high, which should be easy to rectify.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by phaynes4648
K33nbl4d3 it's all too late at this point I messed it up entirely I need a professional set up
That's fair enough, but if you can, try to get whoever sets it up to show you what they're doing. Everything you're likely to need to adjust on an electric guitar is pretty much always designed to be easy to adjust, and it takes a lot less knowledge than you might imagine to be able to do the basics yourself.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
K33nbl4d3 how would I adjust the octave I have one more pack of strings left

The truss rod affects how the guitar feels in your hand ? Cuz when I was adjusting
It I got to a point where it felt like normal and the string got tighter for some reason so I adjusted more like a spazzioid
Quote by phaynes4648
K33nbl4d3 how would I adjust the octave I have one more pack of strings left

The truss rod affects how the guitar feels in your hand ? Cuz when I was adjusting
It I got to a point where it felt like normal and the string got tighter for some reason so I adjusted more like a spazzioid

The truss rod didn't exist on some older guitars. Old Martins, for example, don't have truss rods. The truss rod doesn't affect how the guitar feels in your hand, and you don't want to adjust the truss rod, generally more than a quarter turn at a time. Truss rods are meant to adjust the "relief" or slight curve of the neck (if needed) according to the string tension. Leave it alone for now.

Find a tuner that will tell you what octave you're tuning to. Your low E should be E2. I have a couple that are free apps on my iPhone that do that.
This is a shot from one of the tuners in GuitarToolKit:

And here's a different tuner from the same app:

Note that they both list the note (G), the octave (3) and the frequency (the first one is about 7 cents flat at 195.2 Hz).
dspellman thank you All after going through several strings I finally got it I just need to adjust my action my strings bend really easy now and stay in tune pretty alright
The only thing that I notice is the tone is a lot brighter with these fender bullet strings
It sounds clearer

I realized what I was doing wrong I stupidly didn't correctly use tension when widing them

dspellman odnetninadlez K33nbl4d3 Mad-Mike_J83
Thank you all I appreciate your help guys πŸ™‚
New strings will generally sound brighter. A friend of mine uses his strings almost until they break. He has stalactites hanging off the underside of his strings. I'm not sure how he plays at all; the strings are like hacksaw blades. And then he complains that new strings sound too bright. Oy.

Glad you got things worked out. Usually, once these things are figured out, you never do them again.